Tell Me About Beagles?

JRT Lover

My husband is a Labrador man (too big and too much shedding for my liking!), but has finally suggested another breed that he would consider - a beagle. I'm a JRT lover (hence the username!) but we need something less inclined to be snappy as we have a toddler. I've read all the breed reviews for beagles about them being wilful wanderers, so I'm looking for real life experiences with them. Are these dogs as wicked as they sound? Bearing in mind that I'm used to JRs so wilfulness is not a new concept!!

Are they digging, chewing maniacs as puppies like labs?

Your real experiences would be much appreciated! :)

Hi JRT Lover

Good luck in your quest. Like Rozzie I have not met a snappy JRT. I know I would have trusted ours with any child or baby (not that I would have given him an opportunity- like with any dog).

The only beagle I have known was difficult to train, due to his obsessiveness to sniff and follow anything that was around to be trailled- so funny when he was a puppy and followed other food trained puppies into the ring, and ignored his owner in favour of the dropped treats littering the ground! The trainers passed him anyway as they realised he should have done his "exam" first.

Di

I've not ever met a snappy JRT either, I think they're awesome little dogs and great for (well trained) kids.

Beagles are SUCH cute puppies though! They do seem to escape/wander a lot - but with any breed good fencing is a must.

If you dislike the labrador's shedding, then a beagle may not be for you. They also shed like mofos!!

As for wandering, any dog can be willful if you're not willing to put the work into training them. There are quite a few gorgeous beagles who frequent my local off leash park and they don't wander off at all. They are a lovely breed though, but as an owner, you must be willing to work with, and adapt to each dog's personality and breed characteristics.

My experience with beagles comes from owning a beagle x JRT and this is not a cross breed I'd ever recommend to anyone not willing to learn about both breeds. Zeus is the most gorgeous dog in the world (in my mind), but he's been a challenge for me his entire life. I've been used to the terrier mentality, so wasn't prepared when I brought Zeus home from a pet shop.

It's not so much that beagles are stubborn, it's because they forget to listen. They get so switched on to what they're scent tracking that they forget about their entire surroundings. The sniffing is not a problem provided you're able to get your dog's attention back, which can be a challenge.

On the forum I think Huski would be a great person to offer advice on beagles; she lives with Daisy, aka The Evil Beagle!!

I have not been the owner of a Beagle, but I have been a neighbour to a few.

Not an enjoyable experience. They have all (3 now), had separation anxiety and bark incessantly when left at home or in the yard on their own.

Now I know not ALL beagles are like this and in all three cases I've lived next door to, the dogs were much loved and pampered pets but none of them were given any outlet, ie training. And certainly not daily walks, walked from time to time, but not daily.

Beagles are lovely but they are hounds that follow their nose. There is a Beagle Rescue in NSW and they can't keep up with demand ...

I'd always advise contacting a breed rescue and having a discussion with them, they may even have a dog from a similar situation to yours and a bit older which could suit.

Beagles are probably one of THE most socially focussed dogs around. They were bred to live and hunt in a pack and to hunt while giving tongue.

Small wonder when this gregarious, vocal hunting breed is socially isolated (ie. only dog kept in back yard and not allowed house time) they become "troublesome". To be quite frank, I'm surprised they don't become insane.

If people aren't prepared to share their life and house with a dog, or at least to give it a canine companion and if they aren't prepared to give a dog a lot of exercise, I honestly can't think easily of a less suitable dog for a family.

They get taken advantage of a lot due to their amenable natures. They deserve a better life than to be treated as an animated back yard ornament. No wonder they bark their heads off or escape their yards in such situations.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I love beagles! And like Riverstar said I do live with The Evil Beagle. The breed standard calls them a merry little hound and I think this describes the breed well. IMO they can be a great family dog - active but not crazy, will lay around or go for long walks or jogs with you. They like to be with you but aren't Velcro dogs generally. They should have good solid nerves and are a nice sturdy size. A good beagle is friendly, confident and out going and just an all round happy dog. They generally get along with other animals well.

They do shed a lot and some people find their scent drive a challenge, but they are usually very food driven which works well for training. I wouldn't call them super pack driven but they want to be with you and doing things. They are active and need an output both mentally and physically.

I will always want to have a beagle in my household, just love them!

Edited by huski

Thanks for the replies everyone. Regarding the shedding, do they shed more than a smooth JRT? My girl did a bit of shedding but NOTHING like the lab. If beagles shed like labs I'll go crazy!

We live on acreage which means that there would be no shortage of off-leash exercise, but I guess that also gives a scent hound a lot to sniff and opportunities to disappear. Our house yard is reasonably secure but will need some reinforcements for a beagle methinks. It contained an elderly JRT easily but a young beagle may find some escape routes. Just how high can a beagle climb up a netting fence?!

My husband is so suckered in by the cute factor!

My beagle sheds a fair bit but it doesn't worry me as vac everyday anyway.

My girl is a happy thing who's always got a smile for her family and is happy to either lounge around with us or run around the park. She's always up for a cuddle and she's not what I would call a barker. If a stranger comes to the door she will give them a warning bark until I tell her its ok. She doesn;t bark all day when I'm at work but I think its because we also have a cocker spaniel at home with her. She wouldn't cope as an only dog unless one of us didn't work. She's utterly food driven but it can be used to my advantage when training.

I have Basset Fauve De Bretagne and I'm told that they are a lot like beagles and they sure seem to be very much like the ones I know. They are VERY, VERY scent driven and if you're going to live on acreage with one you will need VERY, VERY good fences. They are ridiculously intelligent but not always so obedient which leads people to consider them difficult - its working out what makes them tick!

I have 2 beagles - very much merry little hounds. Food/scent driven, must be part of the family - I can't imagine having outside beagles, these 2 have their own special spot on the couch lol.

They do shed, IMO they shed a lot. We have to be very careful before we go to work to ensure no dog hair on our clothes.

They are loving, cuddly, loyal and lazy. Zoomies and walks everyday, and we are on 1.5 acres. They just chill on the verandah most of the time. I will always have at least 1 beagle, and always have 2 dogs at all times.

I walk a beagle occasionally. Bit of a nightmare puller - follows his nose to any discarded food wrapper. Is an outside dog because "he eats everything" if allowed inside. He's a sweet dog. It's sad really. I guess the moral is all dogs need training properly. I also walk a feisty JRT. smart, fast learner, reactive to bigger dogs, uncomfortable around puppies. Lovely with kids. They're all individuals.

I have a beagle cross and I will agree that he is very focussed - once something takes his interest it is near impossible for me to get his attention. The puppy/teenage phase was a bit of a nightmare but he has matured into a wonderful dog with a big personality. He is very fun to own, great with kids and a nice size - not to big to bath easily and nice and sturdy. He sheds quite a bit and suffers from allergies which apparently the breed is prone to. I wouldn't say that he is low maintenance, but he is worth it.

Guest Clover

I'm another who is going to stand up for JRTs. I have never met a snappy one, except for the random tan and white mutts that people have bought as Jacks :/. They are fantastic dogs in the right hands and with the right training.

Don't get me wrong - I'd have another JRT in a heartbeat but I need to come to a compromise with my hubby, so something sized somewhere between a JRT and a lab, which is where the beagle idea came in.

Thanks everyone for the posts. I'm starting to form a clearer picture of what they are like. I made the mistake of searching for beagles on YouTube and found some impressive escapes caught on camera! LOL