Genetic Issue In <1yo Dog - Breeder Responsibility?

Mike Echo

Yes exactly powerlegs. Ness' dog Kenzi in the Health and Nutrition forum is a case in point - good breeder, homework and research done, and still stuff happens. Same with my Mac - five ops later and I'm 15k out of pocket - was it his previous foster carer at fault? Nope. Stuff happens. Would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat. smile.gif. Just like the OP.smile.gif

Personally, for such a young dog and subject to a second vet opinion of my choice confirming it is a heritable condition that your rearing practices have not contributed to, I would refund your purchase price. But I doubt there is any legal reason for the breeder to do so.

Edited by Diva

My position, as a pet owner, who adopts purebred dogs. I don't suffer from the delusion that breeders have God-like powers, over every single ailment that may have some genetic origin. And the connection between genes & the expression of some ailment isn't always simple. Environmental factors can be needed to trigger them. Or a particular problem may be thought to have a genetic origin but it's not clear.... nor is it clear which gene or combination of genes is involved.

So my position would be to take case by case. And not to require standards of prediction that don't even exist in human medicine.

Which means I accept (& by Gad, I'd better) there will always be some risk, in both dogs & humans, of ailments being later expressed that would not have been predictable. So, in most cases, I wouldn't expect money back from a breeder, nor would I ask. If the breeder turns into God.... I would then. :) Or if I wanted no risk at all, I'd adopt a stuffed toy dog. :)

In the meantime, I deal with registered breeders that I know, by reputation, to do the best that's humanly possible.

In the case of ailments that are known to occur in the breed.... & maybe tests exist.... it's another matter.

This is my position only.... & I'm not telling the OP what to do, nor anyone else.

Edited by mita

Yes exactly powerlegs. Ness' dog Kenzi in the Health and Nutrition forum is a case in point - good breeder, homework and research done, and still stuff happens. Same with my Mac - five ops later and I'm 15k out of pocket - was it his previous foster carer at fault? Nope. Stuff happens. Would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat. smile.gif. Just like the OP.smile.gif

Yes exactly. Same here, great breeder, all health checks going back at least 5 generations and my lemon has cost me over $16000 with more than likely another $8000 surgery next year...and he's not even 2 yet. My breeder was amazing and refunded his purchase price which I did not want to take but my now ex insisted.

So sorry for this to happen but sometimes crappy things happen to good people. And at least this pup ended up with someone that is prepared to do whatever is needed!

unfortunately breeders are not magicians, we can only test for what we KNOW are problems in our chosen breed. Most of us do our very best to breed a healthy dog, but sometimes things pop up that you have no idea where it has come from and could do nothing to prevent it happening.

Sometime there is no blame...

I purchased a purebred pup in October last year, and have paid out close to $15k since for a condition which is considered to be genetic, although not heard of in his breed. We have had it surgically fixed, and that should be the end of it, but I dont blame the breeder at all. None of the other pups have had anything like it, or any issues at all. Its just a rare freaky thing that happened. However, the bitch (mum) has a trait of killing the pups when they are born, and I wandered if it could have happened in other pups and she took care of it early? We will never know as they dont breed from her anymore due to her killing the babies. But I still wonder.

The breeder still asks how our guy is and I know he feels bad about all the issues we have had with him, but thats also part of owning a dog. They are a living entity, constantly changing and renewing thier cells, things can and do happen.

Thanks again everyone who responded. I don't believe the breeder was negligent in any way, nor would I have expected anyone to pay vet bills more then the cost of the dog - I just wanted to get a feel for what most people thought.

Cheers.

1375438958[/url]' post='6268358']

Thanks again everyone who responded. I don't believe the breeder was negligent in any way, nor would I have expected anyone to pay vet bills more then the cost of the dog - I just wanted to get a feel for what most people thought.

Cheers.

Reasonable request. Looks like you got what you asked for. For me, the bottom line is it doesn't hurt to ask.

I don't think anyone here could be expected to reply because there is insufficient information to do so. We need to know breed and condition.

However, if you have not contacted the breeder to advise of this condition, please do so.