Standing An Unshown Dog At Stud

louise40

I was just wanting to get peoples thoughts on allowing an unshown male to stand at stud.

My little man Ryley (AKA Jeabo Sparks will fly) is a beautiful boy and of course is completely health tested. He has lovely conformation and is from some very good lines. I have used him over my bitch Bobby, (aka Hillani Bobby Dazzler) and the puppies he throws are simply stunning. :thumbsup:

However, we are not really into the showing side of things, so he is untitled and I was just wanting to get peoples opinion on standing him at at stud to approved bitches, and perhaps how I would go about it considering he is not seen by other breeders in the show ring. I certainly don't want to be pushing him on to other breeders, or cold calling - Im not into that at all, just wanted to let them know he is available and may be a good possible match for their breeding bitches.

You best bet is probably his breeder if that isn't you.

She'll know his potential and might be able to advertise him through her contacts.

Your other option is to put some titles on the back end of his name - that could improve his attractiveness to some bitches' owners.

Your last option is to grow a show coat on him (I assume he's a poodle) and get someone to show him for you.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I used an unshown dog over my bitch, he had proven his merit in the field however and I assessed his conformation and asked my breed mentors to as well.

So your dog doesn't like to show, what else can you do to prove his merit? If nothing why would someone use your dog over thier bitch as opposed to another one that is titled in a discipline.

It might pay to join DOL and create a profile for him. Also contact his breeder and update them with his health results, he might fit into thier program.

Fine to put him to stud if he is a good quality dog & a worthy specimen IMO.

Not everyone likes or enjoys showing & it is unfeasible for some for other reasons. The dog may be great but not like it either.

No idea how to advertise as my boys are not put out to stud. If you have your breeder details on here it can show that you have a stud dog in your advertisement.

Guessing there are not so many mini poodles in Tasmania.

It really makes no difference if the dog has a million titles or none - for a stud dog you need a dog with the virtues your bitch needs, the pedigree to back them up and (eventually) proof he throws his virtues.

If he's "well bred" then advertise him and see what happens. Weed out the obvious idiots and if someone with a good bitch and the right intentions wants to use him then grab the opportunity.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am a relatively new breeder. So just want to learn as much as I can so that I can do the right things as a breeder. His breeder (owns his mother) isn't a shower either haredown, however he has numerous champions in his pedigree, including his father. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of a mentor in Tassie where we live and both our poodles came from breeders interstate which makes it tricky.

He has only sired one litter so far, as he is only 2 y.o and I only have 1 breeding bitch. Therefore his pups are still less then 12 months old. None have been shown as they all went to family homes. I prioritise finding good loving forever homes for pups over ensuring a pup will have a show career.

RallyValley you're right, and I have often thought this myself. I guess what I am seeing as Ryley's big selling point are the results from our colour coat testing. Ryley has tested genetically pure black. (BB) That is he doesn't carry any brown or yellow gene. From what I understand he may be the only dog with this pure colouring in Australia. I realise this is a HUGE call, so if anyone has more info on this I would love to know. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

For breeders of blacks I'd of thought this would be pretty desirable.

Thank you again for your insights. :)

I guess what I am seeing as Ryley's big selling point are the results from our colour coat testing.

Colour is just that, simply colour.

Conformation before colour no mater what !

I DNA coat colour test my dogs but conformation wins out, hell I would use a pink dog if it had what I needed.

so who has assessed him as having lovely conformation and that his pups are stunning? You need an unbiased opinion or two. Then you can decide whether it's worth the cost of advertising him etc.

so who has assessed him as having lovely conformation and that his pups are stunning? You need an unbiased opinion or two. Then you can decide whether it's worth the cost of advertising him etc.

Agreed,

I would be trying to find some people that will give you their honest opinion about him.

They may have different things that they pick up that they like or don't, no biggy but listen. Take what they say on board, get as many opinions as you can from people who know. If you can get some of his progeny looked at as well. If there is a weakness or strength a person comments on ask why they think it is a weakenss or strength.

Be prepared to not like what you hear.

Get him a profile on DOL and if he has the bloodlines and conformation people want they will contact you.

Titles do not make a better dog however the time and effort taken to gain those titles put him out there and into the public eye where people may like what they see and wish to use what he has.

The chances of people on the mainland using him without any credentials to his name i would say is slim as there are plenty of choices out there with similar lines so it comes down to what makes him more special than all the other Poodles out there ??

So basically you will be looking at the local breeders in which case that will be easy ,take him to a show & let them see him & assess him.If they like what they see they will use him .

As a stud dog owner you need to share the good & bad no dog is perfect so you need to now his faults & his good points & be able to explain to any inquiries this & why he may/may not be suitable for "bitches"

I agree with others that his DNA colour status would be at the lower end of the scale in selecting a stud dog ,so many other things of far more importance to look at first off that for me would simply be a bonus in a complete package if i wanted that aswell.

As a bitch owner, I seek out dogs I feel are the best match, (titles or not) I don't need anyone advertising, calling or 'pimping' their males for me to find them. I have a breed that's not common and there aren't many out there but I've found them (mostly in back yards in families)

Finding a hidden treasure happens, and finding one with an attribute that is unique is great. At the end of the day, I decide if it's worth the effort to continue on the journey with this found treasure.

As a stud dog owner, I don't advertise my males. I don't call bitch owners or seek out stud services for him. My motivations are for my own breeding program. If someone else wants what my boys have, and I agree it's a good mating, we go ahead. I kick back more than I agree to. My males are for my use first and foremost and never have I owned a boy with the belief or intent that he would 'stand at stud' because I think he's perfect and so must everyone else that lays eyes on him. I have a boy here at the moment with a pedigree that no one else has in a male in this country due to imported lines and unused by other breeders dogs in Europe. He's produced a litter that has turned out nicely with two exports to top breeding/showing kennels. Is it enough to make me feel he should 'stand at stud' and that everyone else will appreciate his virtues? Not really....he's a decent dog, and I like him and what he's produced...others may not..it's a matter of taste. He can have all the best health testing in the world but if he's not someones 'cup of tea' he won't be sought after. that's fine...I don't own males for the sake of others, I own them for my own future in my breed.

Just my thoughts when it comes to this sort of thread.

I used an unshown dog over my bitch, he had proven his merit in the field however and I assessed his conformation and asked my breed mentors to as well.

So your dog doesn't like to show, what else can you do to prove his merit? If nothing why would someone use your dog over thier bitch as opposed to another one that is titled in a discipline.

It might pay to join DOL and create a profile for him. Also contact his breeder and update them with his health results, he might fit into thier program.

Pedigree - the most important thing to consider when choosing a stud dog.

Yes it is Bisart, but that is something for the bitch owner to determine not something the stud dog owner can help :) . That probably wasn't worded all that well but if I had a choice of two similar dogs with similar lines and one had proved it could still do the traditional work of the breed and the other couldn't it's really a no brainer for me. Although I am in a 'dual' breed where working ability must be maintained or we will end up being a split breed, with show and working lines like too many other gundog breeds.

Given it's now come out the OP has Poodles it's probably not that relevant a comment now. :)

Yes it is Bisart, but that is something for the bitch owner to determine not something the stud dog owner can help :) . That probably wasn't worded all that well but if I had a choice of two similar dogs with similar lines and one had proved it could still do the traditional work of the breed and the other couldn't it's really a no brainer for me. Although I am in a 'dual' breed where working ability must be maintained or we will end up being a split breed, with show and working lines like too many other gundog breeds.

Given it's now come out the OP has Poodles it's probably not that relevant a comment now. :)

"Pedigree - the most important thing to consider when choosing a stud dog." Yes, I agree but also look at the conformation of the dog and bitch. I have used full brothers over the same bitch and the puppies were very different.