When Were You Convinced Your Dog Could Understand English?

Leah82

I got up from the couch last night to go to the kitchen and as usual Sarah puts her head up to see what's going on which is generally followed by her following me around the house.

When she put her head up I said 'It's OK honey go back to sleep' and then she promptly did just that :)

Got me wondering about times when this has happened to other people....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kirislin is right.... but it's so tempting to see the understanding going deeper. :)

Brisbane people owned a Tibetan Spaniel, Zou Chai, who was born & bred in Singapore, before coming to Australia.

They were at a festival in New Farm Park, with crowds of people. Zou, wandered off among the crowd.... & his owners found he'd joined a bunch of young people. They were overseas students at the University of Qld... from Singapore & they were talking in their own language. Did make us wonder....! :)

Puck is very cute of an evening when he wants to go to bed. He'll come to me and I'll say, "do you want to go to bed?" I can see by his reaction that he does. I go into the lounge room with him and if he jumps on the couch before I can spread his blankie out, I say "hop off and I'll make it nice for you" he immediately jumps off again and waits. Then I say "Ok, get comfy" and he jumps back up and does his required number of turns before plopping himself down and waiting for me to cover him over. :laugh:

I know it's a learned routine, but if anyone was watching they'd think he understood every word I said.

I'd say it's a combination of learned responses to words, tone and body language with a bit of coincidence thrown in.

Still very funny when it happens though.

With Sarah I'm guessing it was mostly my tone mixed in with a bit of couldn't be bothered on her behalf.

I've told her to go to bed plenty of times but never go to sleep :)

My brother's assistance dog appears to understand some very complex commands...

"Go get the phone" will have him working out whether you want the landline phone or the mobile, and getting the right one for you - it's like magic... *grin*

T.

I think Kirislin is right.... but it's so tempting to see the understanding going deeper. :)

Brisbane people owned a Tibetan Spaniel, Zou Chai, who was born & bred in Singapore, before coming to Australia.

They were at a festival in New Farm Park, with crowds of people. Zou, wandered off among the crowd.... & his owners found he'd joined a bunch of young people. They were overseas students at the University of Qld... from Singapore & they were talking in their own language. Did make us wonder....! :)

That is lovely :)

I used to be able to hypnotise my previous whippets Kiri and Iris. I'd just say sleeeeeepy whippet gently and they'd close their eyes.

I used to do it with Feather but I've stopped now, but once when she was younger I did it while she was standing up and her eyes closed and she hung her head down, while still standing. It was very cute.

When I pulled out the purple jumper and he hid under the bed.

Red is fine, in fact when you ask him red jumper or purple jumper he gets very excited.

almost as excited as he gets when you spell walkies, purple makes him depressed, like when I say, I have to go to

work now.

He responds to peoples names differently, the old guy with they grey hair gets the best response, the little kids names

have him under the bed..........

I think it is all in your tone, body language and the way we have engineered their day.

My JRT understands all words associated with food, sleep or blankets, she often replies to these with her own talking (nasal snuffs). Any words such as bath, walk, run and she plays dead.

My tibbie x boy reacts with happiness and joy to any word....the tibbie is strong in this one ; p

We cant say the words "Park, ball, dinner, bubbles or walk" without our JRT going crazy.. Especially the B word....

If I say bubbles he will squeal like a child and run around me in circles tryign to herd me towards the door, then he will go sit next to where the bubble wands are kept until I take him out the front to play. Yup, he loves his bubbles..

We cant say the words "Park, ball, dinner, bubbles or walk" without our JRT going crazy.. Especially the B word....

If I say bubbles he will squeal like a child and run around me in circles tryign to herd me towards the door, then he will go sit next to where the bubble wands are kept until I take him out the front to play. Yup, he loves his bubbles..

Why, does he want you to get Sammans iPad back?

When my OH says to me "do you want to order pizza tonight?" and Max runs to the front door :rofl:

When I had my talking budgie Simon years ago, when my OH asked what we should get for dinner, Simon would say "let's get a pizza", because that was usually my answer. :rofl:

I think animals do understand english, or any other language. There have been many doco's where animals have been raised in 1 country & are sent to another country & don't understand the commands given in the new countries language.