Boy, Dad Mauled In Dog Attack

Yonjuro

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a very long article so I won't quote it. But there is no restriction to read it.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/owners-bark-behind-their-dogs-bite-20130809-2rmvs.html

Thanks, korbin. Just the one. :thumbsup:

I hope it's not a one-off ... we need this kind of information being repeated, again & again, to the public.

There's some more things that could be added on.... like further spot-on US research & also info from medical sources.

Hope this is the beginning of information with a lot more substance.... than chasing dog breeds or sizes.

It is a very long article so I won't quote it. But there is no restriction to read it.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/owners-bark-behind-their-dogs-bite-20130809-2rmvs.html

I hope it's not a one-off ... we need this kind of information being repeated, again & again, to the public.

There's some more things that could be added on.... like further spot-on US research & also info from medical sources.

Hope this is the beginning of information with a lot more substance.... than chasing dog breeds or sizes.

Yeah, we all know that responsible management of those types of dogs will reduce attacks, but what they are missing is that you can't make pig hunters out of any dog, you can't make protection dogs out of any dog, a dog must have the genetic capabilities to either be trained to attack and fight or attack and fight instinctively and the point is, the same owners with dogs that don't have the genetic capabilities for unprovoked attacks, these horrific incidents wouldn't happen :banghead:

Yeah, we all know that responsible management of those types of dogs will reduce attacks, but what they are missing is that you can't make pig hunters out of any dog, you can't make protection dogs out of any dog, a dog must have the genetic capabilities to either be trained to attack and fight or attack and fight instinctively and the point is, the same owners with dogs that don't have the genetic capabilities for unprovoked attacks, these horrific incidents wouldn't happen :banghead:

You know, just because you repeat something over and over again doesn't make it true.

You could have saved yourself risking concussion if you'd read both the SMH article (with link provided by korbin) & what I said in telling about it.

The article sets out the interacting factors which shape a dog's behaviour....provided by the AVA. And that includes genes.

To reinforce that point, I wrote about the person who makes the decision about selection for breeding:

They (i.e.the SMH) have an excellent article pointing out owners (& the first owner who does the breeding) largely shape how dogs turn out.

You could have saved yourself risking concussion if you'd read both the SMH article (with link provided by korbin) & what I said in telling about it.

The article sets out the interacting factors which shape a dog's behaviour....provided by the AVA. And that includes genes.

To reinforce that point, I wrote about the person who makes the decision about selection for breeding:

They (i.e.the SMH) have an excellent article pointing out owners (& the first owner who does the breeding) largely shape how dogs turn out.

I read Korbin's link that I responded to?

You know, just because you repeat something over and over again doesn't make it true.

Sure Melz, so when you get a Labrador working in front line defence at the police K9 unit, then we will continue the discussion on genetic predisposition :D

Edited by Santo66

Sure Melz, so when you get a Labrador working in front line defence at the police K9 unit, then we will continue the discussion on genetic predisposition :D

And when you manage to reduce dog attacks by regulating dog breeds and breeding, we can continue the discussion on animal management.

1376125818[/url]' post='6273940']
1376108671[/url]' post='6273822']
1376103815[/url]' post='6273788']
1376102213[/url]' post='6273783']
1376101649[/url]' post='6273779']

http://www.smh.com.a...0809-2rmvs.html

It's interesting that Chessies are high on the list for number of attacks. Not a common breed. Gun dog. Not generally favored by yabos,

It's interesting that Chessies are high on the list for number of attacks. Not a common breed. Gun dog. Not generally favored by yabos,

Given that a Chessie is not a common breed and most wouldn't know what a Chessie is to nominate that breed does sound a bit strange :confused:

And when you manage to reduce dog attacks by regulating dog breeds and breeding, we can continue the discussion on animal management.

Too easy at the stroke of a pen........dog breeding is illegal without a licence, parents of crossbreeds must be temperament tested by a recognised entity. That will eliminate most of the shit breeding's to begin with. Aside from the Bull X breeds, these little fluffy crossbreeds out of the puppy farms, the one's that run on their sides on the retractor leash pent up with massive dog aggression need a tune up too as a lot of the breeding's on those a no good either. Remember Melz, the genetic predisposition must be in the dog in the first place for the environment to trigger it.........it's not the other way around.

Simply by actually enforcing the current laws and regulations will slow the production of unsuitable pets... but it will cost money to put the actual people out there to do so - so it's not likely to be considered. Spending money is apparently a bad thing as far as politicians are concerned... *sigh*

T.

Given that a Chessie is not a common breed and most wouldn't know what a Chessie is to nominate that breed does sound a bit strange :confused:

Too easy at the stroke of a pen........dog breeding is illegal without a licence, parents of crossbreeds must be temperament tested by a recognised entity. That will eliminate most of the shit breeding's to begin with. Aside from the Bull X breeds, these little fluffy crossbreeds out of the puppy farms, the one's that run on their sides on the retractor leash pent up with massive dog aggression need a tune up too as a lot of the breeding's on those a no good either. Remember Melz, the genetic predisposition must be in the dog in the first place for the environment to trigger it.........it's not the other way around.

Good luck finding the funding and man power to enforce it. Good luck dealing with the public outcry after euthanasia stats in the pounds skyrocket when we have to strt seizing dogs for non-compliace. Good luck trying to deal with all the illegal 'underground' backyard breeders breeding even worse quality dogs than before. Good luck dealing with a general public completely resenting and rebelling against uniform coming into their houses and taking their dogs.

You show a distinct lack of understanding of the enforcement side of things.

And yet we have a totally do-able model that funds itself that is proven to reduce dog attacks by astounding numbers, and you continue to ignore it and insist on focusing on breeds.

• 3 weeks later...

This follow up article gives a little more insight in to the way the dog was kept. Unsurprisingly, the dog was a 'resident' dog as opposed to a family dog, which is one of the biggest and most common factors in serious and fatal dog attacks.

"Dog put down after savage attack in Como"

Terrible that a man that relies on his hands so much will take another two years to recover fully.

This follow up article gives a little more insight in to the way the dog was kept. Unsurprisingly, the dog was a 'resident' dog as opposed to a family dog, which is one of the biggest and most common factors in serious and fatal dog attacks.

Terrible that a man that relies on his hands so much will take another two years to recover fully.

Must have been a tiny back yard as I would not call a Staffy a big dog. Shame the facts on how it lived don't come out until a month later, if ever. Hope the guy recovers quickly.

Must have been a tiny back yard as I would not call a Staffy a big dog. Shame the facts on how it lived don't come out until a month later, if ever. Hope the guy recovers quickly.

In this previous report the man described the dog as being 80kg. I'm sure it wasn't actually 80kg but it would have to have been a pretty big dog to be perceived to be that size. Certainly not a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

yes and we will never know what breed or how big the dog actually was.... just further damage to the reputation of AB, SBT and bull breeds in general I guess.....

Terrible thing to have happened all the same.

I am glad the victim spoke out about the dog's living conditions, he sounds like a kind, caring individual. I wonder if he will receive any community help since he said they are now struggling to make ends meet. I think the owner should have to pay some compensation to help undo some of the damage they did to this guy and his family. And a ban on owning dogs would not go astray either :(

Rangers seized the dog, believed to be an American bulldog, after the attack.

American Bulldogs again.........the Jogger now this one :eek:

There is no place in the community for these stupid breeds for people wanting a protective type of dog. There is nothing wrong with having a dog that offers some protective quality in fact a dog can be very effective to keep potential thieves and unwanted visitors away and help people sleep at night, but a good GSD or Rotty will achieve that nicely who are genetically safe unless provoked with a high degree of trainability......bloody Bulldogs, Mastiff's and crap like that used as protection dogs are mauling's waiting to happen......when individual dogs in these breeds have a high degree of social aggression, they are extremely hard to train and direct aggression in the right areas for the right reason which is the reason why professional's don't use these breeds in formal protection roles.

Blame the deed, not the breed.

Would have thought you might have learned something from being on this forum. Apparently not.