Looking For A Chi In Foster Care

We are looking for a chi for my mum here in canberra, we prefer already in foster care due to hopefully already knowing the nature of the dog in a 'normal home environment' but will consider others. We dont mind male or female and age is not a factor as long as its not say over 4, as she has already lost her two dogs recently, they were both 16, so doesnt want to go through that again anytime soon pref. The dog needs to be good with kids i have a 3yo and 16month old and pref good with other dogs. She would prefer a blk and tan or dark coloured dog. It will be an only dog in her home but when she comes over to look after my kids which is usually a couple of times a week she will be bringing her dog with her. I have 3 med size dogs which are good with other dogs and used to fosters coming and going.

Eleni - most Chihuahuas are not good with young children, it's just a thing with the breed.

Probably best to leave the Chi at home, especially as you have larger dogs - they don't typically enjoy that scenario either.

Would she consider a cross Chi perhaps? I have had a few and depending on what they are crossed with, they can be a bit easier than the purebreds.

Edited by dogmad

Eleni - most Chihuahuas are not good with young children, it's just a thing with the breed.

Probably best to leave the Chi at home, especially as you have larger dogs - they don't typically enjoy that scenario either.

Would she consider a cross Chi perhaps? I have had a few and depending on what they are crossed with, they can be a bit easier than the purebreds.

As Chi's are my great love I have to agree with Dogmad, unless they have grown up with kids from when the kids are born, they just don't like them and will snap if the kids do what small kids do, most people don't know that Chi's prefer their own kind and are not as a rule happy with bigger dogs. There are of course exceptions to that rule.

I have a Chi cross in care at the moment but as said she would not be good around kids, I also have a pure bred girl around 4 years old but she loves to play so needs another dog for company, she is tan and white, can I ask why your mum prefers a black/white or dark colour?

Maree

CPR

sorry when i say chi i do understand that most of the time in rescue they are a cross so that is fine to be a cross

we understand that most chi's like a lot of small dogs are not good with kids and esp larger dogs, mum has had this breed for 40 yrs so knows about them. we do understand that it is a narrow field being good with kids and dogs but we know they are out there somewhere!! My kids are pretty good and they dont attempt to pick up small dogs they have grown up with dogs and small ones and i do keep a tight leash on them when it comes to dogs as being a dog person and foster carer myself i have seen the good and the bad. also why looking at a short hair one too

The reason she wanted to bring it with her was purely she didnt feel right leaving it behind for so many hours when she is here, she has always had at least 2 dogs so they have always had the company, hence why she wanted to bring it with her. Also on the od occasion this happens once a year, she goes away and cant take the dog with her and rest of the family is overseas the dog would come to me for this time. My dogs initially want to say hello like any dog but then tend to ignore and leave them alone, so as long as the dog didnt have a desire to constantly want to kill the other dog (lol) it is fine.

mum prefers a darker colour as before she had one and a light cream coloured one long haired and its a simple thing of the cream colored dog you could notice the hair alot more around the house as oppose to the darker one thats it really

Edited by Eleni

mum prefers a darker colour as before she had one and a light cream coloured one long haired and its a simple thing of the cream colored dog you could notice the hair alot more around the house as oppose to the darker one thats it really

I chose a black Pug over a fawn for this reason too. If there is a choice why not make it one that makes your life easier! :thumbsup:

I chose a black Pug over a fawn for this reason too. If there is a choice why not make it one that makes your life easier! :thumbsup:

Plus the whole thing of blacks being such so much more awesome :p

Are you sure she doesn't want a Rottweiler? THere is a lovely one at DAS - she's dark too so the hair won't show :D

Hehehehee

:rofl: :rofl: perhaps she wont know the difference we shall tell her its a chi