Please Delete - Thread Was A Waste Of Time

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Ben (you can see in the picture his leg is bandaged to his back hip)

1304438s.jpg

And this is his story -

http://www.rockysk9rescue.org.au/Appeal%20for%20Ben.html

If you would like to help towards Ben's care, or you might be able to offer a quiet place for him to recuperate, please contact Rocky's.

OMG the pain this poor dog must have suffered. :cry: Doesn't the pound have a duty of care to provide vet care for a dog like this?????

Edited by schnauzer

Guest Wildthing

Every pound/shelter has a Duty Of Care to provide adequate veterinary care for any animal in their care that needs treatment. Perhaps someone should report them to the RSPCA!

I have clicked on the link and must admit I am greatly relieved to know that Ben has found safety and freedom from pain via Rocky'sK9 Rescue. The site gives information about where he is and what the estimated vet fees are and how he got the injuries in the first place. Would suggest everyone reads it. Think I will empty the Cat Bank and donate. I was very lucky just before Christmas with donations for a cat I took under Duty of Care from Queanbeyan pound. It is now time to help another animal that needs it.

Edited by Wildthing

I'd be intersted to know whether there is in fact more to this story. Despite my disgust if it's true I find it hard to believe that ANYONE could just leave a dog to suffer for that long let alone someone who has actively chosen to work with animals. Maybe the dog had in fact had vet care but hadn't had the full surgery completed? i don't know, it just doesn't seem like the full story to me?

From the look of the bandage holding Ben's leg and hip stable, he's been seen by someone with veterinary experience and they may have deemed that he was stable enough being bandaged up like that.

Not that I agree that a dog that requires orthopedic surgery should be kept in a cold kennel environment for the full impound time - the logistics of performing immediate and expensive surgery on a dog that may or may not end up being reclaimed by the owner are tricky. Then there's the possibility that he wouldn't be adopted or rescued. The pounds just don't have the resources to cope with this sort of thing properly.

If he had been euthed, and then his owners came forward to find him, then there would be a huge outcry also.

The pound is between a rock and a hard place when animals come in like this... and I'm sure that not one staff member at that particular pound likes to see dogs suffering needlessly. Let's cut them a little slack, OK?

T.

What about being released under DOC though? He could at least have been kept warm and comfortable in someones home. I realise there is possibly two sides but at this stage it's not looking very promising for the pound. Poor bloody dog :(

I would like the other side of the story too, he may well have had pain relief.

I'm not taking that rescue's word for it, after the state they adopted out a dog to a client of mine, who then attacked the resident dog needing vet care, and then were rude about it going back.

The purpose of this thread was to get assistance for Ben. Maybe the Pound has some valid reason for leaving him in that state for two weeks - I don't know their side of the story. But I posted the link to help Ben and the group that was prepared to take him on - so if anyone has a quiet warm spot for this youngster, I'm sure Ben would be very grateful for your help.

If you would like to help towards Ben's care, or you might be able to offer a quiet place for him to recuperate, please contact Rocky's.

Under the law withholding veterinary treatment to a suffering animal is a criminal offence.

There may be more to this story, and I would hope that someone at this pound would have got the dog the immediate medical treatment/pain relief required. Why on earth wasn't the dog released under DOC?

I really hope/pray he was comfortable pain and bedding wise while in the pound and that delaying any surgery has not hurt his prognosis. I appreciate the issues faced by the pound while a dog is waiting to be reclaimed. In situations like this does anyone know whether the pound could legally have this boy moved to the RSPCA and given their mandate would the RSPCA have been obliged to treat him medically straight away? Sadly, I suspect no in both cases.

This might sound stupid but when I smashed my wrist last year I was horrified that it was 4 days before I had surgery. I found out later that due to demand even private patients can wait up to 2 weeks for that kind of surgery. I may have been doped up on pain meds while I waited but I couldn't do a damn thing for myself and was so frightened that things would start to heal wrong because that's what I'd always heard with my other broken bones as a child - you leave it too long to reset and plaster and there is no point. Likely to be no longer true with medical advancements.

It is normal and acceptable practice to treat for pain and make the dog as comfortable as possible while waiting for permission from the owners to perform surgery. It's not just permission but also confirming who is responsible for paying the vet to do the surgery.

I assume he is being given pain relief.

I don't think it was ideal to have the dog remain in the pound. However, who pays the vet care bills if he sits in a surgery for 2 weeks whilst waiting for the legal process time to lapse?

Where is Clr Dickens with this one?

Sure, we can all say 'mean, nasty,uncaring vets, the dogs are more important!' but given that so many vets give so much by way of time, resources and discounts ad freebies already, how much more blood do we expect? Sometimes rational action has to be weighed in to the discussion.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did - tried to get a very sick dog out under DOC from there earlier in the year. He couldn't move.

The answer was NO. He then had to endure two days with temps over 40 degrees, I thought he'd die for sure.

He made it - but had to spend next 2 weeks in the vets on a drip and having intense treatment to save his life.

So, I was going to start a BP/RK9 thread.

How does a young female spend some weeks in the pound, then more with Rocky's being treated for demodectic mange, then two weeks after adoption still not be desexed? Still having treatment for the mange, too.

Lovely couple who are very dog-savvy but still, this group is still a long way from meeting my own requirements of ethical rescue.