Rescue And Facebook

Lying and bashing and sympathy trips gets more comments and more 'likes'. So more things show up in people's newsfeeds and bring more of the same.

And if the sole reason you spam your own page with crap is to get attention and validation you've got a genuine problem. Delete what you like. But the rescue world is small, and people know when your pants are on fire. :laugh:

Edited by Powerlegs

Yes, unforutnately facebook is a tool that can be as beneficial and productive as the people using it. The group I foster for uses it really well I think - it's a communication tool to provide information and updates about the dogs we have in care to our followers, who are very loyal and get very attached to our dogs. The way that our group's page is used reflects the general philosophy and modus operandi of the group, though, which aims to be professional, accountable and protect its well earned reputation.

In general, I think that rescues' facebooks reflect their approach to operating more broadly - so yes, some will be more like a communication tool, others will be all over the place and give the impression (which is often accurate, in my experience) that things are chaotic, last minute and it's just a constant race to get dogs out from under the needle and ferry them off into any home that someone makes available.

I also find it bizarre that some rescue organisations will actually call out for foster carers on their facebook page, and then drop a dog off to some random person who comments. If I ran a group, there is no way that I would take a dog from a pound and drop it off to someone who responded to a facebook post, who I have no knowledge or background with. I just.. the mind boggles.

You can run a rescue like a reputable organisation, or you can run a shoddy operatleads you all day :laugh: Over 'n out!

I would love to help out/foster with Fetching Dogs and if I do end up in Sydney I certainly will be putting my hand up. They seem to be level headed and sensible from what I have seen by following them on facebook. They don't ever post crap and it all seems to be about the dogs.

Good choice Lisey :)

I occasionally foster for them and do all their photography and I highly recommend them as a group to get involved with :thumbsup:

[i honestly think they've left the comment there to try and make ME and people they have called 'breeder' look responsible for the rise in rescue cases, (whilst deleting all other comments that made the conversation in context) BECAUSE I made them look silly by answering their accusations as I did (see above re volunteering).

It's the only reason I can think of.

And make no mistake, they aren't just blaming byb, they're blaming what most of us would consider ethical, responsible breeders who health test etc... .they're guns a blazing.

And yes, koalabear, you're absolutely right - it's the people involved not the delivery system itself.

TT, I don't know the particular rescue.... but I totally understand your concern about how your comments, polite & informative, were wiped.

And my guess as to reason.... would be the same as yours.

There's an unfortunate over-generalized mantra that some groups keep hammering to the public. That is, 'Breeders' cause the pet 'over-population' problem, which leads to the huge numbers of dumped dogs in pounds/shelters.' And they won't listen to any critique that this is such an over-generalization, that it doesn't tell us anything about the actual situation.

It's the same as saying, 'People cause the crime problem which leads to large numbers being in jail.'. Where that can only make sense if teased out.... 'Which people?' and 'What do those particular people do?'... as well as 'And who are the people who don't commit crime in the first place?'

It seems you did try to tease out the meaningless overgeneralization.... with sound anecdotal evidence from your experience. And it was at that point, you got 'wiped'. Because these people are on an emotional witch-hunt.... not a rational search for how to best understand why many dogs are dumped.

There's even some evidence from studies that puppies bred by home-style, hobby, non-commercial breeders are less likely to develop the problems that get dogs dumped. And that's the working style found among registered breeders. There's also evidence that these registered breeders tend to have better control over numbers of litters. All 'breeders' are not the same in what they do & what are the consequences.

It's just all a bit crackers tbh.

They had my full support up until this ridiculousness.

I'm just sat shaking my head now really.

BUT, what I won't give up on, is making sure my name is taken down. I have nothing to do with breeding. And it's not even that link that I resent, it's the fact that MY name is being used as a scapegoat. You've got people on there saying 'yeah - all you breeders/greeders are at fault' or words to that effect. I won't be used as a target!

They're still deleting comments made by people who are offering sensible, constructive words. If they dont' like it - that's it, comments are gone, person can't post again.

Lying and bashing and sympathy trips gets more comments and more 'likes'. So more things show up in people's newsfeeds and bring more of the same.

And if the sole reason you spam your own page with crap is to get attention and validation you've got a genuine problem. Delete what you like. But the rescue world is small, and people know when your pants are on fire. :laugh:

It certainly is.. I've had messages from people who are only acquaintances asking what the heck is going on?

I've told them you're guess is as good as mine.

Whoever runs the group, well, they're burning the wrong bridges, they really are.

I wish they would just delete the bit Iwant deleting though - not the bits THEY

want deleted for their own glory.... sigh...

I would love to help out/foster with Fetching Dogs and if I do end up in Sydney I certainly will be putting my hand up. They seem to be level headed and sensible from what I have seen by following them on facebook. They don't ever post crap and it all seems to be about the dogs.

I occasionally foster for them and do all their photography and I highly recommend them as a group to get involved with :thumbsup:

:D I follow a few rescue groups on facebook and Fetching Dogs are my favourite. Nothing is ever put up just to get an emotive irrational response from followers . I love how they've recently changed from listing dogs as 'insert breed x' unless it's actually known what they are. It just makes sense.

And chances are I will be moving to Sydney next year(ish) so I will definitely be getting in contact with them then.

:D I follow a few rescue groups on facebook and Fetching Dogs are my favourite. Nothing is ever put up just to get an emotive irrational response from followers . I love how they've recently changed from listing dogs as 'insert breed x' unless it's actually known what they are. It just makes sense.

And chances are I will be moving to Sydney next year(ish) so I will definitely be getting in contact with them then.

I'm also an occasional foster carer and helper-outer where I can for FD, and can also say you've made a good choice! :thumbsup:

Some rescues will use Facebook as a tool to get them noticed. They crave the attention and will stop at nothing to obtain their daily fix of adulation. Even stooping to naming and shaming other rescues who disagree with their point of view . They play the victim but in fact they are nothing but attention seeking bullies .

Some rescues will use Facebook as a tool to get them noticed. They crave the attention and will stop at nothing to obtain their daily fix of adulation. Even stooping to naming and shaming other rescues who disagree with their point of view . They play the victim but in fact they are nothing but attention seeking bullies .

bingo

BUT, what I won't give up on, is making sure my name is taken down. I have nothing to do with breeding. And it's not even that link that I resent, it's the fact that MY name is being used as a scapegoat. You've got people on there saying 'yeah - all you breeders/greeders are at fault' or words to that effect. I won't be used as a target!

They're still deleting comments made by people who are offering sensible, constructive words. If they dont' like it - that's it, comments are gone, person can't post again.

I can understand your being furious about how they're using your name. Typical of highly emotional witch-hunting ... innocent people get strung up.

And also typical .... no factual information, that would challenge their mantra, accepted from anyone else.