My Border Collie Is Limping.

Hi folks,

After Sonny & Stella's morning ritual of playing together this morning Sonny has pulled up very lame front offside leg. Stella does mouth & nip his legs during play.

I checked his paw/leg all over for signs of broken skin/cut/bite mark but found nothing. It is very obvious that he is in pain. He is walking on it but very gingerly. So I

have given him some Joint guard & 1 Asprin. He is sleeping at the moment. Was wondering how often am I able to give Asprin. I wanted to give him another tonight around 5 or

so?? if needed. Naturally I will be taking him to the Vets if no signs of improvement after a days or so rest. Is there anything else I could do that would be of benefit to him?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry to hear about Sonny. I would be crate resting and if its not improved take him to the vet. I am not sure I would be giving him Aspirin. If you think he needs pain meds they probably worth going to the vet for an anti-inflam.

Edited by ness

If you want something which may work over the longer term - you could also consider putting Sonny on the Rose Hip Vital Canine which is a natural anti-inflammatory which is a little different to a glucosamine supplement like Joint Guard.

Thanks everyone for your help. MY poor boy :( It is awful to see your dogs in pain for what ever reason isn't it :( Sonny has a very sorrowful look on his face atm.

He looks at me like 'mum, my leg hurts'... & he is such a lovely natured boy. A real softy & Stella is my buggerlugs who plays a bit roughly with him at times.

Pers, I was told that Asprin was OK to give a dog on very rare occasions when in pain. I won't give him any more then. Last thing I want to do is complicate things.

PME, I just pick parsley out of the garden & Sonny eats so I just feed him some. He has ACV in his dinner every night :thumbsup:

Ness, I was thinking of giving that RHVC a go after I finish my Joint Guard that I have. You said it seemed to help Kenzie .

If my boy is no better by the morning we are off to the Vets :crossfingers:

Check the inside of his elbow for a puncture wound. Borders often bite one another there to disable the other dog. It seems to be a breed thing. Older dogs tend to do this to obnoxious puppies. If you have a good chiro I would try there before the vet as they are often better at working out where an injury is.

dancinbcs, just checked Sonny over again & while there is no marks anywhere on his front leg he does seem to be sorest around his elbow area. That is where I am getting the most reaction

from him. As he has made little improvement since yesterday we are off to the Vets this afternoon. Will just keep him very quiet until we go, although he seems to be doing that himself.

We don't have any Chiro's around here unfortunately.

Edited by BC Crazy

Sonny is a lot better this morning thanks Clover. Vet has given him some anti inflamitories. Apparently he has in laymens terms a slightly sprained wrist. Rest for a few days as well.

So nothing serious which I am very pleased about. He is such a sook my boy. I am sure that he is in pain but he even made the Vets eye's roll with the performance right down to the 'look' on his face :laugh:

He wouldn't even get up for his supper treat last night, so OH put it beside on his bean bag where he proceeded to eat it lying down :o

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi BC Crazy, sorry to hear about Sonny and his sore leg.

Are you still in the Port Stephens area? If so, Dr Ilona Hudson who I think is still at Noah's Ark Vets (Medowie & Nelson Bay) is a qualified animal chiro. I haven't been to her personally, but I have heard some good things. Might be worth a call if you are still interested in following that avenue for Sonny's leg.

Hi BC Crazy, sorry to hear about Sonny and his sore leg.

Are you still in the Port Stephens area? If so, Dr Ilona Hudson who I think is still at Noah's Ark Vets (Medowie & Nelson Bay) is a qualified animal chiro. I haven't been to her personally, but I have heard some good things. Might be worth a call if you are still interested in following that avenue for Sonny's leg.

Oh thanks for the 'heads up' on that perygrine. I was not aware that there was a chiro in our area. Will definitely jot that down for future reference :)

Hi all,

In relation to Border Collie pups what can I expect to pay ? And is it right that depending on colour will determine the price ? A beautiful black and white one will be less then a brown / white / blue / white etc..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry to hear, I hope Sonny is on the mend soon! Sounds like he's on his way :)

Hi all,

In relation to Border Collie pups what can I expect to pay ? And is it right that depending on colour will determine the price ? A beautiful black and white one will be less then a brown / white / blue / white etc..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Head over to the Border Collie thread in the breed specific forum. Much more information there; but no, colour should NOT determine the price. Be very wary of dogs bred for colour and breeders advertising their 'fantastic' vast arrays of colour as they are generally not the result of best dog being mated with best dog.