Toilet Training Regression

I'm currently struggling with my 5 year old Maltese and some toileting regression - she has started weeing and sometimes pooing inside the house during the day (when we are at work).

Prior to the last 3 months she was on a routine of wee/poo in the morning, nothing inside whilst we are at work, then wee/poo outside in the afternoon/evening. We very rarely had accidents if we were late coming home or if she was unwell. She was very predictable and well trained.

About 2-3 months ago I changed her food from Canidae Grain free to Artemis Osopure. I am also pregnant (currently 32 weeks).

At this stage she is toileting inside everyday (besides weekends when we are around to let her out) - even if I come home at lunch she has generally done a wee inside and desperately needs to do a poo. I think the amount of wee and poo she is needing to do has increased hugely. Even the size of her poos is much larger.

My first thought of the culprit was her diet since the change in her toileting roughly coincided with when her diet changed. I'm in the process of changing her diet back to Canidae (hopefully this fixes it). The other possibility is that she is reacting to my hormonal changes in late pregnancy.

Does anyone have any insight into this situation and/or tips to deal with it? I did think of putting down puppy training pads (she does know how to use them since she used to be trained to go on them as a puppy) but my husband thinks this will encourage her to go inside. I clean the area she goes with an enzyme based cleaner, the floors are wooden however so I suspect there maybe some urine in the cracks between floorboards (i've tried steam cleaning the floorboards as well). I have tried coming home at lunch but generally she has already gone inside and whilst I will go on maternity leave in a few weeks so can let her out more regularly it's not a long term solution. I don't think a doggy door is an option as the neighbours dogs and her would bark at each other all day (and the cat would likely figure out how to escape the house - he is indoor only).

What do people think is the diet the likely culprit -has anyone had issues with this food? Or my hormones? or is a vet visit in order?

I don't blame her - if anyone has sympathy for a weak bladder or constant need to pee it's a late-term pregnant woman - but I wish to figure out why she is doing it and fix the issue.

If changing her food back doesn't fix the problem I would be getting a full vet check done on her. Regression of toilet training can be from many ailments including neurological ones. Also take careful notice to see if her behaviour has changed in any other way, even seemingly insignificant things when added up can point to a problem.

If changing her food back doesn't fix the problem I would be getting a full vet check done on her. Regression of toilet training can be from many ailments including neurological ones. Also take careful notice to see if her behaviour has changed in any other way, even seemingly insignificant things when added up can point to a problem.

Thanks dancinbcs - she has been acting abit funny which I have put down to her reacting to my pregnancy. She is quite clingy towards me, is acting weird around my husband (shakes randomly and acts scared of him sometimes for no apparent reason) and is doing some odd behavioural things like taking 3-4 false jumps before jumping on the sofa i.e. she walks as far away from the sofa as she can then inches forwards, then stands on her back legs, then backs up again etc before finally jumping up on the sofa like normal... It's very odd to watch, I'll try to video it :)

I'll see about a vet visit if the food doesn't fix it and if she doesn't "normalise" once the baby is here.

I think a doggie door would be a good idea. I have doggie doors, several dogs and a neighbour's dog who likes to bark at the fence at them.

However, I have checked with neighbours - my dogs don't bark during the day. My neighbour's dog is out in his yard and he's quite noisy.

My dogs are able to go in and out to toilet at will and don't bark at the neighbour's dog while they are doing their business - luckily.

Sounds like it could be the food but it's also a long time to be leaving her locked up.

My dogs like to go out and lie in the sun!

I have had dogs regress - diet also plays a part. Putting down wee pads near the door does help - it doesn't make them go more, sorry but your husband is wrong.

I rescued a 14 year old dog who'd never been inside a house. I housetrained her but she could never get the doggie door so I put pads near the door and that's where she went until she died. She would have accidents elsewhere in the house when I was at work, not when I was at home to let her out - usually not far from the door - but with the paper down, that's what she went on.

Edited by dogmad

Thanks dancinbcs - she has been acting abit funny which I have put down to her reacting to my pregnancy. She is quite clingy towards me, is acting weird around my husband (shakes randomly and acts scared of him sometimes for no apparent reason) and is doing some odd behavioural things like taking 3-4 false jumps before jumping on the sofa i.e. she walks as far away from the sofa as she can then inches forwards, then stands on her back legs, then backs up again etc before finally jumping up on the sofa like normal... It's very odd to watch, I'll try to video it :)

I'll see about a vet visit if the food doesn't fix it and if she doesn't "normalise" once the baby is here.

That doesn't sound good. I don't want to panic you and there may be other explanations but one of mine was having the same problem jumping in the car as if she couldn't work out exactly where the edge was, she started reacting more to noises like fireworks, etc that had never worried her before, became more affectionate. Just odd things I put down to her age. She turned out to have a brain tumour secondary to lung cancer. I think I would get a full vet check done on your girl asap including checking for any neuro signs. If she does have a neuro problem you need to know before the baby arrives. Dogs with neuro problems can be very unpredictable and potentially dangerous. I know this also from experience after being badly attacked by a dog of mine that had brain damage caused by meningitis. He had no idea he had done it at the time.

That doesn't sound good. I don't want to panic you and there may be other explanations but one of mine was having the same problem jumping in the car as if she couldn't work out exactly where the edge was, she started reacting more to noises like fireworks, etc that had never worried her before, became more affectionate. Just odd things I put down to her age. She turned out to have a brain tumour secondary to lung cancer. I think I would get a full vet check done on your girl asap including checking for any neuro signs. If she does have a neuro problem you need to know before the baby arrives. Dogs with neuro problems can be very unpredictable and potentially dangerous. I know this also from experience after being badly attacked by a dog of mine that had brain damage caused by meningitis. He had no idea he had done it at the time.

She only does it occasionally - not every day or even every week. She had a check up a few months ago (dental and blood test), everything came back normal, even her ALT levels which had been slightly elevated previously (i.e. 6mths-18 mths). However, yes I do think she needs to be checked out by a vet - I'll organise it before baby comes. A normal vet should be able to deal with this - correct? What sorts of tests are they likely to run? What should I ask them to do exactly?

I agree putting pee pads down will not make her go more often - I told Hubby that but he doesn't believe me :eek: I put one down for her yesterday and she used it (but it ran off the side and then under the pad). This will be an option until we figure out what is going on!

Thanks for the advice/help guys!

Put either newspaper or towel under the pee pad - don't want run off!! She might be holding on until she really needs to go but it's great that she went on the pee pad.

Just clean up any run off etc with white vinegar and water mixture.

Thanks for the tip! I was using an enzyme cleaner which seems to work okay. I'll also give it a good steam clean on the weekend :)

Yesterday afternoon she hadn't done anything inside (even on the pee pad) but she went straight outside :D She's a very good girl :heart:

I'd be having her checked skeletally. The "odd behaviour" at jumping to the couch struck me as a dog who is in pain and when she's not (or is less so) anticipates it. This can affect elimination schedules and routines.

Just my guess and food for thought.