Yes Or No To Grooming A Stray?

HugUrPup

I had just finished grooming dogs for the day and was driving home with the trailer when I saw this Shih tzu on it's own sniffing around. It was sooo badly neglected. Matted, face all black etc I probably could have caught it if I had a lead, but it was frightened and may have bitten had I pounced to try and pick it up. It did have a collar but I couldn't get close enough to read the tag.

The trailer is rather large and I was blocking traffic, so I had to get back in my car and move on. I did watch for a bit to see which house it went to when he ran off, but it kind of ran to a yard and then back out to the footpath again.

I intend on going back without the trailer and bring a lead so I can catch it and contact the owner, but I really don't want the poor neglected thing handed back in that terrible shape. Is it against the law for me to groom it before returning it? What would you do?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would groom it personally.

But then again if the owners had neglected it so badly that a) it was a matted mess and b) it was out wondering on its own, then they might not recognise it if they go looking at the pound with a new haircut.

It would look totally different. There is no-way I could get a brush through.. it's a short clip job. I guess if she has contact details on the tag then they don't need to recognise it, they will know because I will tell them. If there are no contact details I guess I should just leave the poor thing in that state and take it to the pound :(

I would groom it BUT I would take a "before" photo in case the owners are difficult when you contact them. The poor dog must be very uncomfortable - may be flea ridden as well perhaps? They may not be interested in getting the dog back if it is that neglected and the dog would be more comfortable in the pound if that is the outcome.

It is a difficult one - a lot depends on the owner's attitude - e.g. it may be an elderly person who is not very able to care for it.

I wouldn't shave a dog off in winter and leave it at the pound.

Take it the pound and leave a note saying that you are happy to groom it when they collect their dog. They may or may not take you up on your offer.

I know your intentions are good, and you would like to see the dog comfortable but most unfortunately should you clip back the dog without the owner's consent (OR a vet's assertion that it was necessary) you could be charged with some ridiculous offence or other. frown.gif

I like Clyde's suggestion, or you could call at the house yourself and offer to clip her back and show them how to keep her groomed afterwards.

Well I went back and couldn't find her :( I drove around the streets and asked a couple of people who were walking.

I will go back tomorrow and look again. I asked the people please check for a tag if they see her and to contact the owners.

Depends on the pound, in Sydney we've got a few who take impound pics the way they come in then volunteers or staff groom them to make them more comfortable.

Unfortunately some matted dogs are in pain and will snap so I recommend anyone use caution when trying to handle a scared matted dog. Pls also alert the rangers that there is a wandering dog, it's at risk of being seriously hurt even if it does actually live in one of the nearby houses.

:(

Yes I know that dog. It lives on my street. It is ALWAYS out. ALWAYS. He is very friendly if you manage to catch him. I know where he lives and they don't give a sh*t about him. I have caught him a few times and taken him to the pound but they always get him out (at least he has now been chipped and desexed). They used to have a sweet little Cav too and 2 cats but they have since disappeared. :(

ETA If you want to find it, it will be in my front yard tomorrow morning lol. You know where I live. :)

Edited by *kirty*

Yes I know that dog. It lives on my street. It is ALWAYS out. ALWAYS. He is very friendly if you manage to catch him. I know where he lives and they don't give a sh*t about him. I have caught him a few times and taken him to the pound but they always get him out (at least he has now been chipped and desexed). They used to have a sweet little Cav too and 2 cats but they have since disappeared. :(

ETA If you want to find it, it will be in my front yard tomorrow morning lol. You know where I live. :)

I really don't understand people like that - they don't take care of the dog but keep getting it out of the pound. Why on earth don't they rehome it?? Any idea what happened to the little Cav ? :(

I would groom it & put it back in its yard with a note on its collar. Please groom & look after your dog. I have done it for you this time.

They will probably blame Kirty :rofl:

Disgusting idiots.

Edited by Christina

Hehe I've been tempted to go and ask them if they would rehome him, but I doubt it would go down well.

I'd be inclined to give it a go, kirty. They can only say no and be rude. On the other hand, they might be relieved to be "getting rid of a problem".

I lusted after a little black Pomeranian who was always getting out of his yard (that is, people left the gate open :( ) and seemed to live on the front porch :cry: . I finally plucked up the courage to ask the people (who went away regularly at weekends with their bigger, younger dog and left him alone) they said that had I asked earlier they would have let me have him. By this time, I'd taken him to the vet for them, organised grooming and flea treatment, but they'd started to include him in their activities.

As you would know, matted dogs can be in serious discomfort right through to a lot of pain from the matts pulling together with urine and poo burns. So sad.

I was so hoping you knew this dog. If you have him let me know and I will bring my trailer and at least give the poor thing a wash.