Atherton Dog Theft

Thanks Melzawelza, I can see where you are coming from now and I respect your knowledge on the subject.

It will be interesting to see what the outcomes of the meeting are and if it is confirmed that it is suspected the dogs are being stolen for such an activity.

Thanks Melzawelza, I can see where you are coming from now and I respect your knowledge on the subject.

It will be interesting to see what the outcomes of the meeting are and if it is confirmed that it is suspected the dogs are being stolen for such an activity.

No worries :) I'd also be interested to hear an update on what actually is said at the meeting and any other history on the situation in Atherton.

Its no use quoting what "professional" dog fighting rings do - either here or overseas - to disprove that idiots are stealing dogs for fighting purposes here. Whether they are "professionals" or not doesn't change the probability that dogs are being stolen for dog fighting purposes in this country.

Note the comments from the RSPCA in this article regarding the "depth of the organised crime".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/family-pets-feared-lost-to-dog-fighting/story-fn8m0u8i-1226591049631

Edited by Rosetta

I think that many people that own bull breeds bother to learn their history. It isn't pretty. Brilliant dogs that are the best at what they do. Seeing those that only have a passing interest in bull breeds (usually a critical one) crapping on about bait dogs and stolen dogs just makes me disappointed. No one wants to test their APBT against your SWF or your Husky or your Rotty. It makes no sense. It doesn't do anything for a dogfighter. They roll the younger dogs that they BREED with other dogs they own.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that the power of stupid gullible people in large groups should not be underestimated.

Fixed that for you.

Back to the OP..

For what it's worth, the same sort of thing came up in the Northern suburbs of Launceston. The RSPCA and police investigated and found absolutely no evidence, just a lot of "heard it from my uncle's neighbour's mother's friend's mechanic so it must be true" variety of hearsay. Add in some Facebook (because nothing makes a population stupider than FB) and you have a similar sort of community panic that is based on literally zero evidence and a heap of assumption.

I've seen several cases recently where people claimed their dogs had been stolen for fighting. When said dogs were found wandering locally, the story didn't change- they just claimed that their dog had somehow escaped the dogfighters because it was distressed when they found it (a week or so without food and familiar surroundings will distress most creatures but nevermind the logic, there's drama to be had).

We did have an unfortunate meeting with one individual who was talking about an organised dog fight on the outskirts of Yass. Apparently it moves from farm to farm and they only know about it a few days before it is going to happen.. It is organised but it is just those that want to test their own dogs against others.. Apparently!

We did tell the local police what this moron had told us at the time.. That is going back at least five or six years ago now.

One of the things that I can't stand is every time there is a missing dog posted on Facebook, heaps of people post that they hope it hasn't been taken for fighting.. As if the owner isn't distressed enough about their missing pet!

Its no use quoting what "professional" dog fighting rings do - either here or overseas - to disprove that idiots are stealing dogs for fighting purposes here. Whether they are "professionals" or not doesn't change the probability that dogs are being stolen for dog fighting purposes in this country.

Note the comments from the RSPCA in this article regarding the "depth of the organised crime".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/family-pets-feared-lost-to-dog-fighting/story-fn8m0u8i-1226591049631

Rosetta, I'm glad you posted this quote from RSPCA Qld. Whenever asked about dog fighting, they've said much the same thing. Both they & the police in Qld have strong suspicions about the presence of dog fighting rings in the state. And they add how hard it is to gather evidence & prosecute .... given that they must find the organised fighting in progress. Otherwise, it's not a crime to 'own' a dog. Also it'd not be an activity which requires a specific location with specific equipment. Making it not particularly visible ... especially in less urban settings.

From News.com, June 13, 2013:

But RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty says his investigators and police know there are dog fighting rings in Queensland and other states.

"However, we just have no concrete evidence to prove that," Mr Beatty says.

Mr Beatty says the RSPCA has mounted cases against suspected fighting ring operators in the past, but they've been thrown out of court due to lack of evidence.

Investigators need to gather video evidence or catch those taking part in the act red-handed, he says.

The article refers to a named Brisbane pet owner who claims he tackled a person in the act of stealing his Dalmatian. He said the person admitted taking the dog to serve as 'bait' for fighting -dog training.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/pet-lovers-unite-to-stop-fighting-rings/story-e6frfku9-1226667547626

This pet owner has started a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/qlddogtheft

Edited by mita