Rescue And Facebook

I have been tossing the idea over and over in my head. Sure, it's good to get the plight of the animals in pounds all over Australia to the public, but can it also be used for the wrong reasons. You can be anyone you like on the internet, you can come across as holier than thou, but you can be quite the opposite in private and then you have to wonder, is it really for the dogs. You might come from a sales/marketing background and know what trigger words to use to get people's attention, they know what gets people in, then, before long, you have thousands of blind minions obeying your every word, the same brainless ones who are sucked in by tv marketing campaigns, who blindly buy something because of the spiel that's sprung, come on, I know you've watched the infomercials, the shopping channels with their dolled up presenters all looking gorgeous and handsome (some) that have you mesmerised, so much you can't look away. . Whenever you turn on the TV, that channel is in your favourites, you can't get enough. I know you've all wanted to buy those crap exercise ab crunchers, that don't work, you've even seen them on the kerbside, thrown out, because they don't work, but still, you want one, so, you've parted with your money and that's the desired result of the marketing company and distributor. You've become disillusioned, you're angry, you've been duped, had, you're never going to even watch that channel again, buy from the same seller, but for your leaving, a hundred will take your place. And blindly they come.......like zombies.......like moths to a flame. I've seen rescues with a cult-like status, again, it's like they are hypnotised, they hang on every word, idolise the leader, even when it's there for them to see in black and white that all is not what it seems, still, they don't see it, they are brain washed, they have stopped thinking for themselves, they are lost in the hype, they want to be part of it all, they crave it, like a drug.

There are bad apples in every barrel.

Do you throw the babies out with the bathwater or do you try to educate people to take responsibilities for their own decisions?

(sorry for the mixed metaphors - I don't usually wash babies in barrels laugh.gif)

Edited to add: Facebook and other social media is not evil of itself. It is just a tool, and like a sledgehammer can be used for good or bad. It doesn't mean that we should restrict the sale and use of sledgehammers to protect the innocent.

Edited by RuralPug

I run a pound page on facebook and regularly monitor who joins. We also have a say over which rescue takes a dog from the pound and if they have a sketchy past/present they don't get the dog. So far (touch wood) every dog (excluding a few for behavioural and health issues) has been rehomed privately or to quality rescue organisations via here, the website and on facebook and they are all now in happy and safe environments. If you're smart about regulating the members of the page and develop a good relationship with the pound I don't see a problem with using facebook as a medium.

Personally I hear exactly what the OP is saying. *flame suit* The amount of absolute lies spun for the sake of getting a reaction is amazing. Not just rescue BTW but getting a couple of dogs and starting a FB page does not make you a rescue.

BYB's masquerading as rescue. Collectors handing out unvetworked "rescued" animals (at least they're not dead right?). Making up tall stories to get donations and have people call you an angel... knowing the whole time you'll PTS. Bashing former owners, bashing reg breeders, pulling out fanciful unverified stories of abuse, bait dogs or puppy farms to get people in a blind tizzy. The whole Moorook scandal.... omg seriously deranged people being used to make it impossible for volunteers to continue in safety. The poor woman whom they believed reported Moorook had all her details published for every nutter to see! :vomit:

Is that creating awareness of animal welfare or is it creating a culture of viral hysteria?

Ruralpug, yes you have a very very good point too. So many lost pets have been reunited and many pound animals have found safety. Good rescues run absolutely fantastic pages and hats off the the people who run pound pages virtually 24/7! :thumbsup:

Signed: Long done with FB and living in a happy bubble. :)

Facebook has the potential for being an awesome place to get the message out about rescue in general... however, it's populated by way too many crazy people for my liking.

Seriously, if I ever need reminding that my sanity is actually intact, I jump on Facebook and start reading a few of the more scary rescue pages... and feel a whole lot better about my own mental faculties... *grin*

It needs to be moderated judiciously IMHO.

T.

I could wish that you'd been brain washed into buying some full stops. And really, characterizing your audience as mindless zombies isn't a good method for selling your message. Social media is like every other form of communication; it can be well or poorly used, critical thinking skills are still necessary.

I understand exactly where pugdaddy is coming from.

In fact I have deleted almost every single link to rescue I had on my FB and I refuse all new requests to follow rescues groups.

I follow a select few that I believe are great rescues that are sending the right messages to the public. There are many doing this that aren't obviously on my FB links so please don't think I am saying there are only a couple.

The hero worshipping, the crazy people involved - FB has given the nutters an opportunity to bask in godlike nutcase status. :crazy:

facebook is a tool, just like any other form of communication. I'm sure that crazy nutbags promulgated garbage even in the days when only papyrus was to hand. Telephones are used to make obscene and threatening phone calls but no one ever says that people shouldn't be allowed to use a telephone. Blame the crazies and the unscrupulous rather than the medium used which is in itself value-neutral.

Used properly I think that facebook can be an amazing way to educate the public, let them know about the status of various dogs and let them see where there donations are going.

I also like paragraphs - paragraphs are good and make big chunks of text easier to read :)

Edited by koalathebear

After my experiences yesterday. No I don't think it's a good idea. After having my name tagged in a comment by a particular rescue, naming me as a breeder & essentially indicating I have no idea about rescue & insinuating I'm contributing to the problem. Despite repeated replies stating that I've never bred a litter nor do I intend to, that I have worked voluntarily in breed rescue for many years as well as working at a shelter (all of which were deleted) and despite repeated attempts to contact said rescue to ask then to remove my name - it's still there and I've had no response.

This will probably sound extremely trivial to people, I understand that, BUT one of my pet hates is liars and lying, and I do NOT want my name associated with an overpopulation problem when it's a complete lie. I'm fuming to be honest and having supported this rescue in the past - no more.

After my experiences yesterday. No I don't think it's a good idea. After having my name tagged in a comment by a particular rescue, naming me as a breeder & essentially indicating I have no idea about rescue & insinuating I'm contributing to the problem. Despite repeated replies stating that I've never bred a litter nor do I intend to, that I have worked voluntarily in breed rescue for many years as well as working at a shelter (all of which were deleted) and despite repeated attempts to contact said rescue to ask then to remove my name - it's still there and I've had no response.

This will probably sound extremely trivial to people, I understand that, BUT one of my pet hates is liars and lying, and I do NOT want my name associated with an overpopulation problem when it's a complete lie. I'm fuming to be honest and having supported this rescue in the past - no more.

I think I know which rescue you’re talking about. I follow them on facebook and had thought about helping out previously but don't want anything to do with them anymore. Most of the people commenting have no idea and I just wanted to bang my head. It made me really cranky yesterday. I don't think posts like that by rescues are helpful...

FB is just one of many fora though. The above seems to suggest that rescue shouldn't have access to the internet or any form of communication. Don't forget that defamation taken to its most basic is a defamatory statement made to a third party. This could be in person. The issue is the people in question not the media, which is value-neutral.

Edited by koalathebear

I think I know which rescue you’re talking about. I follow them on facebook and had thought about helping out previously but don't want anything to do with them anymore. Most of the people commenting have no idea and I just wanted to bang my head. It made me really cranky yesterday. I don't think posts like that by rescues are helpful...

IF we're talking about the same one - I can't tell you how cranky I am about the whole thing!

I wouldn't mind if I'd said inflammatory, silly things... but all my comments (and other peoples too) were deleted when I was actually told I was a breeder (mine was the only name tagged however) and that I should walk a week in their shoes (ie IN rescue) - I think what upset them was the fact that I replied and said (for the third or fourth time) - 'I DON'T breed, never have, never will,I HAVE worked as a volunteer in breed rescue in the UK and here for many years, I have worked and volunteered at the AWL shelter'.

All of my comments were polite. All of my requests to remove my name have been polite. I don't do rude, and I don't do lying.

I honestly think they've left the comment there to try and make ME and people they have called 'breeder' look responsible for the rise in rescue cases, (whilst deleting all other comments that made the conversation in context) BECAUSE I made them look silly by answering their accusations as I did (see above re volunteering).

It's the only reason I can think of.

And make no mistake, they aren't just blaming byb, they're blaming what most of us would consider ethical, responsible breeders who health test etc... .they're guns a blazing.

And yes, koalabear, you're absolutely right - it's the people involved not the delivery system itself.

Yes - must be the same one :)

That's what annoyed me the most - blaming everyone including the ethical responsible breeders. The things they say don't make sense. Of course I want BYB's to stop pumping them out for $$ or just because they want their dog to have one litter, etc. but I would never want all breeding to stop. I love this breed and when my current dog's pass away I want another SBT.

They need to focus on the actual problem/s and not lump everyone into the same basket. Not just put a post up that they know will cause arguements.

Just to clarify - I am not a breeder - never will be - but I will always have an SBT or two in my house.

Nothing on that thread makes any sense any more as they've deleted so many comments.

As I said, had I got heated of into a debate I could understand, but not ONE word that could've been misconstrued in any way passed my keyboard.

The stafford 'problem' is one that's across the board, and singling out one group over another and alienating that group is never going to help. Singling out one person who has supported rescue & trying to make them look daft isn't going to work either.

A lot of my former work colleagues (awl) posted in my defence (ridiculous as I have nothing to be defended over other than their falsehoods) and a lot of their comments were taken off too.

They're burning the wrong bridges right there.

If the person who runs the page happens to frequent dol, I'll ask again, please remove my name from your comment. You know by now something of my background & therefore that your comment is unfounded & false.

The fact that there are some people in rescue who can't think from A to B without stopping for a rest isn't a Facebook issue. :laugh: Facebook just gives them a better forum for displaying the crazy, which is probably a good thing - better to know who they are. There's one group who make me shake my head all the time - if strategic thinking were Superman, they'd be Kryptonite.

Our last blog post was about the need for more evidence-based thinking in rescue: http://www.headingfo...-animal-rescue/

There are groups who make terrific use of Facebook to engage their community of supporters. Rescued with Love and Fetching Dogs both do it differently, but really well - they're excellent examples of using the tool in way which enhances your reputation and builds your brand in a professional manner. I suspect that some of the rescues who don't do it well, tend not to think of what they do an business-like enterprise which requires a professional approach, but an extension of their private life.

Edited to add: we actually have a social media policy which outlines our values and approach. http://www.headingforhome.asn.au/about-us/our-social-media-policy/

Edited by Aphra

I would love to help out/foster with Fetching Dogs and if I do end up in Sydney I certainly will be putting my hand up. They seem to be level headed and sensible from what I have seen by following them on facebook. They don't ever post crap and it all seems to be about the dogs.

[i honestly think they've left the comment there to try and make ME and people they have called 'breeder' look responsible for the rise in rescue cases, (whilst deleting all other comments that made the conversation in context) BECAUSE I made them look silly by answering their accusations as I did (see above re volunteering).

It's the only reason I can think of.

And make no mistake, they aren't just blaming byb, they're blaming what most of us would consider ethical, responsible breeders who health test etc... .they're guns a blazing.

And yes, koalabear, you're absolutely right - it's the people involved not the delivery system itself.

TT, I don't know the particular rescue.... but I totally understand your concern about how your comments, polite & informative, were wiped.

And my guess as to reason.... would be the same as yours.

There's an unfortunate over-generalized mantra that some groups keep hammering to the public. That is, 'Breeders' cause the pet 'over-population' problem, which leads to the huge numbers of dumped dogs in pounds/shelters.' And they won't listen to any critique that this is such an over-generalization, that it doesn't tell us anything about the actual situation.

It's the same as saying, 'People cause the crime problem which leads to large numbers being in jail.'. Where that can only make sense if teased out.... 'Which people?' and 'What do those particular people do?'... as well as 'And who are the people who don't commit crime in the first place?'

It seems you did try to tease out the meaningless overgeneralization.... with sound anecdotal evidence from your experience. And it was at that point, you got 'wiped'. Because these people are on an emotional witch-hunt.... not a rational search for how to best understand why many dogs are dumped.

There's even some evidence from studies that puppies bred by home-style, hobby, non-commercial breeders are less likely to develop the problems that get dogs dumped. And that's the working style found among registered breeders. There's also evidence that these registered breeders tend to have better control over numbers of litters. All 'breeders' are not the same in what they do & what are the consequences.

Edited by mita

I think extremists of any sort are always alarming and irrational and it's upsetting when they air these twisted views on a public forum.

I own one purebred dog from a registered and responsible breeder, one rescue dog and one crossbred mutt. All are equally beloved in this household and I feel like I have a foot in each of the three camps (yeah I have three legs) so it's upsetting to me when people say all crossbreeds are evil/bad/stupid, all breeders are evil or rescue is akin to BYB etc.

I think sensible rescue groups know exactly where the problem lies and that's not with responsible breeders. It's with:

1. Backyard breeders/puppy farmers who breed indiscriminately and do not take responsibility for the dogs they create.

2. People who do not desex their dogs AND do not manage their dogs and do not take responsibility for the dogs they create.

With the group I'm with, the founders were very open about sourcing their latest dog from a responsible, registered breeder rather than rescue. Their other two dogs are from rescue but there was no backlash or hostility towards breeders because they know that those aren't the people who dump their dogs and make them someone else's problem.

Edited by koalathebear

Agree, KB (of the 3 legs!) :) .

Seriously, there's no need for the 3 'groups' of dogs & the people who take care of them, to be natural born enemies. The thing they should have in common is trying to give dogs the best chances to enjoy a safe life as companions with people.

You're right, that shows up beautifully in households where purebred dogs, mixed breed dogs & rescued dogs of either kind, are equally loved as pets. We've had p/b shelties, living side by side with a rescued p/b sheltie and also a little rescued mixed breed dog. All precious.

The problems come when bunches of highly emotional people get one overgeneralized idea in their head & push it as the one thing which will save the entire dog world. And will not listen to any evidence that actually would contribute to making many dogs' lives better & more secure.

Edited by mita