107 Dogs Into Care From A Puppy Farm In Queensland

I have not been involved with this group, but to take that many dogs in such a short space of time is nothing short of a miracle, just to get carers alone. They have so far racked up over $28,000 in vet bills, with I suspect more to come. If anyone has anything spare or can assist with taking a little fluffy or 2, the article link is below. There are still a large number of dogs at the farm so I suspect more will need to come into care. :thumbsup:

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/puppy-rescue-animal-rescue-qld/1976438/

Edited by Loreley

I believe the puppy farm is in an area covered by DPI so I don't believe RSPCA is involved at this time.

Edited by Ams

from the way the story is written, the breeder is cooperating whether they have been pushed to cooperate is another story. Either way there are still another 100 undesexed dogs left on the property so the numbers could easily go back to what they were in no time. You need to ask how many times can the Rescue community absorb these sorts of numbers (and this is only one puppy farm) without busting at the seams, and that is on top of quite a busy year this year as well.

I'm not sure whether they actually have fosters for all the dogs either, if you read between the lines I suspect that they are seriously stretched and not only financially, so if you have room to fit in a fluffy it might be worth seeing if they need to offload a few :thumbsup:

from the way the story is written, the breeder is cooperating whether they have been pushed to cooperate is another story. Either way there are still another 100 undesexed dogs left on the property so the numbers could easily go back to what they were in no time. You need to ask how many times can the Rescue community absorb these sorts of numbers (and this is only one puppy farm) without busting at the seams, and that is on top of quite a busy year this year as well.

On a smaller scale, an honest & reliable rescue I know of in a country area, has managed to persuade a puppy farmer to pass over some small dogs.

With our present laws, there's nothing that stops large-scale puppy farming per se. It fits with 'primary industry'.

Only when conditions are horrendous, do the animal cruelty laws kick in... with the authorities then able to intervene.

I agree with you that these large-scale puppy farms are pouring out puppies & dogs, to be mopped up by someone else.

The issue is the operation of puppy farming. No laws address it or regulate it.

They claim to be breeding companion dogs in those large-scale, commercial places. But recent US research showed that their puppies went on to have more health & behaviour problems, than dogs bred in small scale, home-style non-commercial settings.

So they're not only poor places for dogs, they're also a poor source for pet dogs. The public needs to know this.... so consumers can vote with their feet.

Edited by mita

On a smaller scale, an honest & reliable rescue I know of in a country area, has managed to persuade a puppy farmer to pass over some small dogs.

With our present laws, there's nothing that stops large-scale puppy farming per se. It fits with 'primary industry'.

Only when conditions are horrendous, do the animal cruelty laws kick in... with the authorities then able to intervene.

I agree with you that these large-scale puppy farms are pouring out puppies & dogs, to be mopped up by someone else.

The issue is the operation of puppy farming. No laws address it or regulate it.

They claim to be breeding companion dogs in those large-scale, commercial places. But recent US research showed that their puppies went on to have more health & behaviour problems, than dogs bred in small scale, home-style non-commercial settings.

So they're not only poor places for dogs, they're also a poor source for pet dogs. The public needs to know this.... so consumers can vote with their feet.

Wholeheartedly agree, the problem is people see 'this poor one puppy' in the window, even knowing that its from a puppy mill and think that they are saving it, which is correct technically but also perpetuating the problem for the next generation of pups.

It states they are working with the council. Has the council supported the removal of the dogs financially? If not, then they should. The council is saving a lot of money by allowing a private organisation to clean up something they are ultimately responsible for.