Which Dslr To Choose?

Poodle Mum

Hi all...this topic may have been done before......

I dropped my beloved Nikon D40 & thought only the lens was stuffed, after a visit to camera house yesterday....its the body as well.

The assistant asked had I made a claim on my home & contents insurance :idea: ....didnt even think about that!!....but yes I can :happydance2:

So....I will be looking at replacing the camera. I have $500 excess to pay. I have looked at Nikon D3200, D5100 she mentioned D5200 (which I haven't seen yet) as well as a Sony A58.

Am looking at value up to $1000-1200

Any thoughts anyone. Thanks

D5200 is just the newer version of the D5100. I would get as good as you can afford. Kogan is cheaper because it's grey. So it depends on whether you want an Australia warranty or not.

I buy from Camera Pro.

http://www.camerapro.com.au/nikon-d3200-black-body-only-australian-stock-strictly-limited-time.html

http://www.camerapro.com.au/nikon-d5200-black-body-only-digital-slr-camera-australian-stock.html

Thanks guys so much for the replies!....wow that is so much cheaper Huga.

Camera House is sending out a letter to say my camera was not economical to be repaired......I wonder if I will have to purchase with them?, since insurance job?

If the claim is through your insurance company then what will probably happen is, they will ask you to prove the cost of the item (recipe from camera house if you bought it from there) then they will pay you the difference of that amount minus your excess, its unlikely they will physically replace the item.

I think it depends on the insurance company. We have had a situation where we were basically given a store credit to go and use, and it didn't have to be for the same item. On another occasion we were just sent a cheque to do with as we pleased and no proof of replacement was required.

Like Huga said - get the best you can afford. And if you have other Nikon equipment then I would stick with that. Unless of course you had been considering changing brands in which case it would be a good time to do it.

I have recently purchased a lens from this place http://www.camerastore.com.au/digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d/nikon-d5200-body-only-black.html They are an online arm of an Adelaide based camera store (Diamonds) but much cheaper than the store. Full Australian warranties. The service was brilliant, the lens had been on back order so they called me when it came in to confirm everything and check if I wanted it delivered anywhere else eg work. It was 4:30pm when I was able to call them back and they managed to get it to a courier that afternoon to be delivered before lunchtime the next day.

• 1 month later...

So angry & Commonwealth Bank insurance....... :mad

I rang today as typically I had heard nothing about the processing of my claim. I provided a quote. Was put on hold for 15mins whislt she rang her supplier. Tells me that my camera is no longer available.....yep, know that...idot! and that the equivalent to mine is on sale this week!!....for $499. she says laughing!!! :mad

Guess what my excess is......$500. So they will not proceed with my claim. I complained that they have had this for nearly a month.....but that got me no where!!!

:mad :mad

Sorry...........needed to vent.

Now I am back to square one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to take the plunge and buy online!!!

I bought Nikon d3200 with 2 lens and it was half the retail of a camera with only a single lens in a retail store!!

It's great. I feel better with a camera again!

Forgot to add....I bought it from kogan

Edited by Poodle Mum