New Dogs Lack Of Response

I have just got a new dog, he is a 2yr old Border Collie, previous one, border Collie left at the age of 15 & was a brilliant dog, pet, companion & everything a dog could be.

Now the new dog, Zorro, appears to be heading well & truly in that direction, I have only had him for about 5 days. He has had a good home but I do not know the details although from his personality it appears that he has been well treated. He is a true border in that he is constantly following me around the house waiting for some command or getting ready for the "action/work" command. And he is responding to my initial training but I suppose it is different to his previous owners, it has to be as we are all different.

I use the treats, gentle talk & lots of pats & cuddles for doing the right thing which he loves (can't get enough attention).

The big but, and I know it is only early days is that he will now & then just walk away from me with not the slightest turn of the head or any sort of acknowledgement to me in any shape or form??

He will just walk on until I creep up on him while he is smelling something & appear as though nothing untoward has happened.

He doesn't turn his head, doesn't act intimidated when my voice gets louder (cos I'm scared he will keep going) I am wondering if he has a hearing problem , is there a way of testing his hearing without going to the vet.

Maybe its just early days, I am comparing him to my old dog "Wags" who would be at my feet in an instant that I called his name or when he heard my whistle from km's away when in the bushwalking.

Stand behind him and when he is not looking do something completely unexpected like bang a pot hard with a metal spoon or ring a loud bell if you have one. A persons voice he may have learnt to ignore but a totally unusual sound is more likely to get his attantion if he's not deaf.

OK he is not deaf!! He was lying behind me flat out in my office on his mat dozing. I banged my coffee cup in the desk & he was up like he had been electrocuted.

So I suppose he has only been with me 5 days I will have to be patient & teach him to respond to my voice.

How long have you had him?

It could be he's just looking for his previous people.

It might be that you need a program like "ruff love" or NILIF - ie no off lead time and all unsupervised time in a crate - for about a month - so he gets a handle on your new ground rules and adapts to the fact that you're his people now and all good things come from you.

Hearing test - my dog can hear the sound of the fridge door being opened at 100 paces, and she knows what I take out of it too.

Sorry, I had to have a bit of a giggle, at our house we call this "ears painted on". I have an independent mutt and an Aussie Shepherd and I can tell you it's quite a regular occurence with both!

I wonder if he is shutting down a bit?

Especially as you say he goes off and sniffs.

Some dogs are a bit like that. They feel like they are not quite understanding what you want, or they feel the situation is a bit tense or confusing and they cope with it by ignoring you, or laying down, or very commonly by going off and sniffing.

Don't train the dog, bond and play with him. He's new, unsure and looking for guidance :)

Yes I can't help myself! He is so like my last so well behaved (after 15yrs) dog that I am expecting the same or at least results very quickly. So I should just keep him on a lead for a month?? & just play with him to let him know who I am & than start the NILIF or Tuff Love.

Yes I can't help myself! He is so like my last so well behaved (after 15yrs) dog that I am expecting the same or at least results very quickly. So I should just keep him on a lead for a month?? & just play with him to let him know who I am & than start the NILIF or Tuff Love.

Let the dog guide you, young grasshopper :laugh: some dogs respond faster then others. The more pressure you put for performance you can find the less interest the dog can show in you. Enjoy the dog, get to know it's personality, little quirks etc and let him settle in and explore his surroundings properly.

Let the dog guide you, young grasshopper :laugh: some dogs respond faster then others. The more pressure you put for performance you can find the less interest the dog can show in you. Enjoy the dog, get to know it's personality, little quirks etc and let him settle in and explore his surroundings properly.

:thumbsup:

It's still a very new relationship for both you and the dog. You need to get to know the dog, and he needs to get to know you! :) Some time just chilling together, at home and walking in areas with lots of interesting smells and stuff. Some play time together is good too. :)