Bullmastiff V's Boxer

asher76

So we have decided its time to get a family dog, I adore Boxers (had one many many years ago) my partner adores Bullmastiff's (he also had one many years ago), now we are discussing which would best suit our family, we have little kids, when I say little the age range is 16 to 5, so any pro's and con's for both breeds that anyone can give me would be fantastic :)

Bullmastiff we board both & both breeds have there pro/cons but when it comes to the boarding environment experience i just love that goofy laid back Bullmastiff way ,still active but gentle at the same time

Bullmastiff we board both & both breeds have there pro/cons but when it comes to the boarding environment experience i just love that goofy laid back Bullmastiff way ,still active but gentle at the same time

Both are wonderful breeds, but being biased I would go the Mastiff route. :laugh:

From what I've seen boxers are very high energy and with such a busy household you may not have the time to devote to such a high energy breed. I love the temperament of bull mastiffs and they are wonderful family dogs from what I've seen.

Thanks for your responses...if it were up to me I would get one of each :p But after reading online and things on here maybe just maybe the Bullmastiff would suit our family better....Can anyone recommend a good breeder? even if its just to chat to them and get some more infor to make our decision final

You Mastiff loving people are all on drugs :)

Boxer 100%

That's what we say about you boxer people :p

:)

On a serious note, some of the things that swayed me to Boxers are

1) Size - i wanted a bigish dog without the 50kg + weight (was concerned with smaller kids)

2) Energy - i wanted something that's going to tire out my boys as much as they would tire out him, a dog that would spend all day exploring with us or running himself stupid at the beach :)

3) Temperament - Like Mastiffs, i honestly cannot fault a Boxer in any way shape or form when it comes to being around smaller kids, babies or even smaller dogs. (one of his best friends at puppy pre-school was a 12 wk old Chihuahua :) )

i think all of the above aside, try and get a view of the temperament some of your chosen breeders are producing and go from there. My Boxer is anything but the hyper crazy dog most Boxers are. Energy galore, but only when you want there to be :)

If I'm in a chilled out mood, he's usually more chilled then me. But tell him it's crazy time, and you get crazy time!

I can't help as I know nothing about Mastiffs. The only one I know is a real sweetie, but I don't think I could put up with all that slobber :laugh: Are they a breed that is not restricted in Vic??

I can't help as I know nothing about Mastiffs. The only one I know is a real sweetie, but I don't think I could put up with all that slobber :laugh: Are they a breed that is not restricted in Vic??

Mastiffs aren't restricted in vic. But it's always good to get one with papers in case the bsl nazis go crazy.

Mastiffs aren't restricted in vic. But it's always good to get one with papers in case the bsl nazis go crazy.

Um are they restricted in some states?? why??

Some bull breeds are restricted in Vic...I just wasn't sure if Mastiffs came under the same banner :) But as MUP suggests, you get one that is papered in case you ever have to prove he's not one of the restricted BB's

I had always been a boxer fan, until a Mastiff come into work the other day.......... I am 50/50 now, she was just sooooo cute! She kept jumping round, playing with everyone and climbing all over her owner (in a nice calm, friendly way). I think she was 7 months from memory.

So again, I could go either way on this one :confused:

Best of luck,

KP

I am absolutely a working breed person, BUT you could almost tempt me with a Bullmastiff, I LOVE them! I worked for a Bullmastiff breeder for a few years, loved all of those big doofy dogs <3

From what I've seen boxers are very high energy and with such a busy household you may not have the time to devote to such a high energy breed. I love the temperament of bull mastiffs and they are wonderful family dogs from what I've seen.

How many boxers have you seen?