Advice Needed On Rottweiler And Little Dogs

Cartersmum

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point blocking someone when they need to be corrected. If you didn't correct her, every new comer here would think that all bull breeds are inherently dangerous and that every owner must desex their dog in order to be able to control it.

Reported for a personal attack, I've let you off once too often. There is nothing correct about your post and there is nothing that I can learn from you.

I can see where dogmad is coming from with regards to dogs of size and strength not being under any effective control - I agree fully with that part of her regular gripes on these forums.

What I don't agree with are some of the generalisations about certain breed types that can be a part of what dogmad posts here. Stating that she'd report the same things "if it were a Jack Russell" that attacked just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid... because we all know that the likelihood of the media reporting a "savage attack" by a small breed dog is pretty slim.

There are also my face to face conversations with dogmad on the topic of certain breeds that reinforces my opinion that she just really doesn't like ANY strange bull breed type dogs... I keep threatening to introduce her to my Zeddy to show her that not all bull breed mixes have a thing for her small dogs, but she hasn't taken me up on the offer... *grin*

T.

Wonder where my friend Juice is .... she can attest to the fact that I adore her Bull Terrier "Bon" and her previous Bull Terrier "Mason" in particular. I thought Bull Terriers were Bull Breeds - funny about that.

As Yonjuro said, only in the last fortnight I was trying to assist his friend's Rotti cross. As I have said numerous times before, I spend plenty of my spare time assisting dogs - of all sizes.

Still, I can talk till i'm blue in the face - and i'm probably blocked by the right people now who will just accuse me of lying if they saw this post - i'm happy if they are happy. :)

I'm not trying to pick on you dogmad - just letting you know how some of your postings on the topic can come across.

I am someone who used to have a complete fear of small fluffy dogs... because I had encountered so many that just weren't nice at all... and most had shown varying levels of aggression towards me.

I have been pleasantly reappraised of the ideas I used to harbor about small dogs through meeting a large number of very nice small dogs - but I'm still quite leery of any small dog I don't know rushing towards me.

The thing is that I don't jump at every opportunity to espouse my thoughts about small dogs and present my experiences as evidence that all small dogs are nasty snappy things that will bite first and ask questions later... funnily enough, it wouldn't be completely true - regardless of my first hand experience with so many nasty ones.

Again, just for clarity's sake, I agree with your thoughts about irresponsible owners of large or powerful dogs... but please don't pass comments that come across as tarring us all with the same 'bogan' brush. Many of us large and bull breed dog owners are just as responsible as you are.

T.

Go see Glenn Cooke at Pet Resorts Australia, he's a rottie professional. He can be motivated its just you're not pushing the right button. He's discovered the value of chasing and how fun it is now you're hard pressed to get him to listen, and don't think it's something you've done wrong over the years... Dog's come up with 'great ideas' all the time! We just have to learn to adjust ourselves and our training to cope with what they come up with next.

:thumbsup: ... so true Nek.

I can also recommend Glenn.

I can absolutely vouch for Glenn's knowledge and experience with Rotties. :D So wish that he would come back to Victoria.

I would also like to commend Cartersmum on being a responsible owner by seeking advice and ensuring that her dog is not able to cause harm to others. And to say how gorgeous is your dog.

I can see where dogmad is coming from with regards to dogs of size and strength not being under any effective control - I agree fully with that part of her regular gripes on these forums.

What I don't agree with are some of the generalisations about certain breed types that can be a part of what dogmad posts here. Stating that she'd report the same things "if it were a Jack Russell" that attacked just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid... because we all know that the likelihood of the media reporting a "savage attack" by a small breed dog is pretty slim.

There are also my face to face conversations with dogmad on the topic of certain breeds that reinforces my opinion that she just really doesn't like ANY strange bull breed type dogs... I keep threatening to introduce her to my Zeddy to show her that not all bull breed mixes have a thing for her small dogs, but she hasn't taken me up on the offer... *grin*

T.

Wonder where my friend Juice is .... she can attest to the fact that I adore her Bull Terrier "Bon" and her previous Bull Terrier "Mason" in particular. I thought Bull Terriers were Bull Breeds - funny about that.

As Yonjuro said, only in the last fortnight I was trying to assist his friend's Rotti cross. As I have said numerous times before, I spend plenty of my spare time assisting dogs - of all sizes.

Still, I can talk till i'm blue in the face - and i'm probably blocked by the right people now who will just accuse me of lying if they saw this post - i'm happy if they are happy. :)

I'm not trying to pick on you dogmad - just letting you know how some of your postings on the topic can come across.

I am someone who used to have a complete fear of small fluffy dogs... because I had encountered so many that just weren't nice at all... and most had shown varying levels of aggression towards me.

I have been pleasantly reappraised of the ideas I used to harbor about small dogs through meeting a large number of very nice small dogs - but I'm still quite leery of any small dog I don't know rushing towards me.

The thing is that I don't jump at every opportunity to espouse my thoughts about small dogs and present my experiences as evidence that all small dogs are nasty snappy things that will bite first and ask questions later... funnily enough, it wouldn't be completely true - regardless of my first hand experience with so many nasty ones.

Again, just for clarity's sake, I agree with your thoughts about irresponsible owners of large or powerful dogs... but please don't pass comments that come across as tarring us all with the same 'bogan' brush. Many of us large and bull breed dog owners are just as responsible as you are.

T.

:clap::cheer: