Drontal

Thanks :) I think I read white feet do not treat or something like that, regarding ivermectin but other sources say its safe!

It's hard to know. I know the breeder uses drontal, but said to go by what my vet says.

I will use the interceptor tomorrow then I have a mth to decide :)

Oh and the vet recommended it but didn't sell it to me, I sourced it elsewhere. They stock all the wormers and heartworm.

Did the recommending vet tell you that Interceptor does NOT treat tapeworm?

I prefer to give Drontal every three months to deal with all intestinal worms and a separate monthly heartworm preventative (I use Proheart) for heartworm.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Good thinking. The place I work at is 'sponsored' by one of the food companies and we are supposed to recommend that above others but I wouldn't do their 'nutrition accreditation' crap and just go with the food that I feel suits the persons animal best, a lot won't do that.

It does treat tapeworm?

Interceptor Spectrum Tasty Chews prevent heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) and control roundworm (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), whipworm (Trichuris vulpis), hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum, Uncinariastenocephala) and adult tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosus, Dipylidium caninum, Taenia pisiformis) in dogs.

http://ah.novartis.com.au/pethealth_products/interceptor_spectrum_tasty_chews.html/section/469

Oh and the vet recommended it but didn't sell it to me, I sourced it elsewhere. They stock all the wormers and heartworm.

Did the recommending vet tell you that Interceptor does NOT treat tapeworm?

I prefer to give Drontal every three months to deal with all intestinal worms and a separate monthly heartworm preventative (I use Proheart) for heartworm.

Edited by fluff1234

It does treat tapeworm?

Interceptor Spectrum Tasty Chews prevent heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) and control roundworm (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), whipworm (Trichuris vulpis), hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum, Uncinariastenocephala) and adult tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosus, Dipylidium caninum, Taenia pisiformis) in dogs.

You're right - they changed the ingredients some time back and its now Interceptor Spectrum.

Very interesting thanks...

Going by all that I will stick with interceptor and use every 4/ 6 weeks :) will check with the vet :)

We live in semi rural with lots of cows, sheep, dogs and other animals about. I feed half raw and he eats everything! I also have young kids, so not taking any chances...

It's also hot and humid where we live too. Well in the summer!

Thanks so much everyone x

You might like to se other discussions like that on D O L :)

here are a few for you ( MUCH better than some blog from USA ;) )

LINK

LINK

LINK

Edited by fluff1234

I've been using Interceptor Spectrum for a number of years now because of my BC. The only concerns I have was that when you compare the ingredients with a regular 3 monthly wormer they are the same. I asked the vet about this & she said that a wormer only works on the worms present & isn't a preventative so was ok to use monthly. I still have my doubts. As for the yearly injection for heartworm, I wouldn't use it. I've heard too many bad stories about it.

I use Valuheart or Proheart every month purely for heart worm but then on the third month I give Milbemax which covers intestinal worms + heart worm (as heart worm still needs to be monthly)… I remember trying to find the best combination to cover everything without unnecessarily overloading her system. I think I used Drontal + heart guard from my previous dog… same method.

Hi its the chews I was going to buy?

the supplier only sells the tablets for small or medium dogs..

Hi fluff1234,

The Drontal 35kg tablets are perfectly safe to half and are scored to facilitate halving them. As has already been mentioned they have a high safety margin but given you've estimated his bodyweight at 11.5kg I would be inclined to wait until he tops 15kg before giving half a 35kg and just do as you've planned with the 1.5 10kg tab for now.

The chews should not be halved or portioned anytime.

:)

The packaging for the chews recommends dosing to the nearest half chew. Quoted from the packaging " 1 chew for every 10kg of body weight. round off doses to the nearest half chew above."

Also off packaging (for 10kg chews)

Dosage rate:

3.1 to 5 kg- half chew

5.1 to 10 kg- 1 chew

10.1 to 15 kg- 1 1/2 chews

15.1 to 20 kg- 2 chews

I have followed these instructions and have never had a problem.

In regards to heartworm, all the heartworm products I have ever seen are either daily, weekly or monthly. We dont have heartworm in my area so i havent really researched it thoroughly. You can get also get the yearly injection from a vet.

Yes, you're right. Apologies. Had a complete brain fart there - forgetting Drontal chews are manufactured differently to most anthelmintic chews. :o

OK

I am thinking maybe I a missing something! ;)

The drontal on vet n pet direct says 10k or 35 kg

how does that work?

do you have to give half tablets or portions? or do you just give the 10kg until they get to 35 kg?

I have bought interceptor but not wishing to heartworm EVERY month, so was going to use drontal every month except the 3rd mth, then interceptor (once every 3 mths)

I had the same reasons. The Interceptor and Snetinel was just an overkill every month. Definitely not worth taking anti fleas and heartworm for winter in Melbourne. Yes, so for that low season I give Drontal.

Just break up the Drontal pill to suit your dog's weight. The spare I just put in the fridge till next time.