Over Feeding

dee lee

I have no troubles, I am the only person in the house who gives our girl food so there are no 'double dinners' or over-doing the treats. Occasionally my other half will give her treats but I am there so I can let him know if she had just eaten. So no chance of over eating. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 15 week old Lab puppy & I'm quite paranoid about turning him into a porker. But after reading what you feed your dogs I'm a little worried that's what I'm doing!

I feed Advance Puppy Plus, a little bit less than the recommended amount (according to their feeding guide, although who knows how much the adult will weigh at 15 weeks :-/ ) - that works out to about 1.3 cups 3 times a day. Am I growing a little boom bah?

I thought the same reading this, but last week I had a chat to the vet and she reminded me puppies need more a lot of the time, they're always going and growing. He seems to be in good condition, but you're right in that it varies. I don't feed near as much as what's suggested on the back of the bag either.

I have no troubles, I am the only person in the house who gives our girl food so there are no 'double dinners' or over-doing the treats. Occasionally my other half will give her treats but I am there so I can let him know if she had just eaten. So no chance of over eating. :)

Yep, all dog food runs by me before being given to the dogs. Cat feeding is responsibility of the teenager...and sometimes that shows...:(. However, she is now regulating them better and understands measuring is important and they are much trimmer these days.

Yep! I wish I cared as much about my diet as I do my pets :o

I see so many people with fat dogs who either don't see a problem or egknowledge it but claim they can't do anything about it :mad makes me sad.

My four dogs are all different in terms of what they need to maintain weight.

Rocky (almost 12yr old BC x)- gets 1 cup of RC Light + all his supplements.

Sadie (9 1/2yr BC)- gets 1/2 to 3/4 cup of RC light + supplements.

Because both Rocky and Sadie are getting old and arthritic (and Sadie has a buggered cruciate) I like to keep them lean. Unfortunately Rocky gets fat looking at food...... Sigh.

Tess (6 1/2yr terrier X)- gets 1/2 to 3/4 cup RC light.

Tess doesn't really need to be on the light, but I already buy three types of dog food as it is! :p

Reggie (2yr Kelpie)- gets 2 cups of RC puppy and 2 cups of RC 4800 + K9 showstopper and super fuel.

Reggie is a skinny mini and a real pest to keep weight on. As is even when he is having a 'fat day' i.e. looking pretty darn good! I get comments on how skinny he is.......

Training treats are not ever included in his allowance, and if we have had a big day he may get more food.

He also quite often gets a bedtime 'snack' :o

My guys also get raw/ bones 2-4 times a week instead of kibble.

Mine all eat like horses, even if I get a fatty they're soon trim and eating more then they did before O_o pug was too fat and struggling to walk and breathe, now she's zooming around but eating double what she ate before. The malinois, jeezus if I could make them fat I'd be broke I think :laugh: A good attitude and exercise keeps a dog trim no matter the breed or age

No issue here, if they look a bit tubbier their food gets cut back but at least a 1/4 if not a 1/2 until I am happy with it, if theya re leaner it gets put up. If they have done very little for the day they get less, if they have done heaps they get more.

The dogs never beg or dribble or carry on for tidbits, if they did they would be put outside. My kids can eat takeaway foor or an icecream in the backseat adn the dogs won't even look sidesways, occassionally they try to sniff and one uhuh and they lay their head back down.

I am in charge of food for all beasties, now I just need a chef to control my portions!

Mine all eat like horses, even if I get a fatty they're soon trim and eating more then they did before O_o pug was too fat and struggling to walk and breathe, now she's zooming around but eating double what she ate before. The malinois, jeezus if I could make them fat I'd be broke I think :laugh: A good attitude and exercise keeps a dog trim no matter the breed or age

This is my two.

They get a lamb neck or chicken frame for brekkie, veg/fish bit of dry for dinner + a treat once a day + tidbits + bones :laugh:

My Anatolian weighs 50kg now and is nice and lean and my Aussie is about 23kg and even with almost as much food as he eats I barely keep the weight on her! Shes a maniac though and expends loads of energy just existing :laugh:

Whenever my dog complains about not being fed enough, I tell him I "starve" him because I love him lol. I see enough fat dogs at work (grooming an obese golden retriever is great for your back :mad), I don't want to see one when I get home too!

The cat is the real pig though. Since the morning he was fed breakfast three times by three different people, I've taken on sole feeding responsibilities for him. Although I'm pretty sure my dad sneaks him extra tidbits still..

I know I do it all wrong, but my two eat literally when they want - food is continually available - and both are within their ideal weight range....

If ours could be trusted I would love this, but not likely! Lucky you!

Omg, my MIL does this! She has two working kelpies, and they're both overweight, the smaller one more so than the bigger one. I tell her everytime I go there that they're fat and she just doesn't believe there's anything wrong with them. With my staffy x which was sadly PTS a few years ago she told me that he was underweight cause she could "feel his ribs" im like... they're MEANT to be like that, your not meant to see them, but your meant feel them. Theres just no telling her otherwise. :(

I know I do it all wrong, but my two eat literally when they want - food is continually available - and both are within their ideal weight range....

If ours could be trusted I would love this, but not likely! Lucky you!

I reckon whatever works for your dogs is fine. But IF for some reason their weight range became not ideal, would you change the arrangement though?

I think the issue is more about monitoring weight gain with the dog's health in mind, rather than indulging the dog and creating weight based health problems.

The cat is the real pig though. Since the morning he was fed breakfast three times by three different people, I've taken on sole feeding responsibilities for him. Although I'm pretty sure my dad sneaks him extra tidbits still..

Haha, no problems with the dogs here, but the cats have this same problem. Or else they're beating the dogs up to steal their food.

Ollie dog was never 'fat' until he got sick. When he had chemo, something happened with his thyroid gland and it stopped working.

Once we worked out what was wrong, it took about 12 months on limited food and medication to get him right and back to about 22kg, which is where he spent most of his life..

Ziggy is pretty easy to handle but I notice when there is a foster here that gets his food, he becomes a bit more piggy about it all.

He also doesn't get fed on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings as we have training and I figure the amount of food I use there, easily equals what I would give him at both those meals (also makes him hungry to do what I ask)..

Not sure how we are going to go with the advanced classes that start next week - we are not supposed to use food (all hand and voice commands)...

Zig sits around 26kg but I think just that little bit less would probably be better for him.

Weight can be a very sensitive issue with some dog owners. Some people take it as bad criticism as their ability to feed their dog or a criticism of their own weight.

I think a lot of people don't realize that a trim, fit dog is a healthy dog. They don't need padding, you should see their ribs and a nice waist definition.

I get a lot of compliments on my dog's weight (I take her to work with me), I love maintaining her health! (ok, i'm weird :laugh: ) but I have trouble telling people that their dog could do with a kg or 2 less.

We have the most horridly obese Labrador that comes and has a bath every Monday. Unfortunately I could never say anything, his female owner is quite rude and abrupt, and her and her son are both also morbidly obese. I hate to think how this poor dog's joints are suffering, but I hope - as demonstrated by them bathing the dog every week - that they care enough to take it to the vet who they would probably listen to.

yep .. a friend has several dogs and there is food left out continually ..dogs are all a good weight , there are never fights .. and she can go away for a day/night and not panic :)

I have to be strict with Daisy as she will put weight on so easily because she is such a massive guts and will never stop gorging herself. She really only needs a small amount of food.

Wisdom can eat and eat and eat and never seems to get fat! She is super lean and eats over 1kg of raw a day, she's about 27kg. Our Sibe is a bit bigger than Wiz and would eat the same amount as Daisy, maybe a little bit more so it shows how much it can differ from dog to dog.

We could never free feed here :laugh:

Edited by huski