Dog Left To Die In Agony

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/08/08/370592_news.html

Dog left to die in agony

HORRIFIED animal welfare officers are at a loss to explain why someone would starve a dog before locking it in an abandoned shed to die in agony.Newcomb demolition worker Michael Moroney was left shaken and upset after he found the dog. He'd been called to the Shepherdson Ave, Corio, address early yesterday to remove asbestos.A dog owner himself, he recalled finding the wincing dog cowering in the concrete corner of a tin shed at a derelict home, unable to even stand.``I would like to get my hands on the person who did this.  It's just disgusting,'' he said. ``There was no way the dog could have ever got out itself. There was no food or water left there.``I was there removing asbestos when I went up to the back tin shed, but never imagined I'd find this.``The dog was too sick to even drink water. It was horrific.''Mr Moroney said he immediately called his wife who rushed to the scene and drove the emaciated animal to the Geelong Animal Welfare Society in Moolap.Shelter executive director Belinda Russo said the dog with no name or microchip was in critical care and would undergo blood transfusions and half-hourly feeds in an attempt to save her life.She said the dog was so emaciated, anaemic and riddled with fleas that its body had consumed all its  body fat to keep it alive.``If you cannot look after your pets bring them into us,'' Ms Russo said. ``That's what animal shelters are here for,  to look after animals. We will do everything we can to save this little girl.``We owe it to her.``It'll take at least three months to rehabilitate her she's that bad.``Her blood pressure was so low it took us five hours before we could get a catheter in.''RSPCA inspector Hugh Robinson blasted those responsible for the act of cruelty.He said staff were fed up with having to investigate needless animal cruelty cases that could so easily be avoided.He pleaded with the public to report similar cases and not let situations get so bad.Mr Robinson said the dog, weighing just 10kg, was less than half its recommended body weight.``We have no idea how the dog got there but it's a possibility it has purposely been dumped there as the property has been vacant since last October after being set on fire,'' he said.``She's just so weak _  a bag of bones with no energy at all.``She's been starved for a fairly long time as it takes weeks and weeks to get like that. She's up there with one of the skinniest we've ever seen _  it's bloody disgusting.``We wonder what the hell people are thinking to let this happen. It's obvious how bad this is.''GAWS operations manager Nadine Dixon said words could barely describe how staff felt.``How could someone leave her there and just forget about her?'' Ms Dixon said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...