Dog Killed At Kennel By Another Dog

Rosetta

I worked in a number of kennels in my area 11-12 years ago. The policy in 2 of them in school hols was to double up dogs in single kennels and 4 dogs to a double kennel run. Inspections were by appointment so we could move the double ups out into the yards so there was only 1 remaining in each kennel as people came through. We would have up to 8 dogs in each outdoor exercise area during the day. The dogs weren't seperated for feeding or supervised and the dogs that were mixed had often never met before. People were paying around $25/day thinking their dogs had a kennel to itself. It was unfortunately the norm, and the clients had no idea. The only kennel that housed as they promised to did it because there were webcams up 24/7 so owners could check on their pets (they cost more though)

I won't board my dogs if I can avoid it, ever.

I currently leave my dogs with friends if I have to travel, but I used to use a local kennel. Usually they had a big double run. Once I had to travel for family ill health reasons at a busy time and was told they would have to share a normal size run. Not ideal but OK they were fully booked.

When I checked them in, they asked if I would mind them putting a third dog in with them. I was horrified, the kennel was barely big enough for two, to put another unknown dog in with 2 closely bonded large breed dogs in a tight space at a stressful time, and then feed them in there, was incredibly fool hardy. Of course I said no, and if it had not been an emergency trip would have walked out. As it was I never went back.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sad, I double check that dogs from the same house can be fed together or not. I have two in at the moment who have to be separated and two that don't.

I would not be happy at all with that and wouldn't go back either!

I feed my 4 separately - and would want them to be separated completely for feeding. Zeddy and Pickles can run and sleep together if needed; Trouble and Pickles can run and sleep together if needed; Harper can run with Pickles, but don't let them get too excited doing zoomies or someone will get hurt, and they can sleep together; Zeddy and Trouble cannot be together at all; and Harper and Zeddy need to be separated because Harper knocks poor Zeddy over sometimes. Never run Pickles with 2 of my other dogs; and don't run Harper and Trouble together because they play crazy zoomies and it's dangerous for all involved.

I'd hate to have to entrust all 4 of my dogs to an unknown boarding facility... aarrgghh! Can I fly them over to you if I need boarding for longer than a week OSoSwift? Wonder if Dogtainers do bulk rates... lol!

T.

I do whatever is required:)

Some sleep in separate runs but are exercised together, sometimes there is two in one run one in another.

Sometimes they are completely separate.

If I am full I am full I will not put dogs in together to fit more in. I did have one person say cant you just put him in with someone else he is friendly - NO!

That's terrible. :(

I'm waiting for OSo to move to the big smoke so I can go on a holiday. :D

I can say that OSo swifts kennels are the best set out kennels I have seen . I just love the way they are set out and the dogs in her care are so comfortable and well looked after . My 2 had the best holiday whilst we travelled around WA .

Cannot recommend them enough and yes wish she would move across to QLD :)

Edited by MTD

That's terrible. :(

I'm waiting for OSo to move to the big smoke so I can go on a holiday. :D

I can say that OSo swifts kennels are the best set out kennels I have seen . I just love the way they are set out and the dogs in her care are so comfortable and well looked after . My 2 had the best holiday whilst we travelled around WA .

Cannot recommend them enough and yes wish she would move across to QLD :)

Thank you MTD it is very much appreciated and shows me I am on the right track :)

I will see if I can find the show. Poor people :(

I worked in a number of kennels in my area 11-12 years ago. The policy in 2 of them in school hols was to double up dogs in single kennels and 4 dogs to a double kennel run. Inspections were by appointment so we could move the double ups out into the yards so there was only 1 remaining in each kennel as people came through. We would have up to 8 dogs in each outdoor exercise area during the day. The dogs weren't seperated for feeding or supervised and the dogs that were mixed had often never met before. People were paying around $25/day thinking their dogs had a kennel to itself. It was unfortunately the norm, and the clients had no idea. The only kennel that housed as they promised to did it because there were webcams up 24/7 so owners could check on their pets (they cost more though)

:eek: Nightmare as an employee PD. I could not/will not work with that at all.

I have kennel experience in different environments. Working in a shelter environment was no different for me.

There is NO excuse in terms of the OP.

1373631325[/url]' post='6251691']
1373616407[/url]' post='6251440']

:eek: Nightmare as an employee PD. I could not/will not work with that at all.

In my kennel days, the kennel across the street did this. They also sometimes left dogs in the grassed exercise areas overnight, especially during school holidays. One Xmas three dogs dug under the fence and got killed on the highway. For some reason they had VERY HIGH staff turnover.

I have a major gripe with some kennels and that is "exercise". I know of one large kennel that unless you pay them for "play time" your dog doesn't leave it's kennel. It shits and pisses and is fed for the duration of it's stay in a kennel. They hose off around the dogs, your dog stands on wet concrete until it dries.

If you have a problem barker, they look those special one's in a dark bunker so no one can hear it.

They can't exercise the dogs, because they simply do not have the number of exercise yards that would be required, they have a handful of yards for a couple of hundred dogs.

This same kennel will double up dogs and chuck as many little one's in together as they can.

You could of course pay motel prices for a deluxe suite and they'll be happy to show you that one upon inspection.

Same kennel was told by owners not to put two bitches together, which of course they did and they girls went at it all night, it was not pretty.

My suggestion is , if you are going to board your dog somewhere book a time and ask to see the entire facility and do the math of kennels v yards, it can prove very interesting.

Wreck it that is appaling!!!!!!!

Rosetta I watched it on the web and saw which kennel it was, even if they don't win their case people now know which kennel it is so they will lose business and people will not leave dogs there.

I really feel for them, the guilt they must be feeling after leaving their dog there would be crippling, even though of course none of what happened is in any way their fault.

Poor little Grommet. RIP little man

I picked up my 2 little dogs from kennels on Friday after a week away & got talking to the kennel owner about this case. She said that a lot of dogs completely change personalities in a kennel situation - stress? One case she quoted was of a large breed dog that lived with a small dog & were kenneled together at owners request. Large dog picked little dog up & shook it in his mouth. Little dog survived (after vet treatment) but behaviour was completely against normal for the large breed dog who was normally very friendly & got on well with his friend.

I think this is something that needs to be considered when leaving dogs at kennels.

Yes it is. I am always watching dogs body language when there are two together.

I take what the owner says but on one occasion had two bitches together, a new dog came in which obviously upset one bitch, I raced in opened their run, yelled which gave me time to grabbed the littler one and scoot her out between my legs and slam the gate. Luckily one tooth mark was the only injury. They were separated after that and owners informed, along with a behaviourist recommendation after I was told yeh they sometimes do that at home!!!

You need to be on your toes and closely watch what they are telling you. There are dogs they don't know in a confined area and it does make them react in varying ways that out not the norm for them

Oso, given the extra care/services and quality of facilities you provide do you still have people complain about the price? I never get that. People will spend a fortune getting pissed on one single night out or blow a wad of cash simply because they are on holidays OS for a week, but then they will leave their dogs, which they simply adore/can't live without/paid a fortune for through a pet shop, at the cheapest place they can find. Instead of the dogs kennel stay mimicking their home life or even making them feel like they've taken a bit of a holiday too it must feel very isolating and confining. Of course they aren't going to act the same when they have no idea what the hell is happening to them and are devoid of their usual level of human contact.

It's probably why house and dog sitting has become so popular, particularly if you have a couple of dogs.

Generally only very few.

One in particular but you get those.

There is another boarding kennel here that is cheaper is set out and built differently to mine and I believe does not offer the same service. Generally people that have price as their main concern go there.

I did have someone comment one day that they had been told I was expensive ($2 per day more than the other local one) but was definitely worth it, so I guess that is a bit of a back handed compliment :)

Most people ask the price and have no issues with what they are told.

Some people will complain about anything so if they try to barter I give them the number of the other kennels :)

I was driving home after spending time at Fagan Park with the kids and my foster dog today.

The road home between Glenorie and Maralyala is very bendy so it is not unusual to get stuck behind a bunch of cars doing 20km. I thought that was the issue, then thought it was bike riders, nope, two stunning perfectly clipped Standard Poodles in clear panic running all over and across the road.

Everyone stayed clear and slowed down though not one person stopped.

I pulled over and called them over (I was lucky as I still had my training pouch) They came when called and sat for me,the female kept her distance until I slipped a lead over her friend.

Gorgeous dogs and clearly very treasured. Both had collars and tags so I called the owners (who live in an affluent area on the North Shore)

The owner was so distraught as she had paid to board her dogs while they were away.

Not long afterwards and during the phone conversation a woman comes down on a buggy, grabs my phone and says to the owner "don't panic, they were just going to the training area"

I said "No, both dogs were running loose in a panic a long way up the road" "I am suprised they were not hit"

and I asked her for my phone back.

She handed me the phone and while still on her buggy she grabs the leads from me. Both dogs freaked and were in a panic at the end of the leads.

I took the dogs back (for their own welfare) and said I would walk the dogs back myself and follow her. Both dogs were clearly distressed, I would shoot someone for treating my dogs in any similar manner.

I followed her with both dogs who were well trained and walked at heel. She drives into a paddock and yells at both dogs to get inside :eek: I walked through the gate and asked both dogs to sit, rewarded them, slipped the leads off and rewarded again.

The (sorry I have to say this) dumb ass knuckle head then said to me "you should not reward other peoples dogs"!!

Oh, ok dogs you are boarding are running the streets, you then attempt to drag them behind your buggy/mower, lie to their owners and now it is wrong to reward with food :eek:

There are some fantastic boarding kennels in my area though seriously stay clear of this one!