Getting Another Lab

Niki8

Hi guys,

I have a 9 month old lab and considering getting another one. In my thoughts, I see myself with 2 labs and feel it is probably the best time to think about another one now and train him well before we have kids (in about 2 years time). I have still not decided if I want to start from an 8 week old puppy or get already an older lab (5 months – 1 year) to match my lab’s age. I know that sometimes breeders are looking for new homes for their older puppies or sometimes you can see ads that people are moving and have to give away their dogs (so thought maybe we could help one). But yeah, this is something I still need to think about properly.

My question is…I really want to get another dog as a companion for my labbie. We spend a lot of time together and he gets a lot of attention, walks, training, play, cuddles and love. But the thought of having another one so that they could play together (as my lab really loves playing with other dogs) is very exciting. I would like to ask those who have two dogs (preferably labs) if they enjoy playing together (even though they are together all days long) or whether that was something happening for a few first weeks when they were just getting used to each other and would prefer playing with other dogs now who they don’t see that often? I hope it’s not too confusing…My main thought is I want to get my lab a play mate and a friend and am not too sure whether getting another lab is better than just finding someone else who already has a lab and would love to bring him to our garden and leave him there on regular basis so that they could play together (though as I said I would really love to have two dogs eventually).

I know having another lab now would require a lot of extra work (walk them and train them separately, leave them some time on their own, etc.), especially because my labbie is not 100% in obedience yet (though I train him a lot and we go to a club too). But I am ready to do that as long as my original thought that they would really have a ball together while I am at work and would love each other like brothers (I know that’s hard to say now, but I guess most labs enjoy company of another dog especially if they grow together – I may be wrong?).

Wow, so many thoughts…please share your opinions, would love to hear them :-)

I have 2 dogs, and I would struggle to have any less than 2 these days. But the things that pop in to my mind...

-It needs to be you wanting another dog for you, not for your dog. The new dog needs to be primarily for you and secondarily as a playmate for your existing dog.

-What if they don't like each other and don't want a bar of each other? My 2 love each other now, but for the first few weeks Kenzie kept trying to convince me to return the puppy as she didn't want another dog!!

-Having 2 that are very similar in age... well unfortunately that often means that you may loose both of them at a similar time. In my perfect world I would have around 3 years difference in age between my dogs (I currently have 2.5yrs) because that will hopefully mean I don't loose them at similar times, and now while they are younger it does mean training is lots easier as one already has quite a bit of training so I can give the other a bit more focus on manners.

-My 2 do play together, but they currently only spend 1 or 2 days together, the rest of the time they are apart during the day and only see each other in the evening. I think that makes them so much more excited to see each other when they are back together!!

That's just my experience! I'm hoping in a few years to get a 3rd dog (when the 2 I have are a bit older and have had some more training), so no doubt will be going through similar thought processes to you!!!

I have 4 dogs - one is a Lab... and that's enough crazy for me... lol! I couldn't think of having 2 Labs unless I really researched where I was going to get them from. Mine is a BYB, so she's probably crazier than a well bred one.

T.

The 1st time we got 2 dogs my older dog was 7.5 years old. She wasn't the friendliest to other dogs & it took her 4 days to acknowledge the new pup. She used to sit on the pup & they looked like mother hen & chick. :laugh: As the pup grew they became the best of mates & used to love to play tug together.

After April passed Sooty was 7.5 years when I got Tilba. They too became best of friends but they didn't have the same bond that April & Sooty had. For a while we had 3 dogs until Sooty passed late last year. They all got on but Panda my JS used to give Sooty a wide birth because she would guard food & dishes. He also plays with Tilba & mostly it's him that instigates play.

I read somewhere a long time ago that it's best to have 2-3 years & 3-4 years between big & small dogs, but I can't remember which way it goes. I would wait at least 2 years before getting another dog to give time for your present pup to settle down & become trained to your liking, they do copy each other & if he has any bad habits you'll have 2 dogs to train out of those bad habits.

There are 2 labs that come to my obedience club & they have a ball together.

It's been 15 years since I've had less than two Labs. I'll be going to three, so when the old girl gets too old, the young one will have company...and my own grieving will be less when she goes. I've never had problems with Labs being too crazy. Mine are calm and unflappable. Sure, puppies can be excitable. I think having an older dog around helps keep the younger dog in line.In your situation, I'd say either adopt an older lab, or wait a few years before getting another pup. Two young Labs will have a lot of fun together, but they will also cooperate in projects like digging holes. Also, if you have two young ones together, ten years from now you'll have two old ones, and prospect for high vet bills and heartbreak in the next five years or so.

My 2 Labs are best friends. They snuggle together, sleep together, play together, snub other dogs together laugh.gif Seriously, when I let them off after training to have a play with other dogs, they just go from tree to tree together sniffing, for the most part ignoring the other dogs (unless they are running with other Labs that they frequently do, they all play together - there is something about playing with your own kind!)

Mine are about the same age (acquired 2 years apart) so I had the chance to train the first before the second came along. Also means I will probably lose them around the same time if they live to an old age. I'm not looking forward to that :( The "boss" of my 2 is also the one who is very dependent on the other one, and who will more than likely die of a broken heart if she outlives the other. The other will probably be sad for a couple of days, but enjoy not having to battle for human affection, as the "boss" like to steal it all!

Awww, thank you so much guys...sooo many thoughts in my mind, have to really look at it from different perspectives and think it through, whether to wait or get another older labbie...I am starting to get excited about having another cuddly boy and Hongi (my lab) would possibly die from excitement when he finds out there is another dog in the garden who stays there with him all day long...haha. Compared to other labs, Hongi is very calm and is getting so much better in his training, I am a really proud mum :-) But of course, he is not 100% especially if there is too much distraction so I really may need to work on him a little bit longer before getting another labbie in our house (and of course continue with both afterwards as training is something I want to keep doing).

It's hard though when you get excited about something to just wait because you want to make the best well thought-out decision...anyway, I know I cannot rush this and have to give myself a few weeks to think what I really want to do and how it will fit with our future etc. But my soul is smiling, I am so excited about starting to think about another labbie even though this may not happen for a while...:-)

Thank you again guys :-)

To me there are three main things:

1. Having two old dogs. Old dogs can be quite expensive and I would prefer decisions about treatments be less about money as possible; but that could be hard if you have two dogs costing you a lot of money at the same time. Furthermore there is the heartache of potentially losing them both in close proximity.

2. At that age it is unlikely that your first dog is trained up to the level you want before you get another one. Furthermore at that age he might just be about to spring a whole bunch of tricky adolescent behaviour on you; he might stop being your sweet pup and begin to test those boundaries. Having a young puppy at the time might make this extra challenging for you.

3. It is imperative to ensure that the new dog especially doesn't get too bonded with the older dog. They need to be able to cope with being apart as much as coping with being together.

There are lots of great things about having two dogs, however it would be my preference for a larger age gap. However it's not my decision to make :) good luck with your choice :)

I have two labs and could not imagine having any less. There are 4.5 yrs between them and although my older one is well trained she is easily led. The two of them together can cause a lot of havoc. I could not imagine having got a second before the first passed the magical 4yr old mark. That said neither of my dogs could be counted as calm. So if you go for two lower drive ones you might be alright.

The other thing to consider is their combined weight and pulling power when walking them. Combined, mine weigh more than me which can make things difficult.

Your current one hasn't even hit the teenager tantrum stage yet - you know Id wait until he is older and fully trained and then look at a second dog. Plenty of stories out there about how their dog turned into a nightmare when it hit that 12-18 month stage and then started to calm down again. And as has been suggested thinking years ahead and you then have two older dogs required twice the cost of treatments etc etc and when one old dog goes the second often go too sadly.

Our Young dog is in theory nearly 3 and its only the last few weeks here and there he has started to think about things (he's a lot better than 9 months ago but still has a few excitement issues when walking). I could not imagine trying to control two of that age - our other dog is 14 and sometimes it handy to have the calmer dog who listens (though she can get worked up too but hasn't pulled and lunged for many many years)

Your current one hasn't even hit the teenager tantrum stage yet - you know Id wait until he is older and fully trained and then look at a second dog. Plenty of stories out there about how their dog turned into a nightmare when it hit that 12-18 month stage and then started to calm down again.

*nods* :)