Snake Season Again

tikira

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN ADVICE HERE

What I am going to say now will probably worry people, and I truely don't mean to scare anyone, but as much forewarning as possible may just help to save you from the grief I am still feeling. We lost Tip, our Jack Russell to snakebite in March.

Some random advice to all dog owners is:

Read as much as you can about snake habits and habitats and act accordingly to discourage them.

They do like spots to shelter, water and a food source (mice/frogs etc, so think about that. Clean everything you can from your yard. I don't have any water in the yard at all, we have only two pine trees in the dog yard, canopies starting at 5 feet high,the yard is fenced with close fitting palings sitting on a bed of cement. The lawn is kept very short. We live out of town on 5 acres, and slash around the dogs paling fence as well. We are in Armidale NSW and we have a high snake population around us.

I have heard if a pencil can fit through a gap, so can a snake.

We actually have a small area fenced off around the dog door that we can close off, so we can easily check that for snakes before letting them out to toilet if I feel there is any threat (Tip would start to sniff the fenceline and scratch at it.

Get to know your dogs bark pitch- a "snake bark" is often very different (it was with Tip). His whole body language would change when he sensed a threat.

Read up on the symptoms of snakebite, and don't hesitate if you feel something is wrong, time matters- and if the worst happens, it helps to know the species of snake (it was the first thing the vet asked), and please don't try to get in between the snake and and the dog, or call him off, they can lose concentration and it puts everyone in more danger.

Have your vet number and emergency vet numbers in a prominent place.

Not all dogs go after snakes, my border Collie and our nephew's dog have never attempted to attack a snake, yet (touch wood)I do accept that was because Tip found the threat first, though.

However, please try not to worry too much,snakes really do not appear that often (Tip had lived for nine years and I now feel from looking at photo's that his eyesight may have clouded a little since his last checkup without us noticing). Just arm yourself with the facts, and invest in a snake bandage (for human use) and learn how to use it correctly , (they really do save lives)

Forewarned is forearmed, and good luck to everyone during the snake season.

I know I have scared a lot of people reading this, as we had done all this and it still happened to us. It was a freak thing, Tip made no sound that day, the other dogs did not leave my side to investigate. Nature can be cruel and it was no-one's fault. I just hope and pray that my advice, and that of others may help to avert a similar tragedy.

Regards Di

So sorry about Tip. :(

Simple tips to add, keep your property well mowed and whipper snipped to reduce snake habitat and movement corridors. Avoid having ponds or dams in the same yard as dogs wherever possible and raise dog's drinking water as much as is practicable.

Big Bluetongues are fantastic snake deterrents when in territorial residence or living near the edges of your property. Keep them safe from dogs as much as possible, especially in early spring when they are cold, slow and sluggish and more prone to dog attack injury or death.

Blacksnakes are also a great deterrent to much more dangerous snakes like Browns, Tigers etc. Obviously people don't like snakes near their houses, but for those on bigger acreages etc, if you see big blacksnakes out there try to leave them be.

Terriers are possibly most inclined to engage with a snake. Keep a close eye on them in snake season.

Sprinkler systems and hoses can be surprising good snake removal devices as well. If a snake is in your yard, moving around or sunning itself, it won't appreciate a cold shower and will move off quickly. Saves people from having to come into dangerously close proximity as well.

And please don't forget that over 97% of snakebites in humans occur when the person is trying to kill the snake. Try not to to get that close as snakes move quicker than we do and within strikerange is not a good place for us to put ourselves!

Edited by Alyosha

So sorry about Tip. Our property is the only place for miles during summer where water is available so they come in for the water we use for the lavender and herb farm and of course the dog water bowls and the sheep water troughs - last year the Maremmas killed four brown snakes in our house yard. We have done all we can to ensure the place is cleared and everything is up off the ground that is able to be elevated etc. We are just putting in solar snake repellers - don't know if they will work but I figure worth a try.

Very sorry to hear of Tip :( R.I.P

So many different ideas get floated around good and bad .

I have witnessed Browns with Blacks and with Bluetongues here in next doors yard

and out the back bushland of our homes so I really think it is old wives tales that they keep away from each other . :confused:

another thing I was told

Snakes use the same paths in there 4 k's of roaming , creature of habit I think.

they also can get really flat a friend had a brown under their porch the hole

it came out of was sooo tiny that it totally freaked him out.

so yep short grass, no water, nothing they can hide under .

Really wish we had Moongoose in aust

Blacksnakes are also a great deterrent to much more dangerous snakes like Browns, Tigers etc. Obviously people don't like snakes near their houses, but for those on bigger acreages etc, if you see big blacksnakes out there try to leave them be.

Do you mean red belly blacks? I have one here, very close to the house, but also have copperheads. I did have a lovely big bluey but he is no longer around :(

Move to Ireland ?

Seriously .

The best things are to leave absolutely nothing a snake can use to live/hide in/under.

Impossible :(

if you have chooks/aviary birds ... feed only what they can eat ..or have procedures in place to keep rodents away /kill them. Snakes are attracted by mice/rats

Do not leave dog/cat food out for ad-lib feeding, either .

if it is feasible , get a few free range guinea fowl :) They will eat young snakes, and mice , and alert you to anything strange ...

always remember to LOOK UP ! Most snakes can and do ascend trees/building structures/trellises etc ...and believe me , suddenly finding oneself eye-to eye with a venomous snake is NOT pleasant :(

We are just putting in solar snake repellers - don't know if they will work but I figure worth a try.

We have six of them and can show you pics of snakes sunning themselves next to most of them.

We have a large garden at my front door and the browns and blacks live together there. Only a metre from my doorstep.

Guest hankodie

Question: I've found a baby snake in my front yard now twice in a row since moving into our house 10 months ago. Does this mean that there are bound to be bigger ones around my house? I've heard conflicting things about this.

I am not in a particularly bushy area and it's rare anybody sees a snake out in the open here (I've asked). Both times the baby snakes were found under a spiky bush that we have since pulled out. We did 5+ hours of gardening work so the front yard is pretty bare now and we are putting up better fences in the next couple of weeks. The yards were a mess when we moved in.

I am a little freaked out, especially as I grew up overseas and am not used to dealing with the poisonous wildlife in Australia! (and of course I worry about my dogs) :cry:

If you have mice, the snakes will come so put some traps about or get a good mousing cat. I also make as much sound as possible and stomp heavily when Im walking through snake terrain, they scare pretty easily.

Question: I've found a baby snake in my front yard now twice in a row since moving into our house 10 months ago.

Are you sure it was a baby snake? When we first moved into our house I found a small 'earless skink' indoors that freaked me out until I looked closer! I have since seen them a few times when gardening. They have tiny little legs that can be hard to spot sometime :)

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1117&bih=630&q=earless+skink&oq=earless+skink&gs_l=img.3...3800.9498.0.10369.13.9.0.4.4.0.241.2007.2-9.9.0....0...1ac.1.24.img..4.9.2004.lemmMLnb32U

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/field-herping-reptile-studies-5373/photo-guide-australian-lizards-pt3-113111/

There are some small snakes around ... and legless lizards ..... it may not be a baby venomous snake .....

but obviously if there are babies, there needs to be adults ;)

have a read here , it might be of help ?

LINK

or you might be able to use this page .

LINK

legless lizards are cool ... :) I love 'em!!

LINK to lots of LL images :)

Guest hankodie

Question: I've found a baby snake in my front yard now twice in a row since moving into our house 10 months ago.

Are you sure it was a baby snake? When we first moved into our house I found a small 'earless skink' indoors that freaked me out until I looked closer! I have since seen them a few times when gardening. They have tiny little legs that can be hard to spot sometime :)

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1117&bih=630&q=earless+skink&oq=earless+skink&gs_l=img.3...3800.9498.0.10369.13.9.0.4.4.0.241.2007.2-9.9.0....0...1ac.1.24.img..4.9.2004.lemmMLnb32U

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/field-herping-reptile-studies-5373/photo-guide-australian-lizards-pt3-113111/

When I say "I" I really mean my husband has come across across them while we were both out in the yard - both times I didn't get a good chance to look at them as I took off running down the street! :o My husband is pretty sure they were baby snakes, I took his word for it as he's been in Australia much longer than I have! Could very well be skinks though that is a good point :)

Aliwake I called the snake conservatory place (I forgotten what it's called) and asked about it, they said that the mothers usually leave the babies behind but that's not saying much, they could be next door! The lady on the phone also said (upon hearing my accent) "you're in Australia now love, get used to the snakes because they're everywhere" :eek:

Some very good advice here already and I'm sorry for your loss of Tip.

I'll add a plea to please, please do not use netting on your fence lines to trap them, this also endangers lizards and birds and gives them a long and terrified death. Nothing deserves that. Any caught snakes will also be very aggravated and far more dangerous if encountered.

If you're on facebook look up "Snake Catcher Victoria Australia" he has a lot of good advice to share.

I always have a bottle of Vit C injectable fresh every year in the fridge. Some say it doesn't work but I personally know someone who swears by it for their bird dogs and when you're 150ks from a Vet. anything is worth a try. Google - "Pat Coleby. Gundogs, snakebite and Vit C". All the years I've had dogs I've been able to teach them to not touch snakes, lizards etc but the Min I have now just wants to kill so keeping my fingers crossed.

I know in America they do snake aversion training with electric pulse collars to keep dogs away from Rattlesnakes. I am totally against their use in general training, but I guess a few pulses in snake aversion training is preferable to death by snake bite?? The dogs think the shock is coming from the snake and hence learn to give them a wide berth. I've not personally known anyone who has tried this, someone else may have a better idea if it actually works?? You obviously need to have access to non-venomous snakes to use in training, so I'm not sure how you go about that......

Mine have always been taught on blue tongues. They hiss which is a deterent along with verbals from me. Start out on lead, some are easy to train others not so easy but it works. Had a big tiger in a run with 4 dogs and they just circled and barked.

If the snake can get away it will, if it is bailed up it will be very defensive as its life is at stake, so it reacts accordingly.

If a dog is that close to a snake that the snake feels the need to strike it will then keep going. If they are cornered they will rush at the person /animal that has them corned and strike