Do You Report People?

ncarter

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...who's in the wrong if you're innocently walking your timid/submissive (runs away from any dogs friendly or not icon_smile_mad.gif ) Border Collie on lead and someone's elderly-ish (salt & pepper nose) dog comes rushing out growling it's head off trying to get at my dog!? So I was blocking at it with my leg, trying to push it away on the shoulder so it'd just eff off!!! Eventually his owner follows it out. So I start walking away cos the dog seems to have stopped for a bit, but that set it off again (we weren't even in front of it's house at this stage!!) so I was trying harder to push/block/kick it away and the owner yells at me for kicking his dog! Fair enough, but surely he would've thought perhaps I don't appreciate his dog having a go at mine as we're just walking past!?!? icon_smile_mad.gif So I was just all angry by then and just yelled at him to stop his dog from attacking mine and I wouldn't be kicking it!!

Then we walked away and about 100m down the road I just burst into tears crying.gif it was a similar feeling to falling off a horse I think! Felt slightly gutted and a little bit scared and yeah. Now I'm a bit less adventurous about walking different routes because you never know who you'll run into.

And yeah I'm so tired of dogs in front yards running at the fence barking. Probably wouldn't bug me with another dog but more and more often, my dog is becoming more and more reluctant as we go past those houses - he'll even stop at the street before, so it's painful even going for a walk now!! I have no idea what else I can do because I use it as an opportunity to exercise myself for free (can't afford the gym!) while I have him with me and I feel slightly safer (in our neighbourhood) than by myself.....

Dammit I miss farm life.

Sorry about the wall of text.

TL;DR - other people suck, barking dogs suck, etc. embarrass.gif

I cant understand why you would put your dog in that position and completely disregard other people and their dogs.

What if it's not in complete disregard of other people and their dogs? What if other people and their dogs do it everyday anyway? Do you join them because your dog likes it and all the other dogs involved enjoy it or do you continue to walk your dog on leash because it's the law despite the fact your dogs are better behaved than most and the place is already crawling with off leash dogs?

I faced this same dilemma and in the end compromised. Dogs are allowed off on the fields if no one is on them (including the people that practice golf driving next to the sign that expressly forbids it), and they are off along the back of the field where we meet the occasional jogger, walkers, or other dog walkers, then go back on when we walk along the main thoroughfare, past the playground and picnic tables and fishermen and off again at the point sometimes if it's nice and they want a swim. It seemed pointless to keep my dogs on leash when everyone else's dogs were off leash having fun in case my dogs annoyed said dogs (who had already come to greet us anyway). Particularly when people were like "Why are your dogs on leash? Are they aggressive? Do they run away? Should I put mine on?" If we see someone with an on leash dog mine go on leash or into stays well out of the way. I don't consider that completely disregarding other people and their dogs.

I don't really care if people want to walk their dogs off lead, as long as they stay away from me and my dogs.

Although for people who do this, please be careful, I've seen a friends "extremely well trained dog who would never run into the road", do just that and be hit by a car. :(

So if everyone breaks the law then it's ok. Actually there are many people inconvenienced by the deliberate breaking of the law and I am one of them. I would like to use the many off leash parks with my reactive dog and I walk a considerable distance away from the off leash park 500m away from my house to do so only to find it being illegally used by people flouting the law. Those people are endangering my dog, when he is rushed by your dog he will react and then he will be labelled a menace.

Many non dog owners would also like to use these parks but cannot because of such thoughtlessness. I have had many conversations with elderly people who compliment me on obeying the law, they are happy to be around dogs and often come for a pat but for many the threat of tripping over an off leash dog could put them at risk for a broken hip and other injuries. I had a very sad conversation with a lady who can no longer walk her own dog because she fears she will be injured in such an encounter.

There are many off leash areas where your dig can run free but try consider other people when not in an off leash area. You may not be inconvenienced but others are.

Hmmm disgraceful? Hardly. Free use of public land is exactly what I'm doing. And I do it every day without inconveniencing anyone.

So when your off leash dog rushes up to an onleash dog & that dog doesn't like it & takes a bite out of your dog, I bet you will be the first one rushing to report the onleash dog.

Keep your bloody dog onleash, except when in an off leash area. I'm sick of having to walk my dog at midnight, just so I don't run into irresponsible owners like you. :mad

:shrug: My dog doesn't like the (prohibited) golf drivers. And he's reactive to kids with soccer balls, but kids with soccer balls still come to the off leash dog park. He doesn't really like kids running up to him and then screaming, but kids still do it sometimes. At the off leash dog park. He is also reactive to other dogs playing games of fetch. Something that regularly occurs at dog parks. Neither of my dogs like it when other dogs charge up to fencelines and race up and down barking viciously at them. Happens on the street, happens at the dog park sometimes too. Both my dogs want to chase cats, which makes me anxious every time we see one. I am scared they will scare a cat onto the road and I wish people would keep their cats in so I didn't have to look after them. I hate dirt bikes, which require us to gather the dogs in and find a place where we can wait off the road so we won't be run over. The bikers are nearly always somewhere they are not allowed to be. Unfortunately, the world is not inherently considerate towards me and my reactive dog. But there is room to accommodate the ideals and cultures of others in our lives. It just means that sometimes we change our plans on the run, or sometimes we are inconvenienced, or sometimes I am frustrated that just when I finally got everything under control someone threw a ball right beside us, or sometimes we drive a ways to find somewhere quiet and relaxing. We are considerate towards others even when they are not strictly doing the 'right' thing, and oftentimes they are considerate towards us. I am okay turning a blind eye when it hurts no one. Even when I'm not enjoying the activity I'm turning a blind eye towards.

Perfect example of how you cant speak logically with illogical people and why here on dogz we constantly get a new thread about the kind of crap responsible dog owners and non dog owners have to put up with if they want to move around their own neighbourhood and the councils who allow it and don't fine people should be named and shamed until they do.

Just because everyone else breaks the law its O.K.? Why don't we all just pick another law and all go ahaed and break it - you sound just as the idiots sounded who were being charged for drag racing who said everyone else does it around here and were surprised when they kill some off and terrorise the neighbourhood and they have to comply with the law - I mean they werent hurting anyone were they? Do you know how many of us are too afraid to take our dogs for a walk, move around our neighbourhoods and are virtually housebound because of this attitude? Yeah Yeah everyone who does it have dogs that are different , they are well trained and always under control even when off leash - crap. Do you know how many of us avoid you when we see you up ahead or we know you use a certain area - how many of us cant enjoy areas or activities we have a right to because you decide you have more rights and you are above the law? Why don't we let school kids ride their skate boards on a footpath and see how many old people and pedestrians they can skittle while we are at it ? Ive No doubt they would also say "everyone else does it - people around here expect it so they dont walk here because they know it where skateboarders have taken over at certain times of the day !

Selfish disgraceful behaviour and the fact that you can come here and attempt to defend the fact that you do it is incredible.

Keep your dogs on leash or keep them at home.

Turning a blind eye when its not hurting anyone - how do you know who its hurting ? If people have to change their route, plans, whether they walk their own dogs or live frightened to go out of their own yard or play kick to kick or cricket in a public park how would you know ? Just because they don't happen to be there when there's a bunch of people breaking the law with their dogs running free doesn't mean they aren't affected by it.

Hmmm disgraceful? Hardly. Free use of public land is exactly what I'm doing. And I do it every day without inconveniencing anyone.

Since when do you get to use public land illegally? Try growing dope or doing a wee where people can see you ,maybe you'd like to dump some rubbish, assault someone, steal something? You wouldn't have a clue who you are inconveniencing.

I'm with Steve. I have a DA dog and hate hate hate going for walks, I'm sick of people telling me it's ok because their dog is friendly.

It's horrible that because of people who can't follow the law my girl is locked up more. I know what will happen if someone's SWF runs up and my girl hurts it (who will get the blame? The cute little friendly dog off lead or the stafford who is on the lead following the law who has issues with other dogs?)

Makes me happy to live in a small coastal town where 80% dogs are walked off leash, I dread the day when we get more sea changers moving down to get away from it all only to bring all the rules with them. You don't need a leash to keep your dog under control, we have taught our girl to give dogs on lead a wide birth as it is a tourist dog and is not used to freedom. There has only been one person in our area that has troubled other people with out of control dogs ie: killing a little fluffy one. Ironically the killers were on the lead, the matter was dealt with privately.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/society-and-culture/bowled-over-by-rude-dog-owners-20100130-n4fz.html

Sorry cant work out how to get rid of the add but this article addresses this issue too.

Let's start by getting one thing straight. I don't hate dogs - it's just the current breed of dog owners I can't stand. The other day we were enjoying a morning stroll down a busy shopping strip. Suddenly, like a crazed bat out of hell, a border collie came hurtling down the footpath, seemingly unaccompanied by any sane or responsible owner.

Credit where credit's due, the dog did stop at the pedestrian lights, drawing a look of surprise from some people and a smug smile of adoration from its owners who were cycling down the street. That's right, riding their bikes on a parallel, but completely separate, path some three or four metres away.

The lights eventually changed, the owners gave those around them a self-satisfied smile and, with a whistle, they were off again. The dog had to run pretty fast to keep up with its masters, zig-zagging along the busy pavement, brushing past prams containing sleeping babies, pushing its way around the odd wheelchair, its desperation to keep up with its owners paramount in its mind.

Having your dog off its lead seems to be an emerging trend around our neighbourhood. Oh no, the owners are saying to us, you can't oppress my dog with all your rules and your leads.

Advertisement

It would seem that letting your dog run free is secret code for ''look at how special I am - my dog totally idolises me''. It is as if, by way of extension, we, too, should realise these people's amazing leadership qualities and general greatness, as if they had been democratically voted into this position of power by a vast audience of intelligent people, rather than exalted to this spot by one, flea-infested and, let's face it, smelly canine.

What I don't get about having your dog off-lead is why, if you love your dog as much as you purport to do, you would put it at increased risk of being hit by a car or getting lost.

Research last year from the University of British Columbia put the intelligence of dogs on par with the average two-year-old child. This is in itself pretty impressive, but I don't let my two-year-old wander the streets, trusting that they have a full grasp of the complexities of our road rules. As I love and want to protect my children, I tend to hold their hand as we cross roads or confine them to the safety of a pram. Letting them have free rein amid unpredictable traffic would probably have people questioning my capacity as a parent, not marvelling at how relaxed and casual I am.

Our little brush with the canine running of the Stawell Gift was just one of many occasions recently when we have been bothered by rogue dogs.

Lately, it seems that every time we are picnicking in the park or playing in the playground some exuberant mutt comes to spoil the party, trampling over the food and pushing over the children. Invariably, rather than apologise to us or chastise the animal, the owner will look at the cowering children and answer my glare with a ''Don't worry, she's very friendly'', the subtext of which is ''Stop being an uptight cow and foisting your fears on to your children''. The thing is, though, I actually want my children to have a mistrust of dogs. A bit of healthy apprehension is well founded.

Earlier this week, a report from the Dog Attack Register revealed an average of eight reported dog attacks each day in NSW alone. In Victoria, it is estimated that there are about nine attacks a day. And that's the reported attacks, not the odd nip here or there. And guess what? Almost all the owners of those dogs said that their dogs were friendly too.

Yes, I know. The dogs are not to blame and not all dog owners are selfish. But some are and I'm sick of being made to feel like it's my problem if I'm not overjoyed by the overly affectionate attention of your dog. ''Oh he likes you,'' the owner will say as their dog jumps up, licks your face and makes the occasional dive for your crotch.

As an experiment, let's try replacing the word ''dog'' with the word ''uncle'' in that last sentence and see how you'd feel about it if I just shrugged my shoulders and said, ''Oh Uncle Chester, you rascal''.

So to all you dog owners I say, enough of the crap - and I'm not talking about what you leave on the footpath. Letting your dog roam the streets unrestrained isn't a mark of how brilliantly obedient they are or how great you must be. Instead, it is a threat to public safety, your dog's wellbeing and my personal space. As Ann Landers implored: "Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."

Sarah McKenzie is a freelance writer.

Are you thick or are you being deliberately argumentative? Where have I said that I let my dog tear around harassing the elderly, biting reactive dogs, terrorising small children (my god won't someone think of the children) destroying family picnics and killing every small fluffy dog within range.

I go to great lengths to ensure my dog doesn't do these things and in many instances I have a more effective control that people waking on lead.

Are you in favour of penalising all dog owners, who are perfectly capable of doing the right thing, because some dog owners don't?

Are you thick or are you being deliberately argumentative? Where have I said that I let my dog tear around harassing the elderly, biting reactive dogs, terrorising small children (my god won't someone think of the children) destroying family picnics and killing every small fluffy dog within range.

I go to great lengths to ensure my dog doesn't do these things and in many instances I have a more effective control that people waking on lead.

Are you in favour of penalising all dog owners, who are perfectly capable of doing the right thing, because some dog owners don't?

How does anyone know you and your dog are different to any other dog or any other person when they see your dog off leash? If I saw you walking your dog off leash I would take steps to do everything I could to avoid you and your dog and the area you were walking in - so you get to do what you like in that area and the rest of us don't ? How does anyone seeing you walk your dog off leash understand that you are different to them and that they shouldn't also walk their dog off leash in this area ? I have a repsonsibility to keep my dogs and my family safe and a dog off leash is a risk which I shouldn't have to consider - I cant afford to take your word for it that your dog is not going to hurt me or them because the consequences are too great and you already prove you are a high risk because you dont follow the law and could care less for other people and their dogs.

And no Im not for people being penalised or having their rights removed because some dont do the right thing - thats the whole point.

I can no longer legally take my dog places and do all I used to be able to do with my dog because people like you dont follow the law and more and more laws are introduced. I have dogs and I love them - couldn't live without them but I don't like your dogs and I dont want to have to be manipulated into where I go and what I do by people who think they have more rights than me to free enjoyment of my community. Say what you want, try and justify it all you want - fact is unless its a designated off leash area its against the law and if everyone had followed laws about keeping their dogs restrained we would never have heard of BSL.

HaHa, best not come to where I live, where dogs are generally allowed in shops or blocking the door waiting for there human, sorry you live in such an uptight world. :D

Im happy that you still get to live the way we all used to and I hope you never get to a point where people need be afraid to leave their homes in fear of off leash dogs - but take a good look in other areas in hundreds of threads here - its a world gone mad. In your community if one of the dogs or the people were not user friendly the community would deal with it as was the case when I was younger - for many its having to be dealt with by staying home, carrying a big stick etc. and it makes them fearful of any dog they see off leash in order to be sure they and their dogs are safe.

Did you overlook the part where I said if your dog is being a menace or you don't have control then it isn't acceptable?

No. It is irrelevant how well behaved your dog is. It is against the law, yet you frequently do it? It's not acceptable even if you have the most perfectly behaved dog in the world. Why can't people understand this?

It's has no effect on you so why would you seek to deny me what I feel is a basic requirement for both myself and my dog? I go to great lengths to make sure my dog is well socialised, well behaved and well trained. Each to their own but, having a dog restrained continually does not in any way fit into my philosophies of owning a dog.

Have you ever exceeded the speed limit while running late to work? Not quite come to a complete stop at a stop sign? Driven a car while tired? Paid a tradesman cash? Not worn a helmet on a push bike? Stayed a little bit to long in a times car park? Etc etc

Just picking up on your "having a dog restrained continually does not in any way fit into my philosophies of owning a dog".

They have a garden to be free in and other places, I get really fed up when I see dogs off the leash in public places. I drive down a busy 6 lane road to get home each day and there are a couple of dog owners who walk their dogs on the pavement off leash ...

Now that might be safe but if you work in rescue like me, you would have heard numerous stories such as "I taught him to walk off lead. He was 9 years old. One day we were walking along the road and he suddenly ran into the traffic". I'm not making this up and have heard it too many times. You are responsible for your dog's safety and it's not only wandering into traffic that can be an issue.

My vets have a sign up "all dogs must be on lead, cats in a container". There are stupid people who don't believe in that either. Not only is it totally disrespectful to others but it's dangerous. I was in there the other day and a JRT cross came in off the lead, raced over to my two dogs sitting by my feet and sniffed and said hello. The owners came in and said "oh good, he's been friendly. there was a time where he would have had a go at dogs like yours". What if my dogs had been larger and DA?

I asked why he wasn't on a lead and the man said to me "we don't like to put any pressure on him". What a load of bollocks. I couldn't reason with these stupid owners. :mad

Edited by dogmad

Apparently there are two types of people in the world. Those that always keep their dogs on leash in on leash areas and those that let their dogs run amok all over the place harassing and frightening people and upsetting dog reactive dogs.

How does anyone know you and your dog are different to any other dog or any other person when they see your dog off leash? If I saw you walking your dog off leash I would take steps to do everything I could to avoid you and your dog and the area you were walking in - so you get to do what you like in that area and the rest of us don't ? How does anyone seeing you walk your dog off leash understand that you are different to them and that they shouldn't also walk their dog off leash in this area ? I have a repsonsibility to keep my dogs and my family safe and a dog off leash is a risk which I shouldn't have to consider - I cant afford to take your word for it that your dog is not going to hurt me or them because the consequences are too great and you already prove you are a high risk because you dont follow the law and could care less for other people and their dogs.

And no Im not for people being penalised or having their rights removed because some dont do the right thing - thats the whole point.

I can no longer legally take my dog places and do all I used to be able to do with my dog because people like you dont follow the law and more and more laws are introduced. I have dogs and I love them - couldn't live without them but I don't like your dogs and I dont want to have to be manipulated into where I go and what I do by people who think they have more rights than me to free enjoyment of my community. Say what you want, try and justify it all you want - fact is unless its a designated off leash area its against the law and if everyone had followed laws about keeping their dogs restrained we would never have heard of BSL.

Where's the like button!

This is exactly the point. How does anyone else know that your dog won't rush to them, or that its not aggressive? You are inconveniencing people no matter how amazing your dog is and you dont seem to give a rats a#* about it either. I too would do everything possible to avoid you and everyone else with their off lead dogs as I can't tell you how many times I've heard 'it's ok, he's friendly' or 'she just wants to play' and the said dog is anything but friendly and is trying to incite something a lot more than play.

Some of you may remember a few years ago I posted about breaking up a bad dog fight while out walking my dogs. An older SBT (being walked off lead) had approached a young SBT X being walked (on lead) on a public footpath and started mauling it. When we came across this scene it had been going for a while and my hubby took our dogs home and I went to offer asistance.

I separated them pretty quickly (despite being told to f%^k off by the owner of the SBT) and advised the owners of the younger dog to get it to a vet ASAP as it had a horrific wound around its neck and throat.

The owner of the attacking dog kept saying over and over that 'he's never done anything like this before' and 'he's 9 years old and never attacked another dog'. I told her that she was a fool for having him off lead and that this was her responsibility to pay for the other dogs vet bill. Two days later, as I was driving to work I saw her walking the same dog, off lead :(

If your dog is so well under control then what difference would putting a leash make to him. Surely he would still be walking in control at your side, just with a leash attached and hence not breaking the law?