Best & Worst Dog Breeds For Families

samoyedman

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing Jules. My kelpie just looked at me like i was a crazy person and hid her face under her paw when I tried to encourage her to get out of her bed and go outside for a while :laugh:

We're pretty much exactly what that article says not to do. A kelpie and a basset hound, three young children, living in a suburban black.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about over-generalizations. I guess their follow-up article for the next day was about people. And how all red heads have quick tempers, blondes are none too bright, plump people are lazy & small men want to boss everyone. Everybody would be stunned if such stupid stuff were published. And consider it downright dangerous in producing totally wrong social stereotypes.

Which is what they've done about dog breeds. Dogs are social animals.... same as people. And this article hasn't a clue about how the behaviour of both dogs & people is shaped by their social environment/training... as well as individual genetic traits.

We've owned working-type breeds... like Shelties. And had 2 radically different. One who would/ve 'worked' sheep all day, if he could (he had to settle for the cats)... & another whose idea of 'work' was to holler for her humans to come fix things.

My brother's 2 p/b ACDs were the same. The girl, Jessie, would've organized the whole world, if she could. The boy, Harry's, idea of work was to watch others do it & bark suggestions from the sidelines (preferably while lying down).

Stupid articles like this, will see people buying dogs based on a stereotype.... then sitting back waiting for the stereotype to get to work for them.

Edited by mita

Do they forget Labradors are in fact a working breed???

Young Labs can be more boisterous and full on than a young dog of many of the working breeds. Plus they are not a small dog.

Bloody ill informed idiots!

I know kirty! What?!

Only if you make em fat rofl1.gif

Love the way the article is about what breeds are best for families then the clanger - a lab or a lab cross rofl1.gif Cross what cross kelpie? rofl1.gif

Wont even go near the training needed or the attention required to temperament on the part of the breeder - idiots.

What is with people suggesting a Chih when people say no time for walks/training/attention?! They are dogs and need everything any other dog needs. The walks maybe shorter but they still need them.

Lol @ scary looking staff's ; p

Edited by Tibbie_tabbie

1374362039[/url]' post='6258636'][

For what it's worth, if I had a breed popularly thought to be "not a great kids dog" I'd be cheering. Kids don't raise dogs, FAMILIES do. Will see the BYBs and puppy farmers leave it well alone. It might help stem the flood of working and bull breed crosses into pounds also.

Indeed. Boxers fare badly in this article but maybe that's not a bad thing. At least, I hope that people buying them are choosing boxers after doing their own research. And not relying on simplistic, inaccurate articles like this one.

- When your children are babies, delay adopting any kind of guard dog, including rottweilers, mastiffs and pit-bulls. They can be gentle, but it's not worth the risk.

*sigh*

From the breed standard, regarding temperament:

Behaviour and character. Being good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, he is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

I considered being offended by the article but then I thought about all the nuf-nufs that might not buy my breed now and am happy.

Ok, yes - good point! I take back my offended feelings.

- When your children are babies, delay adopting any kind of guard dog, including rottweilers, mastiffs and pit-bulls. They can be gentle, but it's not worth the risk.

*sigh*

From the breed standard, regarding temperament:

Behaviour and character. Being good natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, he is very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

I considered being offended by the article but then I thought about all the nuf-nufs that might not buy my breed now and am happy.

Ok, yes - good point! I take back my offended feelings.

I hate to inform you, that the dog third from the left isn't a Rottie. :rofl:

Agree it's a ridiculous article, so many ignorant people out there. OH & Staffies are vicious looking, WTF? :confused:

For what it's worth, if I had a breed popularly thought to be "not a great kids dog" I'd be cheering. Kids don't raise dogs, FAMILIES do. Will see the BYBs and puppy farmers leave it well alone. It might help stem the flood of working and bull breed crosses into pounds also.

I rarely recommend my breed anyhow as I don't think that most people are good enough :rofl: [\b]I wouldn't even sell my brother a puppy years ago.

Hehe oops I might be a bit like that as well :o :laugh: :laugh:

But on topic, what a bloody stupid article. We can only hope that nobody takes it too seriously :(