Siberian Husky Breed Variations?

Kirislin

Seeing the recent thread about Hope the missing Siberian husky, who thankfully has been found, has intrigued me about Siberian huskies. I've never seen a Siberian husky that looked anything like her. She's different in colouring but moreso in conformation. She looks nothing like the Siberian huskies I've seen for the last 35 years or so (since I've been paying attention :laugh: ), more like a wolf hybrid to me, but it's said she's a pedigree Siberian husky.

I'm way too old to be considering such an active breed, but I'd love to know more about Siberian huskies that look like her. Are there many in Australia, do they pop up in the more familiar looking Siberian husky litters very often, if so, are they culled because she's the first one I've seen.

signed Curious.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I googled images for Siberian huskies nothing like her came up, but Alaskan huskies, yes, although I've read they're not a breed but rather a type. Maybe a bit like Lurchers in the UK which are a sighthound cross, not a breed.

Edited by Kirislin

I can't remember who it was but there used to be a member on here who raced with his Sibes and they looked like Hope. He had a great website with pics of all his dogs. Sorry I can't remember the name. I guess like many breeds there is a distinct difference between working lines and show lines.

I can't remember who it was but there used to be a member on here who raced with his Sibes and they looked like Hope. He had a great website with pics of all his dogs. Sorry I can't remember the name. I guess like many breeds there is a distinct difference between working lines and show lines.

I've been hunting some more, it might have been ididadog. :thumbsup:

If you look at idigadog's website you will see more huskies that are similar to Hope, they even have a littermate, "Ruff" http://www.idigadog.com.au/Ruff.htm

I doubt these dogs "pop up in the more familiar looking Siberian husky litters" or are culled, but are rather another case of a breed diverging between show and 'working'. Hope is a racing bred Husky as opposed a show ring husky. At sledding you will see a lot of variation.

Edited by FHRP

The racy, slender husky is the original sled dog type, nothing like the black & white blue eyed fluffballs... Look up any top musher and their dogs, they are all of the working type and the range of colours is great -- I've even seen a few piebald ones.

Alaskan huskies are a whole different thing, they indeed aren't a breed at all but more of a modern sled dog type specifically bred for racing. Quite often they are hound crosses.

Alaskan Huskies are a mix of different breeds to get the optimum racing machine.....

If anyone is interested check out the Siberian Husky Club of Vic web site....

Some of the "Black and white Blue eyed Fluff balls"...are actually dual purpose dogs that can race and perform in the show ring.

There are actually a few teams of pure bred Siberian Huskies that run the IDITAROD even..

I even have a piebald...

Edited by bannerbrite

I wouldn't say 'original' necessarily. More bred to compete at high speed in races (which is somewhat different from their original purpose and does mean selection for a different type of dog designed for fast running rather than one designed for steady progress over rough and unknown and often very dangerous terrain) . Attached is a picture of 'Tess' who was owned by my great grandfather. She was possibly (unconfirmed) the first husky in Australia. Tess was one of a litter of 4 pups born in the Antarctic on 03 July 1902 to Sir Earnest Shackelton's bitch 'Vianca' (who was herself born in the Arctic). Her sire was a dog called 'Wolf'. Her side and dam were sled dogs used on Sir Robert Scott's first (1901) expedition to the Antarctic. They were typical working sled dogs which were employed by polar expeditions in both the north and south in that era.

post-5072-0-28698900-1374729849_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Balto_CLE.JPG/220px-Balto_CLE.JPG and http://www.freewebs.com/bonydog/Balto.png

Have a look at Balto, one of the early "real" sled dogs in the US. He is not like Hope. Hope is from racing lines and they are substantially different to the original, heavier sled dogs. Racing Siberian Huskies are athletes, more designed for sprint work than freighting cargo over long distances.

Also, the Mawson Huskies, used in Antarctica until dogs were banned there http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/salzberg/mawson.html

Bannerbrite - :laugh: you made me laugh, thanks.

Alaskan Huskies are a mix of different breeds to get the optimum racing machine.....

If anyone is interested check out the Siberian Husky Club of Vic web site....

Some of the "Black and white Blue eyed Fluff balls"...are actually dual purpose dogs that can race and perform in the show ring.

There are actually a few teams of pure bred Siberian Huskies that run the IDITAROD even..

I even have a piebald...

But Hope isn't an Alaskan husky is she? It said she's a pedigree Siberian husky.

Miss Danni.....LOL I hope in a good way..... :D

Kirislin....No hope is a Siberian Husky from Racing bloodlines..They can still be pure bred Siberian Huskies...just because they Race/run in harness doesn't mean they cant be pure Bred....

Miss Danni.....LOL I hope in a good way..... :D

Kirislin....No hope is a Siberian Husky from Racing bloodlines..They can still be pure bred Siberian Huskies...just because they Race/run in harness doesn't mean they cant be pure Bred....

Do the show lines ever get bred with the racing lines or are they kept apart?

Yes Hope is a pedigree girl.

Different than what you see in the show ring sure.

Racing lines seem to produce the more out there colours / patterns.

Which may be something show breeders select against.

She's not an alaskan ( or a tamaskan- the 'wolf hybrid' breed you mentioned in the other thread- which has no wolf blood)

This is an Alaskan I had the pleasure of racing

992860_662223990459019_1973062148_n.jpg

Anyone interested to see more should have a look at this :)

It's a gallery from one of the biggest races this year. You can see sibes in all their shapes and forms