Please Delete - Thread Was A Waste Of Time

Sorry Powerlegs, I hope it didn't seem like I was condemning the pound as we only have that one pic and a bit of the story. I understand their limitations given an incoming dog is in a holding pattern until claimed (or not). I was just wondering what other options they might have in a situation like this with bigger organisations that are mandated to prevent cruelty (which to me includes an animal suffering high levels of pain for an extended period of time, regardless of who the permanent or temp owners are). I'm sure pound staff can't be comfortable caring for an untreated or un-medicated animal for two weeks and would be doing all they could to help this boy. But it all boils down to yet another dog suffering because of us humans. I wish/hope there are strategies in place to manage this kind of situation (which can't be isolated) is all. Skin issues are one thing but broken bones freaking hurt.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the impounded animal cannot have expensive surgery until some form of ownership is established - even under a DOC agreement, the dog would not be able to have surgery until it was either reclaimed by the owner, or formally released to rescue. What happens if the dog is reclaimed after the surgery is performed? Who foots that bill if it hasn't been authorised by the actual owner of the dog? How do they recoup the surgery cost?

If the injury is not life threatening, and can be managed with pain meds and generally making the dog comfortable - then that is all the pound can do legally. The animal truly is in limbo until it is formally owned by someone.

Here's hoping that the rescue now involved has actually sent Ben off for his surgery already, and isn't waiting for some fundraising venture before doing so...

T.

So, I was going to start a BP/RK9 thread.

How does a young female spend some weeks in the pound, then more with Rocky's being treated for demodectic mange, then two weeks after adoption still not be desexed? Still having treatment for the mange, too.

Lovely couple who are very dog-savvy but still, this group is still a long way from meeting my own requirements of ethical rescue.

No ethical rescue allows any dogs to leave undesexed - ever. Full stop.

Just in case anyone is wondering, having Demodectic Mange doesn't prevent a dog from having vet work. PAWS rescued a dog at Christmas 2011 that I fostered - he had all his vet work done within the first couple of weeks - he was in desperate need of a dental and in unimaginable pain, so much so that it affected his heart ....

He was treated for 3-4 months for Demodectic until he was clear to be adopted.

He couldn't go until he was given the all clear. Nor would PAWS have let him go.

Edited by dogmad

If the injury is not life threatening, and can be managed with pain meds and generally making the dog comfortable - then that is all the pound can do legally. The animal truly is in limbo until it is formally owned by someone.

T.

It was stated that the dog was not given pain relief for two weeks. Strapping does not give pain relief. :( If this is true, IMO as I stated before - absolute cruelty.

efs

Edited by schnauzer

I THINK I saw this dog when I was at the pound .

I can"t be sure it was the same dog. I remember seeing a dog of the same colour with a bandage he was walking around with a limp now and then but came up to the wire for a pat .The bandage was still on however a little dirty. My girlfriend at the time who was with me asked why he was rescue only I could only assume it was because of his injury but as I don"t know the rules it was a guess.

The dog I saw even though had this bandage and injury didn"t look distressed in pain or bothered by it . I did feel just like most of the dogs there he didn"t like being in the cage .I can honestly say had I thought he seemed to be in pain or being neglected I would have approached the staff .

PLEASE bare in mind this maynot have been the same dog the dog I saw was on the 22nd of July if that helps?

The problem is that the impounded animal cannot have expensive surgery until some form of ownership is established - even under a DOC agreement, the dog would not be able to have surgery until it was either reclaimed by the owner, or formally released to rescue. What happens if the dog is reclaimed after the surgery is performed? Who foots that bill if it hasn't been authorised by the actual owner of the dog? How do they recoup the surgery cost?

Here's hoping that the rescue now involved has actually sent Ben off for his surgery already, and isn't waiting for some fundraising venture before doing so...

T.

But that's what I'm trying to say T. We have all these rules in place to protect humans from legal liability and out of pocket expenses but it is the dog that still suffers, despite that suffering supposedly being illegal. It's the dog caught between a rock and a hard place, not the owners, pound or vet. I just wish ownership didn't matter when it came to pain.

Yes, I'm being a big woosy in la la land (only because I was there not long ago and did not like it one bit!).

This dog got "no treatment"? Did it apply its own bandage?

I don't know the full story but seems to me that the rescue has been a tad liberal with the facts - all good to raise donations though I'm sure.

Years ago, our family dog was hit by a car and broke her pelvis. She was bandaged in the same manner Ben was - and that was the sole treatment.

Not sure we'll ever get the full story but it does seem that this one has been embellished.

I am only speculating based on his photo, but it looks like he is wearing an ehmer sling. This is used to keep a dislocated hip in place. So it appears that he has had some veterinary attention.

If a dislocated hip was his only injury, once it is put back in place and kept in with the ehmer sling, he may not require ongoing pain relief. However I would trust that the vet who placed the bandage would have ensured he received pain relief if he needed it.

15F2.jpg

OMG first time I've looked at Rocky website.

I can't believe she has the hide to put up a tribute to Norma Faulkner and claim to be trained by her! That's so so wrong in so many ways.

Vale Norma. I hope you can't see your name and amazing work being used like this!

Ï had a quick squize through the FB page to see more updates and follow from the start .They claim no-one stepped in so Rockys did he has a foster carer and a number of donations had already been paid they started his own appeal page and from what I can read he is doing really well .

It also states on the page there have been 10 adoptions in the past fortnight including some long termers I would assume all their vet bills had long been paid for so couldn"t some of that adoption money help?

I found out all too well how a seemly healthy looking dog could rake up the vet bills so please don"t think I believe rescues are loaded and money available at the drop of a hat but $1200 for an op seems rather cheap compared to what it could cost the average person for their pet .

Sadly I think this will become more about the story than BEN and even if the target amount has been raised will they continue to ask for more?

BACK TO BEN Im glad he has been treated and will be able to find a new home .WILL this story lead to another backlash at pounds ? the public are always quick to jump on the band wagon and find it hard to believe there are always two sides to a story

Surely someone has more info and this dog during his time there.I would hate to believe he really was left unattended in pain but I would also hate to think someone was geeing up a story to gain money and no thinking about the backlash it may cause

Pounds are not a nice place but the staff and volunteers there are doing what they can like anyone else they too have rules to follow".I would like to believe they wouldn"t intentionly leave any animal to suffer

From reading some of the 139 comments most of which read Rockys and merna are GOD they also could be read as starting a witch hunt against the pound .

Rescue groups can only do whats within their reach many Im sure are full and stretched for cash add to that your personal lives be it working raising a family etc throw in dealing everyday with the public and animal welfare for those in your care then the paperwork and running around .AND while you"re at it throw in the odd behavour case or unforseen medical cases ....I take my hat off to those who don"t parade these things but focus on the animal first and foremost for if you"re doing these things I doubt you have time to post your greatness via social media everyday

I can't believe she has the hide to put up a tribute to Norma Faulkner and claim to be trained by her! That's so so wrong in so many ways.

Vale Norma. I hope you can't see your name and amazing work being used like this!

Has it really been 4 years since Norma passed? Dog, time flies! Vale Norma - we still miss you heaps...

T.

The pound is between a rock and a hard place when animals come in like this... and I'm sure that not one staff member at that particular pound likes to see dogs suffering needlessly. Let's cut them a little slack, OK?

No cutting anyone any slack who doesn't even give the dog a soft bed to lie on. OK?

Why are people so keen to believe the pound actually did this? :laugh:

Oh yes. This story sure is worth a good laugh.

I would guess that Ben's story has been somewhat embellished by the rescue who now has him... the pound in question would have had him on pain relief...

So you have contacted them personally and had it confirmed ?

Have you seriously just noticed this? It has been there since shortly after Norma died.

Yes I've seriously only just noticed. I don't want to think about Merna and her antics any more than necessary - such as when her name was raised at a dinner party the other night, or a thread like this comes up by coincidence at the same time.

Odd. And yes, amusing that people are so quick to believe. Of course the place isn't perfect and has screwed up before, but this scenario makes no sense.

A dog who received no care bandaged himself with quite a professional looking sling.

Then he sat in a pound as large as blacktown with full time staff, volunteers, vet help not to mention the browsing public ready to report anything iffy to the RSPCA... he suffered unnoticed for 2 weeks in full view and nobody said a thing.

So because NO other rescue wanted him. Not one in all of Sydney or further. The pound was forced to let this dog they had neglected, go into the care of a rescue who by their own claim had neither the funds or the room to look after him.

Makes a lot of sense.

Yes I've seriously only just noticed. I don't want to think about Merna and her antics any more than necessary - such as when her name was raised at a dinner party the other night, or a thread like this comes up by coincidence at the same time.

I know nothing about any dinner party - I live in another state and do this thread bec no-one in NSW would step up to the plate and help out the state's biggest pound. I saw this request on FB and decided to post on here - I hummed and ahhed whether it would attract the usual muck rakers and snide comments - I thought maybe this time it would be different, but sadly I was wrong.

I hear on the rescue grapevine that Rockys Rescue did very well at a fundraising event held just for them recently ... I would have thought it would be more than enough to have taken this dog on and covered his vet bills.

And I'm sure you are fully aware of how rescue expenses are a bottomless pit. You don't know what existing debts they already had - and maybe what they raised only cleared their existing debts.

Odd. And yes, amusing that people are so quick to believe. Of course the place isn't perfect and has screwed up before, but this scenario makes no sense.

A dog who received no care bandaged himself with quite a professional looking sling.

And yes, amusing that people are so quick to jump on Rocky's - like iron filings to a magnet, like a record stuck in a grove, the usual suspects come out to play, with the same old clap trap. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe the dog was bandaged before it came to Blacktown?

The thread was not about bagging Blacktown Pound, or bagging the group that took Ben on. The wording they used to advertise his plight would not have been my choice, but bottom line is the dog required some assistance. If people would like to help, great. If they don't want to help, can't help, don't like the group - that's fine also - just move on and spare the rest of us the usual crap trap - I for one am over it.