Cu For Anxious Dogs And Also Impulse Control

I started using the CU with Dodger about a week ago, and used it to introduce our new foster to the family. OMG what an amazing change. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The other thing I have found is a wonderful site that uses naturopathics for anxiety for animals http://www.healwithease.com/products-page/remedies-for-pets/stress-relief-for-pets-2 which I plan to get to trial to see if this helps the overall process.

Teaching impulse control was another eye opener - what a much better way to go, something that I will be using with the new pup.

I made an LAT mistake - which my dog truly took advantage of...

She is nuts about the lawnmower man, so I tried to use LAT to get her to be more calm when he was around but my reward timing was off, so she figured, "carry on like a pork chop, stop look at mum, and I get a treat - repeat"... She backchained the pork chop with the calm behaviour...

Arrrghh.

So now she gets a pat for being calm and an increased distance if she pork chops. And things are getting better.

I made an LAT mistake - which my dog truly took advantage of...

She is nuts about the lawnmower man, so I tried to use LAT to get her to be more calm when he was around but my reward timing was off, so she figured, "carry on like a pork chop, stop look at mum, and I get a treat - repeat"... She backchained the pork chop with the calm behaviour...

Arrrghh.

So now she gets a pat for being calm and an increased distance if she pork chops. And things are getting better.

Yep...your timing would be off. You have to click BEFORE she reacts ie as soon as her eyes go in his direction & if she still carries on then you are too close to the problem. You need to work a long way away, but you have probably worked that out :)

I tried this with my new feral, I had to stop for the time being, she is so focused on getting to the food that she was biting my fingers :confused: so might have to invest in some heavy duty gloves until she 'gets it' :rofl:

Darn no miracle copper supplement! My mistake was saying "look at the dog" which I use with whatever he freaks at. Unfortunately he decided to freak out at my OH's female work colleague....half way through pointing at her saying "look at the um..."

No miracle cure but ... another site/company. I have emailed them regarding Dodger's stress issues to see if they can recommend something for him. If you're after just general destresser I have included the link. I do know a couple of people that have used this company for themselves and also their dogs and only have positive things to say about them.

http://www.healwithease.com/products-page/remedies-for-pets/stress-relief-for-pets-2

I tried this with my new feral, I had to stop for the time being, she is so focused on getting to the food that she was biting my fingers :confused: so might have to invest in some heavy duty gloves until she 'gets it' :rofl:

Just a thought I use a jar of peanut butter, smeared on the inside of the plastic jar and left in the fridge. I hold the bottom of the jar and he gets a few licks dependent on the intensity of the stimulus. He does occaisionally bite the jar but my hands are safe at the bottom of the jar and the licking keeps his jaw relaxed.

Edited by hankdog

Teach her to play catch with the food. With my dog, when I am playing LAT, she is obviously going to be fairly close to me, so when she looks at the distracting object, I click & she turns to me & I say "catch" as I throw the reward into her mouth. So now, she is getting two rewards for turning to me, the treat as well as the chance to play "catch" :) But practice "catch" first without the distractions, so she gets to understand that she has to catch the treat & you get your aim right. :laugh:

Darn no miracle copper supplement! My mistake was saying "look at the dog" which I use with whatever he freaks at. Unfortunately he decided to freak out at my OH's female work colleague....half way through pointing at her saying "look at the um..."

:rofl: