Seasons Every 3.5-4months

africandreams

I have 2 bitches at home. The older one had 6months between her 1st/2nd season. She now cycles at the same time as the younger bitch.

Seasons have been November, March and currently now. Days between seasons have been 130 and 110.

I have read that shortened interestrous intervals can affect the bitches uterus ability to recover from a season and affect fertility.

Can anyone share experiences (good or bad) with a bitch that has cycled frequently? mostly in regards to breeding and maintaining a pregnancy.

I am planning on breeding the older bitch but due to numerous factors, not until next year (she will be 3)

Bitches lose fertility with each season and it is best to breed them the first time on their 2nd to 5th or 6th season, so in a bitch that cycles every 4 months you need to breed younger than one that cycles every 6-8 months. We had one girl start at 6 months to the day and cycle every 4 months so by 22 months, when we mated her, she was already on her 5th season. Her fertility was fine but she wasn't a great whelper.

I also kept one of her daughters who started later on 6 month seasons that got shorter until she too was cycling every 4 months. Bred at 3 years her litter was only 3 puppies in a breed that averages about 6.

Had a bitch who had her first heat very young (just over 6 months), went 6 months for a couple of heats then had a silent heat at about 5 months then started cycling at 3 month intervals. She had a litter young (before the seasons went odd) and conceived on her silent heat and one later heat and had what I would consider normal fertility. Her daughter (from her first litter) only ever conceived 2 pups per litter which is very strange for her family.

I would seriously consider not breeding from a bitch like this at all now because hormonal issues are one thing that are beginning to show up all over the place - are they genetic, environmental or do we just hear about them more???

One of my older girls has occasionally come in early at 4 months, about 2 or 3 times in 7 years & doesn't swell up much at all. I never see blood.

Absolutely no problem conceiving or whelping & is an excellent mum. She had 4 pups once by a 10 second slip mating. A decent size litter for a toy breed. They were next to me & I told the boy to get off & stop being bossy. No idea she was in season :eek:

• 2 weeks later...