Yes Or No To Grooming A Stray?

HugUrPup

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since Kirty knows the owner it might be a good message to anonymously groom it and attach a note to its collar letting them know this is how the dog is supposed to look and that it was suffering with painful knots that pull at its skin and probably dirt and fleas. They can just have this tidy clean surprise when they come home. Perhaps also attach some grooming business phone numbers as well. :laugh:

That was the plan :laugh: I was going to groom him and return him with my card attached to his collar.

That was the plan :laugh: I was going to groom him and return him with my card attached to his collar.

that plan may leave you in a pot of legal hot water --- the owners might be a bit precious about it and you've left a calling card...

just sayin'

so you dont get yourself into legal hot water make it anonymous. It will have them scratching their heads too they'll be like, Huh? :confused:

:laugh: I wasn't really going to abduct him. I was going to go with him to the owners (assuming the address or phone number is on his tag) and let them know I found him wandering. I was then going to ask if they want their dog groomed or possibly rehomed if they can't afford to look after him.

:laugh: I wasn't really going to abduct him. I was going to go with him to the owners (assuming the address or phone number is on his tag) and let them know I found him wandering. I was then going to ask if they want their dog groomed or possibly rehomed if they can't afford to look after him.

Yes a much more sensible idea than a ninja groom! laugh.gif

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone decided to take it upon themselves to pick up my dog and groom it.

I appreciate your attention are well placed but you have no idea on the dog's history - maybe there is a reason for the current condition.

If you touch it then better hope nothing happens as you will be legally liable.

There is no reason other than neglect and maybe finances that the dog is in this state. He has been taken to the pound before but they always claim him. He is only about 4-5 years old.

I agree with not grooming him, but I also don't wish to get involved with the family or get on their wrong side. I will point out his owners to hugurpup if she wants to try and get him.

I had a plan to abduct and desex an entire male cat that was stalking and attacking my desexed female, after it got into my house one night. Sadly my cat passed away so i never did it.

Someone told me it was breaking the law and i figured it was breaking the law that not only was their cat out after curfew it was also always on my property.

Id groom it without letting them know who did it. Just because he has bad owners doesnt mean he deserves to suffer. Worst case if it pisses them off they might keep the dog inside from now on... Its win win

Can't hurt to ask the owners first, you never know they might have their own circumstantial issues preventing them from keeping him groomed and might be relieved to have him cleaned up?

Perhaps he's not very welcome inside because he's filthy and they can't afford to groom him? Not ideal I know, and I agree if you can't afford dogs you shouldn't have them, but everyone deserves a bit of the benefit of the doubt once or twice.

I know mum's shih tzu can go from one knot to a lump of them if you're not on top of it pretty quick, perhaps they've just had a new kid or lost a job? Never know.

I would take a before pic, then groom it. that's what I have always done, and honestly that is exactly what my local shelter does, dog comes in desperately needing groomed, and they shave the dog upon intake..not WELL, but they shave it lol I have never had anyone upset that I groomed their dog, usually they are just embarrassed that they let their dog get in a condition in which a perfect stranger felt the need to groom the dog!

Edited by cali

The "no money" excuse never flies with me. Everyone has a pair of scissors and a brush for their own hair. They're free to use.

Yes - me too. I have this conversation with owners many times that they should already own a brush and comb and show them how to use them. It's hard to be nice at times when I am constantly told I have all those at home.. I surprise myself at times what comes out of mouth but the common reply is along the lines of "well bloody well use them"..

I am not too keen to tell owners to pick up a pair of scissors since I have seen some awful nicks and cuts on the dogs. Some people are better off not knowing about putting scissors near animals.

My pet hate though is nails. I mean how do owners not know to cut dogs nails or make sure they get someone else to cut them. How do some owners not know when there dog is in pain. Long nails are bloody painful. Over the years I have seen some shockers - this pic came up in one of my grooming groups yesterday and I have permission to share it here.

I would like to think that all DOL members would never allow this to happen but I can assure you this happens far too often.

1069911_10151469729050728_2059984713_n.jpg

I really feel sorry for the small elderly house dog who only ventures outside long enough to toilet - I have cried more than once dealing with nails growing back in to the pads, it's so bloody cruel..

Back on topic-

I have brought a few strays home but the only time I gave one a bath was because it was horrible cold wet day and the poor little bugger was saturated and freezing. Lucky the dog had a tag, I called them and they picked it up after work. Owner was thankful to get their dog back without a pound fee and it was nice and clean and warm on such a horrible winters day. It dug out during a thunderstorm.

I will cut their nails back if they need it but won't groom them. I do give the owners a card and let them know that I am more than happy to groom their dog if they want to book it in.

The "no money" excuse never flies with me. Everyone has a pair of scissors and a brush for their own hair. They're free to use.

I agree - it may not be pretty but at least the dog would be more comfortable!

I agree, but just to play devils advocate what if they'd just had a new baby or lost a family member or something? Not everything is monetary and can't say I entirely blame people all the time. God knows mum's SWF's often look pretty funky due to some home-trims and the like too. Haha.