When Did You Cut Your Dogs Nails Last.

Andisa

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to do a trim every clip (poodles). One of my girls has two claws that have the quick really low (dark nails)I always trim with trepidation there. Must say Ive never used a dremel. Is it something they need to get used to as pups?

I don't introduce the pups to the dremel until they are about a year old. I use the clippers until then, by that time they have heard the noise a lot and they have seen the others standing on the table having it done.

I start the dremel and throw treats on the ground for the others while I do each dog.

Is there less risk with cutting the quick with a dremmel? I use a normal nail clipper occasionally but I am very chicken about cutting too much and causing a bleed.

The dremel goes really slowly because it files, not cuts, so if you see blood it's not even a drop, and it basically cauterizes quickly and stops bleeding.

I think I need to get a Dremel. It's really hard to cut Boof's nails and he hates it. His nails are black and grow very quickly. Olivia's aren't too bad and they grow so much more slowly.

Where is the best place to get a Dremel?

I try to do a trim every clip (poodles). One of my girls has two claws that have the quick really low (dark nails)I always trim with trepidation there. Must say Ive never used a dremel. Is it something they need to get used to as pups?

No I got one & used it on my adult dogs. Used to being clipped regularly so they didn't even blink about the tiny whirring noise or slight vibration.

Is there less risk with cutting the quick with a dremmel? I use a normal nail clipper occasionally but I am very chicken about cutting too much and causing a bleed.

I am too chicken as well. My daughter does Waldo's for me. Perhaps I should get a dremmel?

Can someone please recommend good clippers for a large dog with dark nails. I've never needed to do Hugo's but since the reno's they have become long...I think because there is less hard surface for him to run around on. I've tried a dremmel but he likened it to a vacuum so hid in another room.

OMG that poor thing!! that must have been so painful!

in saying that, I have never cut my girl's nails, half our backyard is concrete and she hates going on the grass so her nails file down naturally and are always super short, even the dew claws.

I bought a Dremel many years ago when I was still mobile, tried the Otizo and it was useless on the hard tough nails so I took it back. I got a Dremel with the shaft attachment making it easier to handle. Also got the accessories case with a heap of nifty gadgets. Won't use most of them but they did come in handy when I cut large shampoo containers in to laying boxes for the chooks :D .

Edited by Andisa

With the poodles, as they are used to clippers around their feet, mine didn't bat an eyelid when the Dremel was used. :)

I have one with a cord and use the sanding belts to do nails - medium grade.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I want to get a dremel, my dog is a monster for nail clipping ever since I quicked her :( :( I'm terrified of doing it again which makes it WAY worse! I get shaky hands and can't decide where to clip, and she pulls her feet away... I only have about 30 seconds to do it before she starts throwing herself around. I get my vet nurse friend to do it, Elsie stands there like a pathetic mess for her!