Look Who's In The Whelping Box

sandgrubber

The third or forth time the pups woke me last night the noises sounded a little different and I went to look. Surprise!

post-8994-0-42086500-1376909318_thumb.jpg

Jarrah has helped with every litter she's been around, so it wasn't entirely unexpected. But she's now nine, and was spayed two years ago. Seems that oestrogen production is not essential for the maternal instinct to kick in.

The third or forth time the pups woke me last night the noises sounded a little different and I went to look. Surprise!

post-8994-0-42086500-1376909318_thumb.jpg

Jarrah has helped with every litter she's been around, so it wasn't entirely unexpected. But she's now nine, and was spayed two years ago. Seems that oestrogen production is not essential for the maternal instinct to kick in.

what a lovely relaxed mum to let her in when they're so little too. lucky you've got a big whelping box!

1377122051[/url]' post='6281870']

A beautiful photo :D Thank you for sharing.

It is great when you see your girls doing this. I have two that are half sisters and they to will do this.

Just beautiful to see. :thumbsup:

In this case, the helper is the pups' granny. She doesn't have much milk, but she's a big help keeping the whelping box clean, and I think the pups are quieter, presumably happier, having her company.

<div><br></div><div>The broodiness seems to run in the line....I can trace it back four generations, and out to a few siblings.</div>

Edited by sandgrubber

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I know it's been a while since this was last replied too, but I'm waiting with bated breath for an ultrasound to see if my long planned mating has been successful, so filling in time reading lots of old posts.With my second litter my beautiful girl allowed her son to clean her babies - I figured if she was happy with it there was no problem. He also gained the nick-name "The Guardian" because he minded the ten puppies whenever his mum had to go out.

However, when his sister whelped things were different. She wasn't accepting help from anyone (including me). Nothing nasty, just a firm "No thank you". Poor Louis was heartbroken...he would peep around the corner to check on the babies all the time... :cry: