Sid's Endurance Test

huga

I thought I'd share some of the photos I took at the endurance test on Sunday at Kingaroy. There were 7 dogs all together and they all passed with flying colours :)

If anyone recognises any of the dogs, please let their owners know.

We had perfect weather, first vet check was around 4.30am and it was 0 degrees. Not sure what the temp was when they finished, but pretty sure it stayed under 20.

9598068192_3d35b7c8ed_z.jpg

9598068840_b48043eb43_z.jpg

After the first 8kms. He didn't really even pant the whole time.

9595278171_515ce14cba_z.jpg

His breeder did the test with him, I just trained him up :) She has also titled his mum - they are the only two frenchies in Australia with their ET.

The photos aren't the best, I had to keep my distance, because if he spotted me he tried to come over.

9598060932_13695c96a8_z.jpg

9598062622_bfa6b7304e_z.jpg

9598063618_1ddb0435f5_z.jpg

9598064836_16fd42d492_z.jpg

A phone photo of the first vet check, he is getting his temp taken - hence the face :laugh: There are four checks in total - one before, one after 8kms, one after 6kms and one final one after the last 6kms. They have their temp taken, heart rate recorded and also condition of feet checked. His heart rate started at 140bpm and was 108bpm by the final check :laugh: I think it was just Sid and the malinois left standing, ready to go again - everyone else was flaked out on the grass.

1e43cce60cef11e39d6822000a9e0849_7.jpg

Way to go Sid. That is quite a big achievement.

I helped out with vetting at a couple here in SA some years back. I found it interesting how many dogs had a drop in heart rate and some temp over the 20 kms. It seemed like it should be the opposite but the vet said it is because they are normally excited from the trip when they arrive and then just settle into a rhythm. it didn't happen with all dogs but probably half to 2/3 of them.

Great photos, I love how happy everyone looks in them. Sid looks so small compared to the other dogs, i wonder if he he put another five km on them with his smaller stride lol. Good on you for getting him so fit...go the Frenchies!

What a brilliant little man, fantastic to see :) I know where I would be looking if I was after a Frenchie thats for sure :)

I love training for and doing the ET with my dogs, I have titled two now of different breeds. I did get asked both times if my dogs ever got excited about anything as their heart rates were very low and they would stand there half asleep and looking bored during vet checks etc :)

They have to do a willingness test before and after, so I took him for the second one :) Obviously the other dogs have done official obedience, judging by their sits :laugh:

9590096962_ed1f3a1ab4_z.jpg

and this one, you look so excited and proud and Sid's like 'yeah, so what?'

We learned our lesson after the first lap, he heard my voice and tried to come over. And then after each break, he tried to veer over to me until I was out of sight.

The presentation was probably an hour or so after the race finished. He was standing around for a while, waiting to see what was going to happen next and then I crated him while we had breakfast. He ended up snoozing and I had to wake him up for the presentation - that's why he looks so zonked :laugh: