Do You Report People?

ncarter

Just walking the dogs around the neighbourhood. Last week i walked past a park on the opposite side of the road and had someone's dog run onto the road trying to get to my dog. Thank god it eventually turned around and went back to its master.

And tonight i was walking in half light and had some dog come at my dog from no-where. It had some coat on it that tied around the front of its chest, but for a second i was thinking breast plate. Anyway the dog come right onto the footpath and was looking to get at my dog who was trying to hide behind my legs. I had to yell at the dog and was thinking about kicking it when the bloke who owned him was at the door of the house with his keys about to go in. So he called the dog and it came. Obviously he had just been out with the dog and is one of these people who dont believe in leads. So no harm done really. But i look back at the bloke and no apology or anything.

So i was thinking is it worth reporting people for things like this? Would the council or ranger likely do anything?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh well its not like i really want the dog declared dangerous or anything. But there was the point where the dog could have attacked mine and the bloke is 20 metres away doing something else. Obviously no front fence or anything.

Definitely. Might at least get a ranger to do a drive by every now and then! We have one that walks between two houses and in and out of the fence and it's a nasty little shite, I'd love to report it, but never sure which house it lives at. One day!

I don't know what the WA rules are but the SA rules are

Dogs must be on lead on public footpaths including bike paths.

Dogs must not harass people or animals including other dogs and wildlife.

If the person isn't apologetic and doesn't do anything to sort the situation - I'd report them. I'd also report them if I thought the dog was in danger by crossing the road. Ie a busy road.

But if the dog is essentially friendly and the road is quiet, then I would say hi and keep walking.

Personally I wouldn't. Unless the dog was menancing towards mine, I would just carry on and mind my own business. The dogs were called off and no harm done.

It is scary when an unknown dog comes running towards you. We had a couple of incidences with our JRTx where I feared for his safety but thankfully, nothing came of them.

But sometimes I think for a community that wants to become dog friendly, we are very quick to report everything and soon our community will be very intolerant of dogs.

Given how wonderful (not) most Councils are about dog management, I would try confronting the owner as a first step. Common law gives people the right to confront their accuser, so reporting the dog doesn't give you anonymity, and it's much more likely to provoke fights and resentment than approaching the owner personally. That is, if the Council doesn't just ignore the complaint.

Would you report if your dog weighs six or seven times as much as the attacking dog and your dog contributed a little. Olle got bitten on the nose by a chihuahua on the weekend. He definitely contributed because he always wants to greet every dog he sees. The only thing that stops him is a treat waved under his nose; only we were a block from our house and I had run out. Anyway the dog, whose owner often lets him out the front without a lead where he runs up and down the road like a mad thing, was running past and Olle put his head down to sniff the dog and got bitten. It is just a scratch, we were a partly at fault and Olle wasn't fazed at all, so I don't even know if it is worth reporting.

Yep.

My girl isnt good with other dogs, I don't care how big or small the other dog is or how friendly they are, if they come near us it could end badly. I have a Right to walk my dog without having other dogs walk up to us.

I also have reported a cat, stupid thing attacked my dog twice then me one day walking home.

Usually yes although it doesn't always make a total difference. I'm surrounded by people who let their large dogs roam - usually outside of council hours.

My council suggests taking photos with a date/time stamp and sending in.

It's not only about the safety of my own dogs - it's about other people's dogs, people who are terrified of dogs of any size, the loose dog's own safety from other dogs, people, traffic etc.

Edited by dogmad

Would you report if your dog weighs six or seven times as much as the attacking dog and your dog contributed a little. Olle got bitten on the nose by a chihuahua on the weekend. He definitely contributed because he always wants to greet every dog he sees. The only thing that stops him is a treat waved under his nose; only we were a block from our house and I had run out. Anyway the dog, whose owner often lets him out the front without a lead where he runs up and down the road like a mad thing, was running past and Olle put his head down to sniff the dog and got bitten. It is just a scratch, we were a partly at fault and Olle wasn't fazed at all, so I don't even know if it is worth reporting.

If your dog was onlead then you weren't at fault at all. Hard to keep your onlead dog away from an offlead one. If you dog is likely to chomp (badly) any dog that approaches then that is a different matter and needs different management for the protection of your dog and others. Sounds like your boy is just friendly though.

Chi's are one breed that I don't go anywhere near though! They scare the shit out of me!