Widget: From Big Belly To Babies!

Kirislin

Loving this thread.... eeee baby iggies again! Neko's boyfriend is very handsome too, dark iggies are my favourite!

His owners have been incredibly generous allowing Neko to be mated to Bipsy. He had only just been released from Quarantine that day, and Neko was on day 14 of her season and had been standing for several days, so was most likely past the best time to be mated, which probably accounts for why we only have 2 puppies, still, we're lucky to get any at all.

Not long now. I picked up all the whelping stuff from Marcus yesterday. I think I'll set it up in my bedroom so today I will shampoo the carpets and make it all spic and span in there because this time next week it will be very close. Puppies due from next Sunday. :crossfingers:

I don't know much about breeding but if you are concerned about the size of them, can they be delivered early like say a human baby can be induced for whatever reasons?

Best of luck with little Neko -- she's looking really fab (if a tad uncomfortable!).

No, not much leeway with dogs and too much risk of them being underdone. At least the vet knows and will be ready to do a caesar if needs be, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. I'm so nervous. The thought of anything happening to Neko just frightens me, I'm stressing about it so much.

Edited by Kirislin

this might be the last week of this series. She is due next Sunday but if she's a bit later then I'll get one more shot.

Here she is at Week 8. She hasn't grown as much as I initially would have expected, but now we know she's only got 2 whopping puppies in there, I think I'm glad. Even so she's put on at least 2 kilos, so that's a kilo for each puppy. I realise they wont weight that much but even so it's still alot. An experienced breeder told me she usually estimated about 500gms per puppy which includes the fluid and placenta. Neko is carrying double that amount. :eek: To say I am worried is an understatement.

Weight 6.9kgs :eek:

24549553416_efea71a435_c.jpg5F6A4930dpptw by kirislin, on Flickr

Her own mum Widget at about the same stage, but she had 4 puppies, Neko only has 2.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/32012294@N02/9384837413/]9384837413_753a2f4c75_z.jpg[/url]

5F6A7115dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

An experienced breeder told me she usually estimated about 500gms per puppy which includes the fluid and placenta. Neko is carrying double that amount. :eek: To say I am worried is an understatement.

When you posted the other day that she was carrying only two puppies but they were biggies, I started thinking about all the things that might make for bigger and healthier puppies. Just a lay person’s views of course and could be total rubbish. But look at the life Neko and her near forebears have led: the best of everything in terms of nutrition, veterinarian care, love, interesting lives, lots of fun and exercise, etc etc. Surely this must lead to bigger and better babies.

It’s happened with humans - why not dogs, I wonder?

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

An experienced breeder told me she usually estimated about 500gms per puppy which includes the fluid and placenta. Neko is carrying double that amount. :eek: To say I am worried is an understatement.

When you posted the other day that she was carrying only two puppies but they were biggies, I started thinking about all the things that might make for bigger and healthier puppies. Just a lay person’s views of course and could be total rubbish. But look at the life Neko and her near forebears have led: the best of everything in terms of nutrition, veterinarian care, love, interesting lives, lots of fun and exercise, etc etc. Surely this must lead to bigger and better babies.

It’s happened with humans - why not dogs, I wonder?

I think in this case it is probably more to do with them being totally unrelated to each other. They might double up many generations back but essentially they are unrelated dogs. It might almost be like hybrid vigour. I dont know for sure though. If she had more puppies they would probably be smaller too but since she only has 2 they've had all the nutrition and room they needed to grow like little dinosaurs. I'm going to speak to the vet today and take his and the breeders advice, hopefully that wont be conflicting advice.

Is there any chance the 2 you saw were actually hiding anyone else from view? Not completely beyond the realms of possibility, is it? And heartbeats can be in sync... thus making it hard to distinguish more...

Wishful thinking here... lol!

Whatever the birthing outcome, Neko will have absolutely gorgeous and healthy babies within the next 10 days... focus on that.

T.

Gosh this seems to have come around quickly! It sounds like you're prepared and ready so whatever happens you have help at hand and all will be well. Stating the obvious but don't forget to have the camera charged! :)

Is there any chance the 2 you saw were actually hiding anyone else from view? Not completely beyond the realms of possibility, is it? And heartbeats can be in sync... thus making it hard to distinguish more...

Wishful thinking here... lol!

Whatever the birthing outcome, Neko will have absolutely gorgeous and healthy babies within the next 10 days... focus on that.

T.

I would so love to be proven wrong in this case but I am 100% sure there are only 2 puppies. I've found 2 clear heartbeats, one on each side. Unless you have the stethoscope right over the top of the puppys heart you can still hear it but it's muffled. When it's on top of it there's no mistaking it. It almost has a slight clicking sound, I dont know another word to describe it. It's normal but that's how it sounds to me. Then the vet ultrasounded her and looked all over and he too could only find 2 puppies. I have had lots of experienced breeders say IGs hide them up under their ribs. Well I would dearly love to be proven wrong and have a few more pop out on birthing day, but I am certain that wont happen.

Gosh this seems to have come around quickly! It sounds like you're prepared and ready so whatever happens you have help at hand and all will be well. Stating the obvious but don't forget to have the camera charged! :)

I've got the room set up now, did it all yesterday, even shampooed the carpets, but thanks for the reminder about the camera batteries!

Deep breaths!

Neko is perefectly fit and healthy.

She has a doting owner who is well versed in the ins and outs of the breed and whelping.

All will turn out just fine, and this time next week we will all be cooing over the gorgeous little bundles of joy Neko has made for us...

Hugs at ya!

T.