Muzzles

teekay

So after Luka's recent trip to the vets and his aggressive reaction to the locum vet he didn't recognise. I think I need to get him used to wearing a muzzle. I would only use it in these circumstances. He doesn't need one normally but if ever he needs to be examined and has to see a vet he doesn't know or like, I need to be able to put a muzzle on him without too much anxiety.

Just to recap, we have been working on Luka's nervousness with strangers and he has improved a lot. He had his yearly check and vaccinations a few weeks ago and so I had been visiting the vets once or twice a week, just to get him used to the environment and the people there. Lots of treats, a quick weigh in, more treats, hello to the receptionist, more treats. Hello to the vet, more treats He really likes treats :D His check and vaccination went off without a hitch. I was really happy. Unfortunately this trip, our usual vet was away and Luka did not like the locum.

So can anyone recommend a muzzle. The K9pro ones have been recommended but they are very expensive. If he was to wear one regularly I wouldn't mind buying an expensive one but, given he may (hopefully) never actually need to use it I don't want to spend too much. Finances are very stretched atm, and I don't want to wait until I can afford a k9pro one, in case another impromptu vet visit is required. Likewise, I don't want to buy a cheap crap one :) Ebay is full of muzzles :eek:

Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive one?

Is this one good or bad. I liked the idea of the velcro but I admit I know nothing about muzzles and I don't want to buy anything unsuitable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M-PET-DOG-MUZZLE-RED-Anti-Bark-Bite-Chew-Training-Soft-Mesh-Nylon-Velcro-/140941115756?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item20d0bec16c&_uhb=1

I would just get a basket muzzle. The other good thing about a basket muzzle as compared to the link you providd is you can keep feeding them treats while they wear it. I've tried a basket muzzle on my girl (just because it was there and I wanted to see how she'd cope if she had to wear one) and she didn't really care that much because I kept giving her bits of roast chicken while she wore it!!

I have a basket plastic muzzle for my girl as she has bitten our Vet out of fear. She is very nervous/anxious. Actually Pers has been kind enough to provide her first link was where I got mine from. IMO those fabric muzzles are far too restrictive. The dog can't pant & anxious dogs pant heaps therefore they can't keep cool. You also can reward your dog through a basket one where as you can't through a fabric one. I would go for a correctly fitted basket type :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes I will need to feed treats as I get him used to it so I will go with a basket muzzle. I just thought they looked so stiff and uncomfortable but if some have used them with no problem I'll go with one of those. It's not like he will be wearing it long periods anyway.

Thanks Dolers, for your help :D

And we are going back to the vet visiting and treating again as I intend to get him desexed in the next couple of months so fingers crossed we can get through that without too much drama.

basket muzzles- the cheaper ones are made of a stiffer sort of plastic ..and need to be fitted, IMO so they don't rub on cheekbones. I still am using my original Italian made one ..with a leather strap..and a more pliable plastic in teh basket . It is now around 8 years old ..and was at one stage worn almost continuously for months .... without any rubbing etc .

ask your vet to order you a Buster muzzle from their vet supplier. I don't like the Baskerville muzzles by Purina as they're too short in the nose and frankly don't stay on.

Either that or any stockfeeds place who orders through Shoof can get you their basket muzzles. I use them for aggressive dogs and they can't come off, very soft and very very strong. You're looking at $10-$15 for one.

33085.jpg

I just had a look at mine & it is a Buster type one. Terrific & no issues with it coming off. Very strong :thumbsup:

My girl doesn't have to wear hers much at all either but even so you need to be confident that it wont come off & your dog

is comfortable.

Edited by BC Crazy