I Just Got Bitten By A Dog!

andrewang

I was taking my usual route to school when I noticed a border collie wandering on the walkway. I ignored it and kept walking. It leaned in to sniff at me and grabbed my knee! Thank god I was wearing jeans and it couldn't get a grip on me. I shouted at it and backed away while eyeing it. It started scratching at a door and someone opened the door to allow it in.

I went to school to check out the damage and realise it was worse than I thought. There were puncture wounds and bleeding . I called the council and they said a Ranger will go take a look.

What will the Ranger do to the dog? I feel kinda bad now going straight to the council without speaking to the owner first.

I wouldn't fancy knocking on their door terribly if the dog were going to answer... you were en route somewhere, you shouldn't have to stop and tell the owners their dog bit you. If the dog scratched at the door and they casually let him in, they probably know he gets out. I would be very surprised to hear my dog scratching at the front door.

Not sure what the ranger will do, but you certainly shouldn't feel bad. It's you this time, a (so I assume!) healthy, able bodied guy. What if the next person isn't so lucky? If my dog bit someone I would expect the council around, I'd be pretty mortified too.

Hopefully they get their butts into gear and confine the dog properly.

Edited by Steph M

Firstly go to the doctor! You'll need antibiotics asap and possibly a tetanus update.

Then you'll also have a report to prove you were bitten and stating the extent of the injuries.

It's not as simple as rangers grabbing the dog for euthanasia as far as I know so you haven't instantly condemned the dog by reporting it. There's a process, in the end they may face fines, a dangerous dog declaration and enforcement of fencing or containment.

That's my understanding of the setup in NSW, not sure about VIC. Follow it through. If they have a biter out wandering it really needs sorting for it's own safety and that of the public.

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Powerlegs

hopefully the owners will learn from it and will prevent another attack,which would be a bad result for both the dog and the victim,if you didn't report it they would be none the wiser and probably let it out again.