Identification Of "menacing Dogs"

Cartersmum

I saw this in my Facebook feed as we live in The Hills District:

http://www.hillsnews.com.au/story/1716478/rangers-will-be-given-power-to-remove-menacing-dogs/?cs=12

How are they going to identify a menacing dog?

As a Rottweiler owner (the gorgeous Carter) I am concerned this will tar all dogs with the same brush. I was walking Carter last year with my sister (who was 9 at the time) and a lady approached me in a park and told me that "it was irresponsible of me to have a menacing dog breed with children around"

Safe to say I ignored her. What are your thoughts?

I think if your dog is leashed and under an adults control, growling or barking isn't menacing, but if the dog is off leash doing the growling, barking and chasing or baling up of any type, it's definitely menacing and terrifying for most people, there is no earthly use shouting "He won't bite" either, the dog will still be classed as menacing. It makes sense to me. :thumbsup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still maintain that if it's done right it will be a good thing for dogs and the community in NSW. I just wish there was a training requirement as well.

I have two different dogs at the moment that this category would be perfect for. Dangerous Dog is overkill based on the incidents but that is really my only option if I want some controls on the dogs (which I do, and they need). These owners are probably going to cop dangerous dog, but if this had passed already I'd be going the menacing route, and they wouldn't have to spend $3000+ on the enclosure (or put their dog to sleep, as many people opt to do when they see the enclosure requirements).

That's a big if for government.

To some people all large powerful dogs, with emphasis on certain breeds, are menacing, no matter what they do.

Scr#w the letter of the law. If you have a reactive dog, try to prevent it from killing or maiming the stupid little sh#ts that may attack from time to time. Letting your dog deliver punishment is inviting trouble it would be simpler and easier to avoid.

Yep I agree with the above 100%... but wouldn't it be wonderful if the aggressive behaviours displayed by said "stupid little sh#ts" was acted upon with as much fervour as happens with the larger dogs?

T.

agree with these sentiments.

H

This legislation is in Victoria already and the fall out is not good. Large dogs being declared dangerous (which often results in being PTS due to the requirement of owning one) after a little dog runs up to it and threatens it and its owner with barking, growling and lunging. Big dog defends itself and causes injury to the little dog = Big dog declared dangerous.

Little dogs need to be taught how to behave just the same as big dogs.

The average pet owner has no idea how this can effect their dogs. People think, oh great this will ensure dogs that hurt people a

are PTS.

What the council look at is the damage done, not the circumstance. People do not know how to defend allegations and end up dropping their dog and themselves in a black hole. :mad

It's because of this new law I don't take any chances at all with other people walking towards my dog. I put him in a sit and are completely out of the way off the path. Too many times have we seen while doing this little dogs on flexi leads straining to get at my big guy while they are barking and growling while their owners think it is funny.

One thing is can a dog rushing a fence growling and barking and who almost jumped the fence to get to me and my dog be reported not that the ranger will do anything because the dog in question is a border collie and the fence is 5ft.

--Lhok

I am so sick of all this dangerous & menacing dog stuff :banghead:

Yes I know some attack & some have idiot owners & are a nuisance but the greatest danger in this world is dangerous & menacing people, even just behind the wheel:driving: :eek:

I would like to see more attention & media & society interest in this & the human species then maybe people would not be so phobic & hysterical about dogs.

Never met a paedophile dog, sex offender dog, one that is violent & irresponsible due to drugs or alcohol, one that breaks into houses, one that commits theft & fraud & on & on.

If we diverted only half the time & money used on dog control & rules & laws into more people control, rules & laws the country would be somewhat better.

Dog is not mans best friend in Australia. Its too banned & confined to be anyones friend.

More like guilty & sentenced if it doesn't look "right".

It's because of this new law I don't take any chances at all with other people walking towards my dog. I put him in a sit and are completely out of the way off the path. Too many times have we seen while doing this little dogs on flexi leads straining to get at my big guy while they are barking and growling while their owners think it is funny.

One thing is can a dog rushing a fence growling and barking and who almost jumped the fence to get to me and my dog be reported not that the ranger will do anything because the dog in question is a border collie and the fence is 5ft.

--Lhok

I have a similar problem with my little dog, who walks at heel and on a short leash, I walk passed large dogs on leash only to have the dog lunge at us while I silently pray it's collar or lead doesn't snap, (now that's menacing) I've had the owners say "That made you jump didnt it", not funny at all. I give all large dogs a wide berth nowadays. I hate those extender leashes too. Bad manners isn't just confined to owners with small dogs. While some small dog owners may think it's funny to have their dog intimidate a large dog, it's equally true of large dog owners doing the same to small dogs. The mine is bigger than yours issue comes into it or as one person with a massive dog said to me "That's not a dog, its a sample, now this is a real dog". Why don't we all behave like considerate, polite, mature individuals, well I guess that's a question for the universe.

I'd also like to know if a dog throwing itself at a fence is considered menacing or not.