Widget: From Big Belly To Babies!

Kirislin

ah yes, the t-shirt. Funny story about that. The very same day I posted the link here to it, I got an email from redbubble telling me they'd taken it down because it had been brought to their attention that it breached copyright or something like that, I forget now. It didn't because we bought the image and then put our own text in it but I couldn't be bothered arguing with them so let it go. I dont know if someone saw it after clicking the link here and decided to complain. It wouldn't be the first time someone's done something like that. (insert Mr Rolly eyes here) :laugh:

Whippets and IGs are usually a different shape, but sometimes even I've looked at either a very small whippet, or a very large IG and thought they could be mistaken for the other breed. IG's are definitely more fragile looking and dont stand over the ground like a whippet who has quite different angulation. A whippet is usually longer than it is high and IG is more square in shape. A whippet is much more robust looking.

Edited by Kirislin

Poor Arkey, that break looks very bad :(

I missed the t-shirt link too unfortunately!

Those sound like some very fine differences I don't yet have the eye to recognise :p I will try though hahah

This might help....Greyhound, Whippet, Italian Greyhound

post-6493-0-38890400-1453264542_thumb.jpg

That photo is a really good reference!

OK so I have some news. I think I can hire myself out as a foetal puppy heart beat counter, she is indeed having 2 puppies. I took her to the vet today just as a final check and to make sure I can ring him in the middle of the night if needs be and he offered to get the ultrasound out, "just for fun" he said. I think the vets like doing things like that sometimes instead of looking for sinister tumours and things. We got a good look at them and they're BIG!!! so perhaps it's good to be forewarned as well. He measured one and it was 13cm long, I hope that's including the tail, I didn't think to ask. If it's not we're in trouble, it would be labrador sized.

Did someone tell neko about the size or did you block her ears? Haha

Yeah, a bit scary but at least the vet knows and will be there for me. He was really lovely and said I can ring him anytime, even if I just need to talk to make sure things are going as normal. It's very reassuring because I'm pretty nervous about it all. He made me run down what I know of the first signs and if there's something wrong and corrected me on a couple. I'll still be scared witless I just know it, I'm a stress head.

Those sound like some very fine differences I don't yet have the eye to recognise :p I will try though hahah

This might help....Greyhound, Whippet, Italian Greyhound

post-6493-0-38890400-1453264542_thumb.jpg

A little bit, they're awfully similar! I'm going to try to go with pointy nose and more...whatever pose you call the IG is in. I could maybe pick them out in a lineup but on their own... XD

2 big puppies! They're going to be so fat XD all the milk

Just remember Neko's 2 brothers at birth... they were pretty big too... and all turned out fine in the end...

T.

Yes, it was one in particular, Milton, the first born who was big, I think he weighed 280gms or thereabouts and Neko and Arkey were around 220gm which is still quite big for an IG I think, although not sure because I haven't bred any and breeders dont mention birth weights very often so it's hard to find out. I know Kibahs whippet puppies were around the same size as Widgets babies at birth, she was a small whippet and she had 9 jammed inside her.

At least my vet knows he might be needed at short notice for a caesar.

My smallest IG pup would have been around 150g and biggest 275g from memory. I would say most are around 180g. However I've heard of pups weighing 90g or so surviving,

Eta: my 275g pup was born via csection.

Edited by indigirl

Sighthounds look so weird when they're pregnant! Lose that characteristic shape and then look really uncomfortable. She's gorgeous Kirislin, I'm very much looking forward to seeing photos of her pups :)

I expect this to be one of the most anticipated births in the history of DOL :laugh: :laugh: :love::love:

(With that of a baby pineapple being a close second :lollipop: :lollipop: )

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I'm so worried about her because I know there's just 2 whoppers in there. :(

Don’t blame you. I’d be worried sick even if the babes were littlies. Such a lot for these little bodies to go through. Where is Marcus? Is he on hand?

AS soon as she goes into labour I will ring him but Marcus isn't anymore experienced than I am so I'll also ring the vet.

I'm so worried about her because I know there's just 2 whoppers in there. :(

Don’t blame you. I’d be worried sick even if the babes were littlies. Such a lot for these little bodies to go through. Where is Marcus? Is he on hand?

AS soon as she goes into labour I will ring him but Marcus isn't anymore experienced than I am so I'll also ring the vet.

I was thinking more of a shoulder to lean on. I mean, I would be happy to lean on him while you are other wise engaged :D :D :D