Desexing Or Vasectomy?

keasarge

I have a four month old flat coated retriever boy, church is my first puppy as all of my dogs have been pound mongrels who came desexed,, Church ive had since eight weeks and plan on getting him neutered during my research ive discovered that doing a vasectomy is more beneficial as its less invasive surgery and they maintain the benefit of better balanced hormones, just wondering if anyone here has had it done, how did it go any problems arise ect?

and a photo of church at 8 weeks...

Riverlands Gossiping Churchill

post-48456-0-06526900-1376475049_thumb.jpg

Awwww :)

he looks so 'hangdog' :)

castration is hardly invasive ...as testicles are usually just in the scrotum ;)

With a vasectomy , the only thing is that the dog will be unable to get a bitch pregnant .

Yes, the hormones will all be there , along with the behaviours that can be problematic .. marking, seeking out bitches, being perhaps targeted by other males, etc ... These can of course be worked on with understanding and training .

have you thought about chemical castration, when the time comes?

If you choose surgical castration or chemical castration, it is generally thought best to wait until 12 mths or so, to allow the hormones to help with good strong growth of bones /joints .

im in no rush to get him done, ive had older dogs that where desexed later in life (8 years plus) so I have experience training boy problems out.

he is a lovely dog with great bloodlines from imported Swedish blood great conformation and temperament but I have no interest in breeding on any level so no babies ever for him, church is just a family pet who dabbles in agility and nose work. im more curious about things like cancer rates being lower in vasectomy dogs compared to full neutered, his health matters more than anything.

The only way he can get a bitch pregnant is for you to allow him access to a bitch in heat. Fences, leashes and training were invented to fix that problem. Dogs can't magically mate unless they have a way to get at each other. If your dog can get out of your yard and access others, desexed or not you need to evaulate your level of management.

Why pay for 2 surgeries? Leave him be. Desex him only if you feel you really want him to be.

The only way he can get a bitch pregnant is for you to allow him access to a bitch in heat. Fences, leashes and training were invented to fix that problem. Dogs can't magically mate unless they have a way to get at each other. If your dog can get out of your yard and access others, desexed or not you need to evaulate your level of management.

Why pay for 2 surgeries? Leave him be. Desex him only if you feel you really want him to be.

our yards is a fortress, we use leashes and all precautions will be taken but accidents happen and im not willing to leave him entire

Vasectomy and castration are on the same level of invasiveness really. Maybe one stitch more. If you're going for a way to stop him breeding then whip out his testicles. There's no point in keeping them in (by the sounds of what you have said) and it can (as Perse has said) lessen entire behaviours both from him and other males.

Edited by mixeduppup

If you plan on doing agility there is no way I would castrate before his growth plates have closed. If you don't want him entire up until that stage go for the vasectomy.

Just about to say the same thing. Desexing a non sexually and physically mature dog that you intend to do extreme sports with is not a good idea IMO.

our yards is a fortress, we use leashes and all precautions will be taken but accidents happen and im not willing to leave him entire

The only thing he won't be able to do is get a bitch in pup. All the other things can still possibly happen. Wait until he is fully mature then desex him.

Living with 2 entire dogs and 2 bitches here. Would not even think of vasectomy!.....

The bitch is only able to mate twice a year....if you are lucky....and only then within a window of 4 days.

Rather than 2 anaes. I would just castrate at 15mths. JMO

If you plan on doing agility there is no way I would castrate before his growth plates have closed. If you don't want him entire up until that stage go for the vasectomy.

Just about to say the same thing. Desexing a non sexually and physically mature dog that you intend to do extreme sports with is not a good idea IMO.

This, but I would like to add that with a large breed I wouldn't castrate until after at least 12, probably rather 18 months or older, regardless of whether you will be doing agility or not.

We had an entire boy and girl living together for over 18 months and never had any accidents either. still have the male entire (he's my OH's dog and OH cannot bear the thought of loosing the nuts), he's about 7 years old now and never managed to serve a bitch so far.

Edited by BlackJaq

Personally I wouldn't be desexing any male unless I really had to.

Particularly in larger dogs, the testosterone based muscle atrophy negatively impacts their body way too much for my liking, and this happens when desexed at any age, right through adulthood. You cannot stop it.

Though I don't have any links to research, there is evidence to support higher incidence of ACL injuries in desexed larger breed dogs

There is also evidence to support that desexed males are more likely to get prostate cancer than entires are to get testicular cancer.

All food for thought, but at the end of the day owners need to do what suits them and their lifestyle.

If you must desex I would strongly recommend waiting until at least 18 months.

If you are not expecting testosterone based temperament issues (and you can experiment with Suprelorin for this) and you still feel so strongly about altering your dog's reproductive system, then vasectomizing is a good idea.

Edited by dyzney