Boy, Dad Mauled In Dog Attack

Yonjuro

Quote:."

.. again owners have failed their dog by not restraining it correctly."

Would a a well adjusted socialized dog be likely to attack people who are not threatening it? Too many times in my area I hear of dogs out of the owners property that have attacked other animals and humans. Breed is irrelevant. The idea that if it was properly restrained on the property the attack wouldn't have happened is correct in some way... but surely if a dog likely to behave in this way is in a residential situation it is a time bomb waiting to happen. Accidents happen.Gates not secured properly. Dogs get out. I have had many breeds of dog over the years but even when out were not a threat to those they encountered. Isnt the answer education? A dog in my opinion who cannot be trusted to some degree when in public are truly not "domesticated" to be in a neighbourhood situation.

Better incomes, better areas dont always make for better owners.

I again believe the time will come where owning a dog will require some form of imdemnity insurance because of the increase in situations where innocent people have lost a way of income as of no fault of their own. Sadly this will make it harder for those doing the right thing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

horrible! I hope both father and son recover well.

Isn't that an area of million dollar plus houses? Not the usual place for a dog attack. $10,000 is an inadequate fine, and jail time should be considered. If reconstructive surgeries are required, the medical bills alone, are likely to be several thousand.

The video suggests that the dog went over a high (1.8m?) colorbond fence that many of us would have thought adequate.

If the dog did go over a fence that high I don't think the owners should be fined or jailed. As you say most people would think that size fence was well adequate and I can't see how the owners were at fault. Unless the dog has a history of jumping out of course.

If I had a dog that was not people friendly I would have him firmly contained. Or I would PTS him.

There are many dogs that can clear 1.8m fences easy. DA and HA dogs need to be rehabilitated or contained in a secure enclosure and not left up to chance that they can't clear the fence.

Rangers seized the dog, believed to be an American bulldog, after the attack.

American Bulldogs again.........the Jogger now this one :eek:

There is no place in the community for these stupid breeds for people wanting a protective type of dog. There is nothing wrong with having a dog that offers some protective quality in fact a dog can be very effective to keep potential thieves and unwanted visitors away and help people sleep at night, but a good GSD or Rotty will achieve that nicely who are genetically safe unless provoked with a high degree of trainability......bloody Bulldogs, Mastiff's and crap like that used as protection dogs are mauling's waiting to happen......when individual dogs in these breeds have a high degree of social aggression, they are extremely hard to train and direct aggression in the right areas for the right reason which is the reason why professional's don't use these breeds in formal protection roles.

Edited by Santo66

There is no place in the community for these stupid breeds for people wanting a protective type of dog. There is nothing wrong with having a dog that offers some protective quality in fact a dog can be very effective to keep potential thieves and unwanted visitors away and help people sleep at night, but a good GSD or Rotty will achieve that nicely who are genetically safe unless provoked with a high degree of trainability......bloody Bulldogs, Mastiff's and crap like that used as protection dogs are mauling's waiting to happen......when individual dogs in these breeds have a high degree of social aggression, they are extremely hard to train and direct aggression in the right areas for the right reason which is the reason why professional's don't use these breeds in formal protection roles.

There is a place for every breed (or mix) of dog out there in our society Santo66... I'd be willing to lay odds that most people that own bull breeds aren't feral types that the media will have you believe, nor are their dogs. Most bull breeds that I've met have been lovely tempered things who only want to be your friend and get cuddles... and I've met more than a few since being involved in rescue.

What there is no place in our community for is the type of person who thinks that they need a big powerful and inherently dangerous dog as some sort of status symbol.

Not every large bull breed type is automatically going to be likely to attack anyone - just as not every smaller breed of dog is going to be calm and happy to interact with everyone either.

Those of us who are responsible owners of larger dogs can get a bit defensive when blanket statements about them are perpetuated by the media and the blissfully ignorant. The problem is that uninformed or biased reporting often results in kneejerk legislation that can affect ALL dog owners, not just those doing the wrong thing... who will keep doing the wrong thing anyway because the laws and regulations aren't policed in any effective manner.

T.

There is a place for every breed (or mix) of dog out there in our society Santo66... I'd be willing to lay odds that most people that own bull breeds aren't feral types that the media will have you believe, nor are their dogs. Most bull breeds that I've met have been lovely tempered things who only want to be your friend and get cuddles... and I've met more than a few since being involved in rescue.

What there is no place in our community for is the type of person who thinks that they need a big powerful and inherently dangerous dog as some sort of status symbol.

Not every large bull breed type is automatically going to be likely to attack anyone - just as not every smaller breed of dog is going to be calm and happy to interact with everyone either.

Those of us who are responsible owners of larger dogs can get a bit defensive when blanket statements about them are perpetuated by the media and the blissfully ignorant. The problem is that uninformed or biased reporting often results in kneejerk legislation that can affect ALL dog owners, not just those doing the wrong thing... who will keep doing the wrong thing anyway because the laws and regulations aren't policed in any effective manner.

T.

That is exactly right T.. There is a place for all breeds in our community.

I am a 47 year old widowed accountant and have had bull breeds most of my life. I was raised around them and apart from a dobe and rott, it's the only type of dog we had.

Personally I have raised 3 bull breeds in my adult life. They have all had obedience training and gone on the be good family members.

My first two Staffords were raised with my kids and were wonderful dogs. My current boy isn't raised around kids but he is fine around them.

I also foster dogs for a couple of local rescues. Apart from the first boy, who was a kelpie cross, they have all been bull breeds.

They have been nice dogs and with a bit of love and training have all gone to homes with kids and become awesome family members..

It isn't and never has been a BREED issue!

It is about individual dogs and mostly irresponsible owners..

mmmm This is so sad for so many reasons .As a big dog owner of mainly Bull breeds over the years I know all too well how some can be putty in your hands how some turned years later and how some just seemed to have a bad streak straight off.

Our biggest was the most placid laid back melt all over you soul however people would cross the street or make the dumb comments like ""he"s a killer""

While we didn"t wait to find out if the turned arggressive one would hurt a human we feared as much and after his lust for killing smaller animals grew too deep we had him PTS .Since then we have owned little dogs .And have found they too have teeth and shouldn"t be excluded ...

It seems because big dogs do the most damage in attacks they will always make the news yet little dog attacks aren"t as highlighted .

Everytime this happens I fear the chain reaction I know if we walked our big boy after an attack in the news people would look at us differently .More big dogs seem to end up in the pounds and of course everyone has their say on why they should be there.

There is always more than what the media tells us there will always be what ifs whynots could have beens and should haves ...

But no matter what its hurtful to everyone concerned and while phyical scars will heal it often takes alot longer for the mental ones

What a load of shit

I sense a pattern. In this case, like the 2 yr old who was killed a few years ago, and the Ayen Chol death, the owner wasn't around and dog care was left in the hands of someone else.

Advice on management of large, potentially dangerous dogs doesn't usually include advice on how to care for them when you leave town. Pet sitters or leaving with a relative seems to be a dangerous option.

What a load of shit

Agree & the fact they use the word "crap like that" when referring to dogs, gives me the shits.

Says a lot for a supposed dog lovers forum. :mad

Santo66 maybe you should dissappear off the dog forums seems your full of s#%t!!!

Poor dad and son I hope they make a full fast recovery. Sounds like this dog should have been much better managed if not PTS sooner. Yet more idiots giving these breeds a bad name.

Quote:."

.. again owners have failed their dog by not restraining it correctly."

Would a a well adjusted socialized dog be likely to attack people who are not threatening it? Too many times in my area I hear of dogs out of the owners property that have attacked other animals and humans. Breed is irrelevant. The idea that if it was properly restrained on the property the attack wouldn't have happened is correct in some way... but surely if a dog likely to behave in this way is in a residential situation it is a time bomb waiting to happen. Accidents happen.Gates not secured properly. Dogs get out. I have had many breeds of dog over the years but even when out were not a threat to those they encountered. Isnt the answer education? A dog in my opinion who cannot be trusted to some degree when in public are truly not "domesticated" to be in a neighbourhood situation.

Better incomes, better areas dont always make for better owners.

I again believe the time will come where owning a dog will require some form of imdemnity insurance because of the increase in situations where innocent people have lost a way of income as of no fault of their own. Sadly this will make it harder for those doing the right thing.

But in this case the boy he attacked WAS threatening him. He stated in the video that he 'kicked the dog'.

T.

Excuse me......I said American Bulldog.....do you know what they are, what they are used for and the general character of them and yes, they are attractive to people who think they need a powerful inherently dangerous dog for a status symbol and that's why they buy them, not to have snuggles on the lounge. So we have had 3 AM Bulldogs attack the jogger and now this one which is going well given they are still quite a rare breed. Who needs a dog to jump the fence and bite the kid next door :shrug:

Santo66 maybe you should dissappear off the dog forums seems your full of s#%t!!!

It's true that professionals don't use American Bulldogs, call up the K9 squad and ask them and also ask them why they don't use breeds like that

It's a breed issue when certain breeds take a responsibility level above what the average owner can provide to keep their dog out of trouble and the community safe, massive difference in the level of control required between handling a people friendly Golden Retriever and an American Bulldog who wants to take everyone's head off. If you want a dog capable of defensive aggression, you need a breed and type of dog that is trainable in defence with the ability to cap drive.........these Bull breed mixtures are hard to train and control in aggression is the point I am making, likewise they are harder to rehabilitate so the uses of an aggressive dog in these breeds is limited.

Edited by Santo66

Santo66 - I know exactly what an American Bulldog is - and have probably been up close and personal with a few more than you have by the sounds of your arguments here. In fact I've probably been up close and personal with more bull breeds in general than you have - and that is where I draw my conclusions about them from - not media hype and ignorant spewing forth of non-facts about certain breeds.

There are "bad seeds" represented in ALL breeds... sorry - but that is FACT. I have met Labs and Goldies (and other supposedly "wonderful family pet" breeds) that I've been very leery of approaching, so don't ever assume that a certain stereotype re breed is going to be the norm either.

Sure, any larger breed dog will have the capacity to cause severe damage if inclined to bite - but that doesn't mean they are predisposed to do so as a whole.

2 American Bulldog attack stories in the media does not an epidemic make... *grin*

T.

I have owned an American bulldog beautiful nature fabulous with the kids and cats . Have also owned a couple of pitbulls same thing actually they make the perfect family dog. They are definitely not dogs for everyone, they need an owner that is knowledgeable, calm and confident. Doesn't mean they should be banned because of a few morons. I would sooner trust the bull breeds over an unknown rotti ( no offence to anyone I like them but I have met many that are very reactive).

I sense a pattern. In this case, like the 2 yr old who was killed a few years ago, and the Ayen Chol death, the owner wasn't around and dog care was left in the hands of someone else.

Advice on management of large, potentially dangerous dogs doesn't usually include advice on how to care for them when you leave town. Pet sitters or leaving with a relative seems to be a dangerous option.

I'm a pet sitter and have turned jobs down because I believed the dogs were not safety contained. One dog was in a great yard but could be aggressive with strangers, owners had never left it alone before and were not sure if he would try to get out, they ended up using a kennel as I wouldn't do it.

It comes down to knowing your dog

T.

Excuse me......I said American Bulldog.....do you know what they are, what they are used for and the general character of them and yes, they are attractive to people who think they need a powerful inherently dangerous dog for a status symbol and that's why they buy them, not to have snuggles on the lounge. So we have had 3 AM Bulldogs attack the jogger and now this one which is going well given they are still quite a rare breed. Who needs a dog to jump the fence and bite the kid next door :shrug:

It's true that professionals don't use American Bulldogs, call up the K9 squad and ask them and also ask them why they don't use breeds like that

It's a breed issue when certain breeds take a responsibility level above what the average owner can provide to keep their dog out of trouble and the community safe, massive difference in the level of control required between handling a people friendly Golden Retriever and an American Bulldog who wants to take everyone's head off. If you want a dog capable of defensive aggression, you need a breed and type of dog that is trainable in defence with the ability to cap drive.........these Bull breed mixtures are hard to train and control in aggression is the point I am making, likewise they are harder to rehabilitate so the uses of an aggressive dog in these breeds is limited.

That highlighted statement has to be the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read, you should start a mutual admiration group with Miranda Divine.

To be honest as the owner of a bull breed, I resent it and get defensive when people dump me and my boy in with the few aggressive dogs and useless owners that are out there and it is only a few.. Bull breeds are a very popular type of dog (both purebred and mixed breeds).

I own a bull breed mix - he was a pound mutt and I bought him when he was 6 months old.

He came first in his beginners obedience class and 3rd in his intermediate class. He is now doing advanced obedience and our instructor thinks he is amazing (so much for they can't be rehabilitated).

He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body and is non reactive to another dog if it is dominant or pushy - he simply moves away.

We have people approach us to socialise their dogs with him because of his nature.

He is not the only bull breed at the club with an amazing temperament - and that is just our club.

I have many friends and family with bull breed dogs and not one of them would fit your description of hard to train and control.

Again, it is not and never has been about breed or type of dog.

There are many more good bull breed type dogs (both of purebred and mixed breeds) than there are dangerous bull breed type dogs.

Are you for real? Any dog has the potential to be dangerous; thought I'd test your theory and this is the first article for GSD+bite+child in Google: My link

There are also articles for a JRT killing a 8 day old baby in the UK and a Pom killing a 6wk old in USA. Should we ban all fluffies too?