Yes Or No To Grooming A Stray?

HugUrPup

Wow wasnt expecting all these replies. I was only trying to explain that it isn't always easy for everyone and you can never know how things will work out

As I said, I know things will get easier and better :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow wasnt expecting all these replies. I was only trying to explain that it isn't always easy for everyone and you can never know how things will work out

As I said, I know things will get easier and better :)

Good Girl. :D :thumbsup:

yup teebs, you've provided me with perspective and offered it so very eloquently; my post was crass given what you've had to say and i am now better informed. thanks for being so kind about it too; you could just have easily ripped me a new one for being so unenlightened. you've taught me a valuable lesson :)

i see now it's deeper than what's on the surface and i will in future not be so hasty in making rash assumptions, but in the case of my neighbour, i will continue to feel bad for those two dogs when i see one parent pushing the pram while the other ambles along side, hands free...

This thread's gone off on a bit of a tangent on a subject that probably deserves its own thread. I have a beloved neice who is struggling with PND.

I'm wondering about the dog who needs to be groomed though, what's happened about it?

My baby is 5 months old, in the last 5 months my dog has gone from being walked most days to now only having 2 walks in 5 months, I take the baby out a lot but it's just too much taking the dog as well, From getting some training to Getting none, from being inside all the time to only coming in at night (unless the weather is bad)

I'm an experienced dog owner, I know what they need and feel so guilty I can't give or to her.

12 months ago I would have told anyone off for Rehoming a dog because it was too much with a baby.

Right now I can understand why some people do it.

I know things will get better and I'm lucky my dog is ok with the changes, but at times it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and have even had the odd thought that my dog would be better elsewhere.

I never realised how hard being a mum works be, yes, there are some people who can manage ok but there are a lot more who can't.

Good on you for sharing Teebs. Being a mum is not easy for many people.

When I ran my rescue, having children was the most common reason for a Pug to be surrendered. Sometimes that reason was disguised as 'shedding too much hair', or 'my son has developed an allergy' but when the problems were broken down all was fine until the baby arrived. Because of this I cautioned potential new owners of how things might change when starting a family. I suggested not allowing them on furniture, or in the bed, and having an area of the house sectioned off for the dog so when the babies arrived very little had to change.

In your situation, perhaps having dad take care of your son for a half hour or so once a week could work so you can spend some time to yourself just being with your dog? A short walk or maybe just a game of fetch in the yard?

My partner works horrible long shifts. The days he gets off he usually sleeps and we do family things together. When he can he will take bub for a it for me. By that stage my free time is usually for a catch up on sleep or to wash my hair, not walk the dog!

I know things will get back to 'normal' bub is sleeping longer and longed each week,

I just wanted to speak up for the people who have had issues and who thought the right thing was to rehome.

It can be very hard to see the light sometimes and yeah I do get that some may just dump a dog because they can't be bothered, but i bet there are a lot of people who have regretted it later.

My dog is happy, she has plenty to do and she isn't going anywhere,

I just wanted to speak up from the other side

When I ran my rescue, having children was the most common reason for a Pug to be surrendered. Sometimes that reason was disguised as 'shedding too much hair', or 'my son has developed an allergy' but when the problems were broken down all was fine until the baby arrived. Because of this I cautioned potential new owners of how things might change when starting a family. I suggested not allowing them on furniture, or in the bed, and having an area of the house sectioned off for the dog so when the babies arrived very little had to change.

An RSPCA receptionist told me a while back that was the most common reason for people wanting to surrender their dog.

Around the same time, the Brisbane City Council set up some talks for pet owners who were pregnant, on how to cope, so they mightn't need to relinquish their pets. I'd say the advice would've been the same as what you've posted.

Also the AWL Qld started education programs to do the same thing.

I know things will get back to 'normal' bub is sleeping longer and longed each week,

I just wanted to speak up for the people who have had issues and who thought the right thing was to rehome.

It can be very hard to see the light sometimes and yeah I do get that some may just dump a dog because they can't be bothered, but i bet there are a lot of people who have regretted it later.

My dog is happy, she has plenty to do and she isn't going anywhere,

I just wanted to speak up from the other side

And, as the OP, you did, Teebs.

I saw the dog yesterday for the first time since this thread started. He is still the same. Still can't get near him either!

Kirty, there was talk of maybe knocking on the owner's door & offering to groom. Or was it decided that's not likely to go down well.

Neglected grooming can lead to medical problems with those more long-haired dogs, can be painful. I wonder if that's covered by cruelty/neglect laws? Just wondering.... not saying.

This thread is about a dog that OP found who needed grooming, not about how hard it is to cope with a dog and baby. Start a new thread.

Wow talk about rude.

Threads go off topic all the time.

You have been around a long time cody to know this happens in a lot of threads. There is no need to be so rude

Teebs I think its great that you have been shared your experience. Every mum, every baby, every family, every dog is different. Just because one person finds it easy doesn't mean that they are better or more disciplined or something, than someone who is finding it harder.

My kids are 10 and 11 and are still sometimes the cause for the dogs missing out on a walk.

On the topic of the dog I think it can be really hard sometimes to know what the ethical thing to do is.

Although I guess there can't be too much harm in making an offer to someone to groom their dog. Maybe they will feel like you are judging them or maybe they will appreciate it; the dog would obviously be better off groomed.

There was a day we had here recently in which I didn't have a car and two strays turned up. They were both absolutely crawling with fleas. You could literally observe the fleas crawling all over them from a distance :eek:

It took me all day to locate the owners. And the whole of that day I was trying to work out whether it would be responsible or irresponsible to treat these dogs for their flea burden. As it turned out I did not have anything suitable to treat them with anyway because the size differential between them and my own dogs, so it was a bit of a moot point. But it certainly had me thinking.

I think whilst giving them the full groom might perhaps be less than ethical, treating the fleas would be more so, somehow? It just seems less wrong. Though I'd worry they might have an allergic reaction or something, and would hate to be responsible for that.

This thread is about a dog that OP found who needed grooming, not about how hard it is to cope with a dog and baby. Start a new thread.

Stop being so rude. Discussions change focus and evolve.

Get over it Cody and stop playing self appointed moderator.

Keep on topic and do not purposely railroad threads

Have some respect for the topic starter and keep to the topic being discussed. You may not think the topic is worthy of discussion, but others may. You are not the moderator, so don't take it upon yourself to decide what can and can't be discussed here. This includes posting things such as 'get out the popcorn/snacks/chocolate etc' or 'trainwreck coming'.

If you do wish to sidetrack from the original topic, start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

I come in here to see if there's any updates on the dog instead it's become a discussion about something completely unrelated.

The issues of why dogs may be in an undesirable position or state are unrelated how?

You're being trivial and single minded. Teebs was stating that the condition of the dog may be due to circumstances that are explainable and she spoke from her experience. My response, as many others did, then delved into that issue a little more.

The discussion is not being purposely railroaded by anyone aside from you turning it into a battle about how you perceive the discussion should evolve under your terms.