Agility/obedience/dog Sports In Brisbane

Hey guys,

As some of you may know I have recently moved to Brisbane and I am living close to the Logan area, so ideally have been looking for something on the south side of Brisbane but I am willing to travel.

I would like to start both Obedience and Agility here, but would also consider trying Flyball if I could find a club.

I am really struggling to find something suitable for us! I have left countless phone messages for different people - so many I am losing count of who I have tried now!

Hudson is a 2yr old Australian Shepherd, we have done a few grades of pet dog training, but no formal obedience and we have also done the start of some agility training - enough to get us round a novice jumpers course, but we have A LOT of work to do so going back to basics is fine with me.

The trouble I am having is I work shift work, and the nights I work can vary from week to week (although have around 6 weeks advance notice of my shifts) so I am having trouble finding a club that will accept us in. A few that I have been able to be in contact with have required us to attend particular 4-6 week courses (and sadly I don't have that night free for 6 weeks straight) or attend a start up meeting, which sadly occurs on a night I have to work! (This is doing my head in!)

Like I said above, I am happy to go back to basics in order to get into a club/training group, but at the same time feel like signing up for a puppy/basic class will be not too helpful for us.

I am really keen to get started with some formal training, but at this rate it might be next year before I can organise anything! Huddy is a great dog, but needs training working with other dogs as a distraction which as he is my only dog is difficult to work on outside of a training environment.

Is anyone here a member of a club which might be of use to me? Or know someone who might be able to help? I am more than happy to keep calling people, but hate being a pain too!

Or has anyone done classes with the RSPCA here, I realise these are not competition obedience/agility - I am just keen to get my crazy boy out and using that brain for something other than walking around here!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only help with the northside unfortuately.. Providing info just in case.

I train at PADS (Eatons Hill) which is affiliated with ADAA, training is Wed nights for starters (you would need to be assesed), Monday nights for intermediates (assessment required), Thursday for advanced. We also have obedience (not formal) on Saturday mornings, with frisbee the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month. They are all rolling groups so no booking. A beginners agility class is a 12 week block on Wednesday nights and you have to book.

Metro (Chermside) trains on Mondays I think, Pine Rivers Obedience (Strathpine) has obedience on Fridays and I believe their flyball is Tuesday nights.

BAD (Carina) does agility they are ADAA affiliated as well.

I've recently started agility with Booker on Thursday nights at Durack - it's through the Qld Agility & Jumping Dog Club - I just finished saying in the agility thread how much I love it there! I think new intakes are on the first Thursday of each month - just send then an email :)

I also train obedience at Metro on Monday nights and enjoy it there too. On their website I'm pretty sure it states when the next intake is on. I'm pretty sure you could be assessed also and not have to go straight into class 1 if he is more advanced. Might be a bit far for you to go though.

Thanks guys, will look into travel to the north side, but would prefer to stay south if possible!

I have been in touch with BAD - and looks like that will be a good place for us on Wednesday nights. I was keen to go to Durack, but sadly the ONLY Thursday I have to work this month is the first one! (so frustrating!) I understand it makes it hard for the clubs, but to have to keep waiting for the new intake, its hard! :p

Thanks guys, will look into travel to the north side, but would prefer to stay south if possible!

I have been in touch with BAD - and looks like that will be a good place for us on Wednesday nights. I was keen to go to Durack, but sadly the ONLY Thursday I have to work this month is the first one! (so frustrating!) I understand it makes it hard for the clubs, but to have to keep waiting for the new intake, its hard! :p

Oh that's a shame! I think they are great at Durack! :D

I am keen to join for sure, and will go for the October intake if need be. It's just a shame I can't work my way around having to be there for that one particular night! Because aside from the 5th, I have the entire month free on Thursdays!

Might see if I can call again and work something out, whether or not I can do an intro another night? or get sent the details.. I don't know. I am not a complete newbie, but understand having to run through the rules etc of that particular club

I go to BAD on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and the training that we get is awsome, Elise+Hudson if you have done agility before you might not need to go on Wednesday night you might be able to go straight to tuesday, you can always turn up on a Tuesday night without Hudson and take a look.

I think I will go along next Tuesday and just take a look around, but will bring Hudson with my on Wednesday and see how it goes. I don't mind going back to basics with him - you never stop learning!

Went to the introduction night for Logan dog obedience tonight. Very different style from what I am used to with the requirement to wear a check chain. The check chain itself doesn't worry me, as Hudson shows on a a very thin snake chain without a problem.. But I wonder how the rest of the training will be set out. Will come along to a few sessions and see what happens I guess!

Unless the dog is under 20 weeks of age - in which case it can wear a flat collar. All dogs over 20 weeks have to wear a check chain. :/

And there was discussion about using it to 'check' the dog.. so we will just have to see.

Looking at travelling as far as the gold coast for a good club which will allow me to attend on a casual basis - until I have a definite work schedule (I think it calms down eventually and you tend to work certain nights on a regular basis) and not all over the place like it is now.. I might be able to be better about attending every week.

*sigh* why must it be so hard! I am SO excited about BAD next week though, at this stage Wednesdays are good for me, and every 2nd Tuesday is good as well which is promising!

Edited by Elise+Hudson

BAD is awsome I love training there as I said I have my older dog doing Tuesday nights there and my younger one there on Wednesday in the Elementry class, if you have done foundation work with Hudson you might be able to just go straight into Elementry on Wednesday, the good thing about BAD is you can turn up whenever and just pay the training fee if you don't do the foundation course.

BAD is awsome I love training there as I said I have my older dog doing Tuesday nights there and my younger one there on Wednesday in the Elementry class, if you have done foundation work with Hudson you might be able to just go straight into Elementry on Wednesday, the good thing about BAD is you can turn up whenever and just pay the training fee if you don't do the foundation course.

Can I assume you have Staffords going by your name? :)

There is not enough of them at any of the training places I attend - would love to see what a stafford competing in agility can do! That's my goal for Booker one day.

Sorry to go off topic OP.

I instructed at Metro when I lived in QLD and to be honest I find most obedience clubs are much the same. It may be ok for the average pet owner but makes it hard if you want to compete and be competitive as most clubs are still training pretty old school methods.

I found there's a better choice of clubs when it comes to agility though!

Can I assume you have Staffords going by your name? :)

There is not enough of them at any of the training places I attend - would love to see what a stafford competing in agility can do! That's my goal for Booker one day.

Sorry to go off topic OP.

I do have staffords well a staffy x that is now retired from agility she is now 15, I have 2 border collies now, we do have staffords training at the cub that also compete, there re a few staffords around that compete in agility that are very good.

Yours is the second post this morning that has made me go :eek: about training methods at clubs.

Personally - I would not be training at a club that required dogs to wear a check chain (and my boy also wears a snake chain for conformation - but my current dogs have never been trained in anything other than a flat collar). And the rationale that it's easier to check them, doesn't fill me with confidence about the training methods.

I would definitely recommend having a look at VIP - even though they're not specifically obedience, the foundation training there would be IMO much preferable - and easily transferable to obedience. Maree and Muttley (whose photos are on the front page of the website linked) are a wonderful team - tears to the eyes stuff. Muttley just retired from Dances with Dogs competition at the Ekka this year - but still appears in the Outback show.

Lisey, there's a great little Stafford in Victoria who just completed his Agility Chapion title - he's quite often handled in Masters by his owner's daughter - who is just 10 I think - she handled him in Agility Nationals last year - and you should see them at Nationals at Durack next year, all being well.

Lisey, there's a great little Stafford in Victoria who just completed his Agility Chapion title - he's quite often handled in Masters by his owner's daughter - who is just 10 I think - she handled him in Agility Nationals last year - and you should see them at Nationals at Durack next year, all being well.

Wow!! That's great. What's his name?

I go to BAD on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and the training that we get is awsome, Elise+Hudson if you have done agility before you might not need to go on Wednesday night you might be able to go straight to tuesday, you can always turn up on a Tuesday night without Hudson and take a look.

:whip: hehehehe. Back tonight for more fun!

This just made me smile.