Tick Prevention Question

Hi, I have been researching tick prevention as I have a long haired dog.

I also have 4 children and 2 cats and dislike the spot on treatments due to this. My cat had a serious reaction too a spot on and now has program and capstar.

However, this is not for dogs.

Is there anything orally or injection wise about for dogs? I can only find proban in vet n pet direct, but its not avaliable?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I use a combined tick and flea tablet from Comfortis, it's once a month and I have had great results

Comfortis is for fleas only. It is not a combined product. There have been several published studies on the efficacy of Spinosad (active ingredient in Comfortis) against a specific genus of cattle tick but it is nowhere close to claiming spinosad as a tick prevention product for dogs.

I use a combined tick and flea tablet from Comfortis, it's once a month and I have had great results

Comfortis is for fleas only. It is not a combined product. There have been several published studies on the efficacy of Spinosad (active ingredient in Comfortis) against a specific genus of cattle tick but it is nowhere close to claiming spinosad as a tick prevention product for dogs.

All I know is the box says tick and flea and she hasn't had seed ticks since

All I know is the box says tick and flea and she hasn't had seed ticks since

You say it is from Comfortis...is it called "Comfortis" or has another name?? Overseas they have been experimenting with using spinosad for ticks, but I believe the dosage is three times what is in Comfortis.