When Did You Cut Your Dogs Nails Last.

Andisa

As the topic says...

I posted this pic in the grooming a stray thread and thought it really deserves one of it's own.

Please people - check your dogs nails regularly, they are relying on you to stop this sort of thing happening.

*not my pic but have permission to share.

1069911_10151469729050728_2059984713_n.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason why vets should be shamed for refusing to remove dewclaws on neonatal pups. See pic above

My dogs were done last Sunday! No cutting here - I use a Dremmel.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Oh, ouch!

Max's are overdue as last weekend I managed two nails before she went too demonic on me and I couldn't handle the biting. Boston has one curly nail that grows under so his are done regularly.

:( poor pup, how does someone not notice something like that? Mind you I clipped a nail for the first time in a year the other week - my dogs wear them down with exercise and also chew their nails (dew claws in particular), I still check them regularly though.

A few years ago I was asked by a friend to cut her dogs nails(it was a friend of a friends cross bred corgi type dog that she had obtained) Was horrified to find out that its dew claws had in fact been allowed to grow around into the pad and the nails on his feet were soooo long. So after careful cutting and extraction and antiseptic and daily checking he was good. But it was not nice to see.

I don't cut my dogs nails. They get dremmeled regularly. So tidy and neat.

I clip my GSD's nails and trim the hair between her toes. I even clip my cat's nails but my Goldie ............

I actually have to send him to the vet for an anaesthetic to have his nails clipped. He goes hysterical if I try to clip his nails - and yes, I did clip them when he was a puppy. He lets me trim the hair between his toes but doesn't like the "clip" sound of the nail clippers.

Edited by gsdog2

I trim both my guys when needed, as soon as I see those little white ends or hear them clicking when they walk on the cement paths. Usually works out around fortnightly. Neither of them are huge fans about it but they tolerate it without fuss :)

Poor pup in those pic's. It is a wonder he could walk with the length of his nails but that dew claw is just disgusting :( What is wrong with people don't they check their dogs feet. Or was this poor fella a stray?

Edited by BC Crazy

My boy's were done last Wednesday much to his disgust. In my two years grooming, I've seen lots of overgrown nails, but none that bad thank god! A few dew claws which were almost growing into the pad. It's amazing what people "don't notice" on their dogs. Overgrown nails, poo encrusted butt, terrible sores under matted hair, ears that are so badly infected they're oozing pus... Bloody disgusting :mad

My dog hasn't got any dew claws at the back. Her front ones she uses like thumbs, including digging them into me when she wants attention. They're certainly nothing like that thou I did get the vet to help clip them back last vaccination time. She used a parrot beak clipper and it was over before my dog noticed. Not like the evil guillotine clippers.

Still thinking about getting a dremmel. I'd really like a dremmel that oscillates so it doesn't risk winding up fur into the mechanism.

I remember years ago when I was mobile I pulled up to groom a Cocker, they said they were going to the vet because the last few weeks he was lame. I took a look at his feet, cut his nails and told them to walk him up the footpath. They tried to argue with me that he was injured so I walked him myself and said there "there you go - he is cured". The poor bugger had horrible nails and would have been in terrible pain. I clipped him off and he was so much happier, they could not believe the difference in him. Don't they realize how nice it would feel after a nice warm bath and getting rid of dirty matted hair and long over grown nails :confused:

The pics I posted are the worst I have seen for over grown dew claws but not the worst I have seen for over grown nails - imagine all 4 feet like that :mad:eek:

For those who haven't used a dremmel - get one, they are fan-bloody-tastic, so much easier. Dogs with long coats use stockings to keep the hair out of the way, just push their nails through the stocking. Keep your own hair out of the way too :o .

My 4 all get done fortnightly, no fuss and no drama, after their bath it takes me about 30 seconds per foot. Such an easy and simple job it's crazy how people can be so ignorant about it. My guys don't need their nails cut as much in summer as we are out and about more. I always aware how their nails are too as we visit nursing home and hospital and raggedy nails and old skin don't mix!