Advice Needed On Rottweiler And Little Dogs

Cartersmum

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is such a lovely looking boy. I have a bulldog and it seems other dogs don't really like the wrinkly faced dogs because they can't read them which could explain his initial reactions to the pug. I guess there could also be some contributing nervousness from the little dogs and their handlers because of the perceptions of your dog as a breed.

I would think he has a good chance if this just being a bump in the road if you get it nipped in the bud with some professional help.

I can't add anything else to the excellent advice that most posters gave. My feeling was.... this is DOL at its best. :thumbsup:

And I totally agree that CM deserves kudos for setting out the problem so clearly & asking for ideas. The professional dog behaviorist would be able to work well with such a client.... & such a gorgeous handsome dog as Carter.

There's hope for rotties & small dogs. At Million Paws Walk, my usually self-contained tibbie girls made good friends with 2 of the most handsome, full adult rotties I've ever met. Carefully introduced... it was really touching to see the total trust & good nature among them.

Edited by mita

The dynamics can be tricky to interpret. Some dogs when they are socially conflicted and have been told off default to play behaviour, and if the other dog runs they may well follow and the situation can deteriorate quite quickly. It's hard to call a dog off chasing something. It takes a lot of practice, even if they are just playing. Some large dogs learn that they don't have to listen to small dogs. They can do whatever they like because the small dog is too small to stop them. I often find myself very wary around large breed adolescents. I've seen a fair few at the dog park that are bullies just because they can do what they like and the consequences are not significant. Then there is the possibility that the dog is just doing a routine greeting, gets told off, and snarks back. It is entirely possible to teach a dog to do something else instead of snarking back, but maybe it would be easiest to just not let him greet small dogs. Unless they come right up to him. Many probably don't like it and I doubt he likes getting snarked at. It's only going to teach him to snark at them first, and then you will have a much more frustrating and difficult problem.

Carter is just reaching maturity. This could be his adult temperament? Difficult to say why it has started. Could be a myriad of reasons.

Pugs are unusual looking and make unusual noises... if he hasn't experienced them before. The initial incident may have been because of this, and then a bit of a chase (which is likely to have been self rewarding) and this could be the start of the pattern. Then of course another Pug, then another small dog... purely speculation, which really may have no bearing at all, but just to explain one possible reason.

The only way of really gaining any understanding is to seek quality professional assistance.

This is true about pugs and I dare say a few other breeds.

My boy experienced pugs at the vet and was frightened of them at firs and hid under the chair.

He was fine when seeing them again a bit later after they had all seen the vet.

Also, dog language, is beyond most of us - the move and exhibit some very subtle gestures that we often don't see (before it is too late).

I agree with taking him out of the dog parks and seeking professional assistance.

If you really want to see him having a good run, once these issues are under control, you could try your local obedience club for fly ball or agility training.

Good luck, he sounds like a charm (apart from his new behaviour, which I am sure you will get on top of).

I have a kelpie that doesn't know what to make of brachy breeds and often responds aggressively which is highly unusual for her.

One of the other DOLers has a tibbie boy that doesn't like other dogs & can respond aggressively. But he likes those that are brachy types... or close. Bit like himself.

I have a kelpie that doesn't know what to make of brachy breeds and often responds aggressively which is highly unusual for her.

One of the other DOLers has a tibbie boy that doesn't like other dogs & can respond aggressively. But he likes those that are brachy types... or close. Bit like himself.

I think it's to do with the way they breathe and the fact that their faces are scrunched and look a bit aggresive and she just assumes they're being aggressive. Or maybe she's just confused by them.

You've got the best advice on this you can get:

Stay away from offleash dog parks and seek experienced professional help. Not some Cesar Milan wanna be or a franchise dog trainer but someone who knows and understands the dynamics of powerful protective breeds.

I'll add one more piece of advice: Resist the urge to apportion 'blame' to the small dogs for your dog's reaction. You need to 'own' your own dog's behaviour first and foremost.

I could as easily explain this behaviour as a your dog being dominant and perceiving aggressive responses from smaller dogs as challenges. But it would be pointless. The key issue to remember is the ONLY behaviour you can work to modify is that of you and your dog. What other dogs do doesn't help that process.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

He is beautiful!! :love: Having owned a dog reactive Rott before I can sympathize with you. We did see a trainer and found that LAT exercises worked really well for us. We never ever went to offleash dog parks, too risky. Even now without a Rott I still avoid dog parks like the plague. I only go at ungodly hours when the parks will be mostly empty or very quiet, and I stick to myself, no interacting with other dogs. As dyzney already pointed out there are plenty of ways to enrich your dog's life. I wish you the best of luck with your training and hopefully you will get on top of his behaviour.

I think it's to do with the way they breathe and the fact that their faces are scrunched and look a bit aggresive and she just assumes they're being aggressive. Or maybe she's just confused by them.

Pugs tails can confuse dogs too, because they are curly and might wag, but aren't as "obvious" as a normal dogs tail.

If you need convincing that he shouldn't be near small dogs, I have posted an article in the News forum about a dog attack in the UK by a larger dog on a small dog - utterly horrific.

Once again no helpful advice, just bashing big dog breeds. :scold:

Well it's a fact, bigger dogs CAN hurt smaller ones, I don't think anyone is suggesting they all do and it's derailing the thread to suggest that might be the case.

Good luck with Carter! He's gorgeous! You've got it early, that is one blessing in a shitestorm :)

Well it's a fact, bigger dogs CAN hurt smaller ones, I don't think anyone is suggesting they all do and it's derailing the thread to suggest that might be the case.

Good luck with Carter! He's gorgeous! You've got it early, that is one blessing in a shitestorm :)

Same old same old, sadly Steph M.