Is This Even Legal?

I have a relative who won a miniature horse in a raffle and frankly they shouldn't be allowed to own a pet rock. I've rescued an animal from them before because the animal was living in disgusting conditions. With zero experience and dollar signs in their eyes, the last plan I heard was that they were looking for a Stallion to breed foals to sell. Ashamed to be related really. :(

S

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far I as know, no threats were actually made (the post was pulled because it got very critical of TL). In my opinion, Tasmanian Labradoodles started the whole thing in the hopes of not only making some money and getting some free publicity but also to create a sense of good-will. They also give away "therapy" dogs for the same reason. And it works- in one group I'm in, a woman said (I'm paraphrasing here) that we should all stop being so horriwbly mean to TL because they do so much good for the community by giving away the pups they can't sell.

I'm sure the owner is aware that the tide is turning against puppy farming (which he admits he does) so they're busy trying to portray themselves as some sort of cuddle factory where rainbows and sunshine and happy thoughts are made (rather than a filthy farm where bitches pump out puppies until they can breed no further and are then killed).

Sorry HA but your cuddle factory analogy made me giggle. :o But the filthy farm comment is very true.

I had a friend who bought (read as "you can have this one or she will be put down") an older bitch from a high volume breeder (purebreds but little different to what would normally be called a puppy farm, just cleaner). She nearly died during desexing and the vet's graphic description of her uterus always haunts me - he said "Wet a tissue and put it on the table. Then try and pick it up without breaking it. That was her uterus. Now imagine that each break bleeds..."

Sorry = OT.

But yes, I too have seen raffles etc at specific events - for horse services, for sheepdog pups from highly desirable lines etc. But they are very much targeted at an audience that have the means and knowledge to take on an animal for reasons other than impulse and general cuteness.

When I was growing up and wanted a pony, I entered many competitions, both in newspapers and magazines, to win my own horse (and who is to say that the winner even knew how to look after one, let alone afford the costs associated with a horse). Is this any different?

Edited by Linda K

sorry, read the rest of the pages now, and see this has already been brought up. Good for the puppy that they did not go through with it, hopefully they can find a different way to help raise money for this cause.

As far I as know, no threats were actually made (the post was pulled because it got very critical of TL). In my opinion, Tasmanian Labradoodles started the whole thing in the hopes of not only making some money and getting some free publicity but also to create a sense of good-will. They also give away "therapy" dogs for the same reason. And it works- in one group I'm in, a woman said (I'm paraphrasing here) that we should all stop being so horriwbly mean to TL because they do so much good for the community by giving away the pups they can't sell.

I'm sure the owner is aware that the tide is turning against puppy farming (which he admits he does) so they're busy trying to portray themselves as some sort of cuddle factory where rainbows and sunshine and happy thoughts are made (rather than a filthy farm where bitches pump out puppies until they can breed no further and are then killed).

Sorry HA but your cuddle factory analogy made me giggle. :o But the filthy farm comment is very true.

I had a friend who bought (read as "you can have this one or she will be put down") an older bitch from a high volume breeder (purebreds but little different to what would normally be called a puppy farm, just cleaner). She nearly died during desexing and the vet's graphic description of her uterus always haunts me - he said "Wet a tissue and put it on the table. Then try and pick it up without breaking it. That was her uterus. Now imagine that each break bleeds..."

Sorry = OT.

But yes, I too have seen raffles etc at specific events - for horse services, for sheepdog pups from highly desirable lines etc. But they are very much targeted at an audience that have the means and knowledge to take on an animal for reasons other than impulse and general cuteness.

That made me cringe but I'd imagine it'd be pretty accurate. At least the ex broodies from TL don't have to worry about stuff like that- the owner has them put to sleep after he's finished with them >.> A friend of mine (now the proud owner of a rescued grey) actually wanted to buy one of his ex brood bitches and was refused because apparently the breeding bitches are.. his wording was either feral or wild, I forget which. Neither are adjectives you'd want associated the mother of the puppy you were buying, either way.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Apparently they were raising money to pay for a prophylactic mastectomy and breast reconstruction for a lady with the really nasty breast cancer gene. It's a worthy cause since the surgery isn't government funded and usually costs anywhere up to $50,000 but having a first prize in a raffle of a puppy not surprisingly got a lot of people off side.

Every female in my OH's family has tested positive for the gene. I am sure thousands of people do and while I feel incredibly sorry for her a raffle such is that was poor form, especially those that organised it

Edited by behluka