Anyone Have A Dog Ramp?

kelpiecuddles

Just wondering how heavy and bulky they are? I'm considering getting one to get the bassets in to the car. Right now I'm making do as Josie is a smaller basset at about 24kg but it can be a struggle if she's excited and wriggly and it would be easier for me if I could just walk her up a ramp but if the ramps going to take up a lot of space or is just as heavy as the dog it kind of defeats the purpose! I'm looking at two second hand at the moment, one which folds in half and the other where one half slides inside the other half.

We have one Kelpiecuddles, it is not as heavy as the dog and is easy to use. It is one of the plastic folding ones and has a non slip surface. It folds up behind the back seat and it is very sturdy despite being light weight. It is great for our girl who has bad hips - but the boy won't use it without a lot of fuss despite lots of practice,enticing and treats, so mixed reaction here. Can anyone lend you one to try?

I was using one for my girls that a friend loaned me - old Cattle and Keeshond crosses, they were a bit too heavy for me to get into the car but I found it was affecting my arthritic wrists, it was just too heavy for me to fold down/up etc so had to go back to picking them up which was bad for my back .... I've lost both girls now and can only have dogs that are under 6 kilos so won't need a ramp again .. The ramp was very sturdy and DOL member Juice tried it and found it was great.

I have one of the fold up plastic ones, very light, while still sturdy. I got it from Sams Warehouse.

My old boy refused to use it. But now it is coming in handy stopping my pup from jumping down stairs.

I bought one off Ebay for my old dog who was just too heavy to pick up and couldnt jump down either as his legs would give way. Mine is aluminium, weight is about 6-7kgs, and it sits neatly across the back of the storage area in the captiva. Love it, although I made it a bit heavier by screwing rubber mats onto it as I found the surface just wasnt grippy enough for the old dog. My only complaint is that it rattles, so I just pack it with towels to stop that.

We've sold the Kramar brand one, it's one that slides into itself. It was fairly lightweight considering the weight it can hold (one of the ladies that bought it stipulated that it had to be light)

She had her big GSD use it, and they're also used for labs. We sold them for $250 but you can probably get it cheaper off the net where they don't have rent to pay lol.

--> obviously this one isn't much cheaper but this is the ramp http://store.cityfarmers.com.au/kramar-extendable-pet-ramp.html

The Karamar one was the one I was going to get. It is telescopic as Dot has said so it folds into itself & is light weight. Also agree online would be a cheaper option.

I ended buying a small station wagon for myself to get around in instead & both dogs can jump into without any drama's. If for some reason I had to lift one of them I can

as it isn't very high of the ground. The OH has the 4x4 land cruiser now as it was too difficult for me too manage with the dogs etc. I have hand / lower arm impairment so

not able to do most things easily unfortunately.

I would be interested too in the makes of lightweight ones people have.

The one I borrowed from Dogmad was very good, but heavy, I already have a wagon, but my dally keeps trying to jump into the back and his hips give way and he falls to the ground, so I really need one, he is too impatient and tries to leap in as I open the boot.

Plus my lazy bully just stands in the boot waiting for someone to lift her out, and she is like a solid keg! :laugh:

We've always used an upturned reycling crate as a step which worked pretty well but we have a ute to put it in (dogs in back of dual cab),

I've been eyeing off these rollup ones from ramp4paws though .. never seen one in australia.

The big one is fairly heavy (15.75lbs).

cleanrun have them too.

Ramp4Paws 18-Link Dog Ramp

Edited by dwynwen

Thanks guys, I'll keep up the research, there is a Sam's Warehouse about 40 minutes from here so might head down that way on Sunday and see if they still stock them.

The kelpie jumps up and down fine but with her shape of course it's not good for the basset to be jumping up and down from the back of an SUV.