Yes Or No To Grooming A Stray?

HugUrPup

:laugh: I wasn't really going to abduct him. I was going to go with him to the owners (assuming the address or phone number is on his tag) and let them know I found him wandering. I was then going to ask if they want their dog groomed or possibly rehomed if they can't afford to look after him.

Yes a much more sensible idea than a ninja groom! laugh.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ninja groom

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when is having a baby an excuse for neglect? It's often one of the excuses I hear. The people who don't neglect their dogs manage to plan to clip their dogs short at 8 months preggers giving them a couple of months of easy care when the baby is young. People need to stop allowing "having a baby" to be an excuse for everything. It takes a few minutes to drop a dog off at a groomers and a few minutes to pick it up. Plan it and cope or find a family or friend to help!

Since when is having a baby an excuse for neglect? It's often one of the excuses I hear. The people who don't neglect their dogs manage to plan to clip their dogs short at 8 months preggers giving them a couple of months of easy care when the baby is young. People need to stop allowing "having a baby" to be an excuse for everything. It takes a few minutes to drop a dog off at a groomers and a few minutes to pick it up. Plan it and cope or find a family or friend to help!

Just posing a hypothetical, not everything is easy for everyone. Shite happens, unfortunately.

i've seen and heard the 'having a baby' excuse more than often and it really bahluddy irks me --- pups/dogs/cats/kittens, let's be real, they can be child subs, so when a real-life child comes along, the pet in some cases, can be pushed aside/shut outside/surrendered/etc.

case on point: i have a neighbour, across from me but down two houses; a lovely couple new to the area about 3 years ago with two feisty aussie terriers and then along came bub, gorgeous wee boy, i see them often out walking, pushing the pram, but i haven't seen those two dogs since. i certainly hear them barking for whatever reason and certainly as i walk my two by their hedged fence-line, and i've occasionally stopped and spoken to the mum or dad and they've remarked about them also having 2 small dogs a little bit bigger than my two...

yeah i know, i can't be around all the time to see whether those 2 are being exercised, but i'm around at different times of the day and i walk my two at different times of the day also and i walk them in different directions, taking different paths as much as i can, and i am around most weekends too.

i realise i might get some flack for making these assumptions.

it remains the same however; a distinct lack of care.

My baby is 5 months old, in the last 5 months my dog has gone from being walked most days to now only having 2 walks in 5 months, I take the baby out a lot but it's just too much taking the dog as well, From getting some training to Getting none, from being inside all the time to only coming in at night (unless the weather is bad)

I'm an experienced dog owner, I know what they need and feel so guilty I can't give or to her.

12 months ago I would have told anyone off for Rehoming a dog because it was too much with a baby.

Right now I can understand why some people do it.

I know things will get better and I'm lucky my dog is ok with the changes, but at times it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and have even had the odd thought that my dog would be better elsewhere.

I never realised how hard being a mum works be, yes, there are some people who can manage ok but there are a lot more who can't.

Hope things get better Teebs however how is the dog & your baby going to bond & get used to each other if the dog is outside most of the time ?

The dog will resent the baby if its been pushed out for it. Maybe now its time to let them be friends. Dogs & babies do live under the same roof a lot & love each other.

Maybe putting baby in her pushchair/pram & just a quick walk around the block with the dog will get you in practise managing both & lift yours & the dogs spirits too.

Its not easy for everyone with a new baby & some mums really do it hard but the dog had no say in all this. Inside to outside all the time is a hard change & your dog has no idea why.

Teenbs I used to freak out at the thought of 2 dogs that pull and a pram so mine only got walked when hubby could come. One day I thought 'stuff it' and went on my own and to my surprise it was EASIER! Every time they pulled I'd use the pram to block them and within 2 minutes they were walking nicely. And my pram (strider) won't tip no matter what cos it's so wide. I know it's hard to go the first time but you may find it easy after you try?

Not commenting on anyone's particular circumstances but I think sometimes when a new baby arrives the rest of the family needs to step up a bit and take over some of the dog caring duties that the female of the house has always taken on. Its not always possible around jobs etc but surely a walk around the block once in the morning or at night would be better than nothing and doesn't take long and many dog groomers are open weekends. People these days don't seem to have the family support that was common years ago.

Well not everyone has a conventional family, which was more common in the past I guess.

And I think it's not just the mother who's busy, the whole family takes on a lot more. I don't disagree, but it's not always easy I guess.

Hi Teebs - big hug from me because yes those early months can be a big shock.

Glad your dog is adjusting well. I would suggest you think about using a baby gate to allow your dog some inside time, while restricting it from jumping all over your baby, which is what I presume the problem may be. It allows your dog to still be part of your inside lifestyle, but still allows you to feel comfortable in managing the baby. And some outside time is part of life for most dogs, so that's not the end of the world to be honest.

I do hope you can also get some support from those around you. It can be really hard, and while you're missing out on sleep every little thing can feel even harder than it really is.

Back when my twins were born (20 years ago now) my dog went without a walk for many months as well.

It takes time - you'll find things will get easier over time and your dog may be able to offer you some comfort and companionship along the way if you can find a way to invite him/her back inside with you.

My baby is 5 months old, in the last 5 months my dog has gone from being walked most days to now only having 2 walks in 5 months, I take the baby out a lot but it's just too much taking the dog as well, From getting some training to Getting none, from being inside all the time to only coming in at night (unless the weather is bad)

I'm an experienced dog owner, I know what they need and feel so guilty I can't give or to her.

12 months ago I would have told anyone off for Rehoming a dog because it was too much with a baby.

I know things will get better and I'm lucky my dog is ok with the changes, but at times it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and have even had the odd thought that my dog would be better elsewhere.

I never realised how hard being a mum works be, yes, there are some people who can manage ok but there are a lot more who can't.

Good for you, teebs ... it is so awfully difficult for some new parents . I hope you gradually get to that light :) :hug:

Teebs. I have been a member on Dogzonline for a few years now and this is my first post. I feel that I need to also let you know that you have to look after yourself. Do not be too hard on yourself as no one knows how they will cope when the first baby comes along. it was only after several years after my first baby was born that I allowed myself to admit (to myself) that I was (possibly) suffering from some post natal depression. It was only by not letting myself be isolated and talking to friends (as I was lucky I had a great new mothers group) and making sure I got out of the house with the pram (it was pre dog) that I could keep putting one foot in front of the other! I still don't know what caused it as it did not happen the second or third time. Just be kind to yourself and I am sure things will work out in the end. Goodluck!

Teebs your dog will cope in the intrem. I was lucky int he fact when I had my first child they were getting ona nd happy to lay around, and spent a lot of time outside anyway. I got my first Whippet when I had a 2 yo and a 5 mo BUT I only got that puppy after figuring out that my 5 mo was very laid back, easy going and sleeping all night - so much easier to cope when you get sleep! And the puppy was easy going and laid back also.

If you can try maybe leaving bub with your partner and taking the dog for a walk just up the street and back if that is all the time you have, 5 minutes here and there - even that time to be away from bub and not have to worry for just a few minutes helps. It will get to a point you can walk with both, maybe take your dog with pram and go up the street, back, drop the dog in and continue on your walk. Lots of little trips will help work into bigger ones.

I would also employ baby gates and a kid pen - for the dog or kid whichever you decided to put in there, I used mine for the puppy as I was toilet training had a bub and a puppy so when I couldn't watch puppy she went in there it was easy to get to, kids couldn't get inot her stuff and it meant she could have time out from them.

Just breathe and stop stressing about it so much, it is differnt but she will cope, just do little bits as you can, but make a goal, once a week I am going to take her for a 10 minute walk, then work up.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone decided to take it upon themselves to pick up my dog and groom it.

I appreciate your attention are well placed but you have no idea on the dog's history - maybe there is a reason for the current condition.

If you touch it then better hope nothing happens as you will be legally liable.

Did you read the post where OP said they weren't planning on grooming the dog without permission?

Hi Teebs,

I don't post a whole lot these days, but felt the need to share with you.

My daughter is now 2 and I have struggled with post natal depression and anxiety since she was born. It comes and goes in waves - some times I feel completely normal, other days I don't want to get out of bed.

Before Madeleine was born, Genevieve was walked religiously and we did obedience classes once a week. I envied all the mothers in the neighbourhood who I would see walking their babies and their dogs, as it is all I wanted to do!! 26 weeks into my pregnancy I was hospitalised and put on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. Poor Genevieve hasn't been to an obedience class since.

Genevieve is a great family pet and I love her to bits. But I have days when I wish we didn't have her. :( I feel awful to say that, but it is true. These thoughts usually coincide with similar thoughts about my daughter/husband/self. :( My point is, you are not alone. The realities of motherhood are very different from the ideals we have beforehand. While I used to envy those mothers walking their babies and dogs each morning, I now realise it was probably because if they stayed in the house another second they may be at risk of harming one of them.

Are you able to take bub outside (perhaps in a hug-a-bub or similar?) with you for short bursts in the day, so you can both interact with your dog? Maybe from there, you can gradually invite the dog inside again. Apart from taking the edge off your Dog-Mummy guilt, just being outside will help lift your spirits. The advantage of just going outside at home, is that you don't have to get dressed if you don't want to! I do find that taking both for a walk helps me, especially on days when Madeleine just wants to whinge. She can scream as much as she likes in the pram, outside, and it doesn't seem to bother me anywhere near as much as it does in the house.

We used a couple of strategically placed child safety gates when Madeleine was a newbie, but these days both human and fur kids roam free. Genevieve still doesn't get walked as often as she used to, especially in winter, but she doesn't seem to mind for the most part. Madeleine chases her around enough at home, so a quick stroll around to the shops for milk suffices her. She seems to love 7pm when she can stretch out on the couch, child free! :) I generally don't take her to the park or beach without Hubby there, as I can't be watching two of them at the same time. If one runs off, there would be no one to supervise the other. So I completely empathise with how you are feeling overwhelmed by it all.

You are not a bad Mum (to either dog or baby). It is a huge adjustment. You will work through it. If you do decide that rehoming is the option for you, don't make the decision on a bad day. Sit with it for a couple of weeks first. You don't want to do something in haste, that you may regret later.

Good luck and chin up!

Having a baby excuse is crap, sorry it is...I have had three children (two at school now, one at home and have a couple of dogs, show train them, show them and occasionally groom terriers for public...oh and raise a litter or two...oh and run my home, feed everyone and get chores done...its doable! Oh and I still have time to have a nice bath in the evenings or read a book for half an hour! And you know what Ive done all this since my first was 12 months, so I find it hard to believe the "oh I have a baby/young child excuse!!" (Oh and there is having a baby for someone else too..which meant finding time for blood tests, appointments etc too over the last 12 months!!!)

Oh and I am a chemical depressive and rely on medication daily...so I DO understand about PN and normal depression. Yes I have bad days, but shit gets done because they rely on ME...

(ON NO this wasn't a post @ teebs or anyone else, just in general, because I too hear a lot of crap "baby' excuses - but still putting on my flame suit as I this being DOL I know it will come! ;) )

Edited by Missymoo

1374860819[/url]' post='6263787']

Hang in there Teebs. Every baby is different so no one can make a judgement about these things. My dogs were all pushed to the back burner when I had my daughter but they coped just fine. When your son is older then it gets easier to juggle dogs and kids together. When they're babies it can be much harder to juggle. Frankly, I don't think a lot dogs care two hoots if they miss a walk, just so long as they get indoor time with their people.smile.gif

1374989741[/url]' post='6264554']

Having a baby excuse is crap, sorry it is...I have had three children (two at school now, one at home and have a couple of dogs, show train them, show them and occasionally groom terriers for public...oh and raise a litter or two...oh and run my home, feed everyone and get chores done...its doable! Oh and I still have time to have a nice bath in the evenings or read a book for half an hour! And you know what Ive done all this since my first was 12 months, so I find it hard to believe the "oh I have a baby/young child excuse!!" (Oh and there is having a baby for someone else too..which meant finding time for blood tests, appointments etc too over the last 12 months!!!)

Oh and I am a chemical depressive and rely on medication daily...so I DO understand about PN and normal depression. Yes I have bad days, but shit gets done because they rely on ME...

(ON NO this wasn't a post @ teebs or anyone else, just in general, because I too hear a lot of crap "baby' excuses - but still putting on my flame suit as I this being DOL I know it will come! ;) )

laugh.gif Well, at least you're prepared! I don't agree with you though. Like I said above, everybody copes differently and all babies are different - I don't think it's fair to judge others when it comes to things like this. I coped with a huge amount of stuff when my daughter was younger but would never judge others based on my own experiences. I think that's the biggest thing I've learned since being a mum smile.gif

While I used to envy those mothers walking their babies and dogs each morning, I now realise it was probably because if they stayed in the house another second they may be at risk of harming one of them.

Acknowledging the fact that you are being in sympathy with Teebs & trying to be helpful the above is still a bloody big & completely wrong assumption to be jumping to. :eek:

I have never looked at mums walking babies & dogs & thought they have had to come out in case they harm the dog or baby. :confused:

I also hope no one ever looked at me & thought this.

Its all going a bit off topic here. There really is no long term excuse to let your dog get in a mess. A week or 2 if there is illness but otherwise wouldn't you get someone else to do it if you couldn't ?